So how much money do those evil conniving climate scientists make anyway?

Obviously, the UN is a political organization and when the IPCC was first formed, its members were hand-selected by their governments. But the idea that all those governments had the same aims is ludicrous. What they did have in common was a fairly strong desire not to rock the boat. The first two IPCC assessment reports were made more conservative by political influences. That is, the science supported more alarm than the politicians wanted to publish.

However, the world was getting data from other places as well. The IPCC funds NO science. Everything they use is science published on its own right in the normal science publications. Through those normal channels, the world began to assimilate the idea that man-made global warming was more dangerous than the IPCC was telling them. This empowered the scientists working for the UN and political biases towards threat minimization almost disappeared.

The paranoid fantasies that we see from deniers here; that the IPCC wants to take over the world or destroy the world or whatever nonsense they are spouting today is patently absurd. You will frequently see people chastizing the critical thinking of their opponents here. If you, yourself wish to be critical in your evaluations of these various claims, your first step ought to be to eliminate those claims that do not pass a simple sanity check. That every single man-jack of the thousands of the world's climate scientists is involved in a perfectly secure, perfectly functioning, decades long conspiracy to deceive the public in order to... who knows, does NOT pass a simple sanity check. That the IPCC has some political motivation that drives all their work is just another variation of the same failed nonsense.
Riiiiiight...."Scientists" hand picked by politicians aren't going to give their benefactors exactly the results that they want to get.

Wanna buy some seaside property in Arizona?

The IPCC has been in existence now for almost 31 years. Very few of the original employees are still there and the point of my comment is that governments now put less pressure on scientists than they did and that when they did, their aim was to MINIMIZE the threat the IPCC conclusions saw in global warming. These refute your contentions.

Does the IPCC still produce a report for policy makers which maintains its alarmist nature, leaving out a great deal of the uncertainty that exists regarding the climate?

The answer is yes...it is a political body providing alarmist claptrap to politicians...and meat heads who are anxious to be fooled.

Red herrings? Where do you see a red herring?

You and others have claimed that the IPCC is driven by political considerations. I am stating that is no longer the case. Where do you see a red herring Mr Linguist?
Amount of time in existence is proof of nothing....A red herring.

The "intergovernmental" part gives it away as being purely political, not scientific.

I think what is given away here is that you're not the expert you've claimed to be.

Red herrings? Where do you see a red herring?

You and others have claimed that the IPCC is driven by political considerations. I am stating that is no longer the case. Where do you see a red herring Mr Linguist?
Amount of time in existence is proof of nothing....A red herring.

The "intergovernmental" part gives it away as being purely political, not scientific.

I think what is given away here is that you're not the expert you've claimed to be.
What's given away is that your are a naive rube.....A perfect mark for hustlers and scammers everywhere.

your are a naive rube.....A perfect mark for hustlers and scammers everywhere.

You are truly a master of words.

I notice you recently been avoiding my replies to you, a brooding master of the loss of words?

Here is the latest one you ignored.

Post 214

By his own admission, he doesn't know anything at all about the science, or the evidence...he operates on the presumption that climate scientists are the smartest, most honorable, altruistic people on the face of the earth.

His belief in climate scientists borders on the fervent belief often placed in religious beliefs, and especially on the leaders of cults . He is quick to denigrate anyone who questions what climate scientists have to say, or dares point out the stark lack of evidence to support the claims being made. He suggested that because I question climate science, I must be an anti science, religious fundamentalist redneck. When I questioned if he is prejudiced against people of faith, he acknowledged that he sometimes is...completely failing to see that his own position is indistinguishable from the most fervent believers in the various religions. It would be interesting to have a long conversation with him about the nature of that prejudice...is it the fact that they believe (which would be terribly ironic) or what they believe?

Oh yes, and apparently climate scientists possess some esoteric knowledge that you can only get if you are a climate scientist...because only a climate scientist can know what the literature says, what it demonstrates, how it was gathered, what its source is, what methods were used to evaluate the data, and what it means. Quite a claim for a soft science, but there it is.

Last edited:
mired in "yeah but the experts say...."

"The experts don't agree with me. A minor detail."
Just fuck off, OK....Appeal to authority is your only argument....One I'm no longer going to suffer.

You "suffer" appeals to authority all the time. And as an expert like you would know, it is perfectly valid in a case such as the massive majority opinion of almost every single climate scientist on the planet.

Just fuck off, OK....Appeal to authority is your only argument....One I'm no longer going to suffer.

You "suffer" appeals to authority all the time. And as an expert like you would know, it is perfectly valid in a case such as the massive majority opinion of almost every single climate scientist on the planet.

An appeal to authority is only valid if the "authority" can provide actual evidence to support the claims to which the authority is being referenced...in the case of climate science, no observed, measured evidence can be produced supporting their claims and thus calling into question their status as the authority...an authority who makes claims that can't be supported is no authority at all.

Oddball,

I'm wondering why an expert such as yourself would criticize someone for using what you HAVE to know was a perfectly valid argument. So... uh... why?

Oddball,

I'm wondering why an expert such as yourself would criticize someone for using what you HAVE to know was a perfectly valid argument. So... uh... why?

There are no perfectly valid arguments for AGW....because there is no observed, measured evidence to support the claim that the present climate is in any way different from natural variability...it is politically based alarmism...nothing more...and the pressure., and embarrassment of not being able to support your claims has driven you to run away....clamp your hands over your ears as tightly as you can and scream LA LA LA at the top of your lungs...

Oddball,

Obviously, >97% of the world's climate scientists represent a genuine authority on AGW, the topic under discussion. So, how can you criticize someone for using "Appeal to Authority" improperly?

Opinion isn't science.....But you already knew that, didn't you?

You remind me of the old joke that has been floating around libertarian and ancap circles since the dawn of time.

Q: What's the difference between a libertarian and an anarcho-capitalist?
A: Six months.

Though the time frame is rather exaggerated, the essential reality remains: you can't evade the truth forever...Or, as one of my mentors is fond of saying, "you cannot unthink thoughts".

You have been exposed to the truth that the writings of the AGW fundamentalists are loaded down with language that, to the thinking person, casts a shadow of doubt as to whether or not they really do know that they're right...Even though, for awhile at least, you'll be able to gloss over their equivocations, it's now completely impossible for you to ignore them...Now, I don't know whether or not you'll come to the realization that you've been had right away, or whether it will take some time...But the fact remains that, from this point forward, every ambiguity, every equivocation, every qualification, every parsing, every use of fudging and doubtful words like "may", "might", "could", will jump off the page at you...You'll begin to notice what has been there all along for you to see...And though you'll try to ignore this at first (we in the industry call this negative hallucination), it will still be there right before you, to sow the seeds of doubt and incredulity that such language inevitably does.

You've been red pilled, and you didn't even know it.

Last edited:
Oddball,

Obviously, >97% of the world's climate scientists represent a genuine authority on AGW, the topic under discussion. So, how can you criticize someone for using "Appeal to Authority" improperly?

still posting that 97% myth and hoping it sticks to the wall?

your are a naive rube.....A perfect mark for hustlers and scammers everywhere.

You are truly a master of words.

I notice you recently been avoiding my replies to you, a brooding master of the loss of words?

Here is the latest one you ignored.

Post 214

By his own admission, he doesn't know anything at all about the science, or the evidence...he operates on the presumption that climate scientists are the smartest, most honorable, altruistic people on the face of the earth.

His belief in climate scientists borders on the fervent belief often placed in religious beliefs, and especially on the leaders of cults . He is quick to denigrate anyone who questions what climate scientists have to say, or dares point out the stark lack of evidence to support the claims being made. He suggested that because I question climate science, I must be an anti science, religious fundamentalist redneck. When I questioned if he is prejudiced against people of faith, he acknowledged that he sometimes is...completely failing to see that his own position is indistinguishable from the most fervent believers in the various religions. It would be interesting to have a long conversation with him about the nature of that prejudice...is it the fact that they believe (which would be terribly ironic) or what they believe?

Oh yes, and apparently climate scientists possess some esoteric knowledge that you can only get if you are a climate scientist...because only a climate scientist can know what the literature says, what it demonstrates, how it was gathered, what its source is, what methods were used to evaluate the data, and what it means. Quite a claim for a soft science, but there it is.

Yeah he never realizes how often published science papers gets RETRACTED for various reasons that show they are not acceptable.

Retraction Watch

Scientists and associated researchers have been wrong too many times to be placing unthinking reliance on them.

The same way with Consensus beliefs that have been found wrong many times later on.

Bullshit.

James Powell, in a 2017 study found better than 99% of science papers published between 1991 and 2015 supported AGW. How many of those papers, the newest of which were 2 years old at the time of the study, do you think had been retracted?

Bullshit.

James Powell, in a 2017 study found better than 99% of science papers published between 1991 and 2015 supported AGW. How many of those papers, the newest of which were 2 years old at the time of the study, do you think had been retracted?
Another qualification: published papers.

When people like the IPCC are famous for excluding and blackballing skeptics, the coming up with outlandish numbers like 99% is a forgone conclusion.

The deceitful language just falls off the page, when you know what to look for. :laugh:

Oddball,

More evidence that the AGW fundies are blowing environmentally unfriendly smoke: preposterous claims...BTW, that 97% myth was debunked before lunchtime on the day it was released.

Popular Technology.net: 97 Articles Refuting The "97% Consensus"

Last edited:
Oddball,

More evidence that the AGW fundies are blowing environmentally unfriendly smoke: preposterous claims...BTW, that 97% myth was debunked before lunchtime on the day it was released.

Popular Technology.net: 97 Articles Refuting The "97% Consensus"

This one is from your link, the Guardian even says this about Cook's garbage paper:

The claim of a 97% consensus on global warming does not stand up
Consensus is irrelevant in science. There are plenty of examples in history where everyone agreed and everyone was wrong

LINK
==================================
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

How can anyone still think Cooks paper is worth more than shit level after 5 years, when even the Guardian publish against it?

Scientific opinion on climate change - Wikipedia

James L. Powell, a former member of the National Science Board and current executive director of the National Physical Science Consortium, analyzed published research on global warming and climate change between 1991 and 2012 and found that of the 13,950 articles in peer-reviewed journals, only 24 rejected anthropogenic global warming.[141] A follow-up analysis looking at 2,258 peer-reviewed climate articles with 9,136 authors published between November 2012 and December 2013 revealed that only one of the 9,136 authors rejected anthropogenic global warming.[142] His 2015 paper on the topic, covering 24,210 articles published by 69,406 authors during 2013 and 2014 found only five articles by four authors rejecting anthropogenic global warming. Over 99.99% of climate scientists did not reject AGW in their peer-reviewed research.[143]

In his latest paper, Powell reported that using rejection as the criterion of consensus, five surveys of the peer-reviewed literature from 1991 to 2015, including several of those above, combine to 54,195 articles with an average consensus of 99.94%.[144]

1280px-The_Consensus_on_Anthropogenic_Global_Warming%2C_2017.jpg

Forum List

Back