So How Much Military Is 2 Much Military?

The military hasn't represented a majority of government workers in a long time. There are 900k military personell. There are something more than 20 million government workers.

And I'll match wits with you on geography any day of the week frump and win hands down.

Last edited:
And I'll match wits with you on geography any day of the week frump and win hands down.

Depends. If you're talking about certain aspects of geography - ie where is Ayers Rock or Devil's Tower, that might be possible. If you are talking about different countries etc and their capitals, their types of govt and a little of their history, go for it. I await with baited breath....

Because you go in all guns blazing without picking the right fights..

WWI and WWII and Korea - right fights
Viet Nam, Iraq, Black Ops in Central America in the 80s - wrong fights....

This caught my eye.

Explain how WWI was the 'right fight' considering the UK and France had massive colonial empires that treated the locals like dirt whereas Germany had a marginal colonial empire that treated the locals like dirt.

agreed. same with Korea.

This caught my eye.

Explain how WWI was the 'right fight' considering the UK and France had massive colonial empires that treated the locals like dirt whereas Germany had a marginal colonial empire that treated the locals like dirt.

You make a fair point. I would say the Austro-Hungary Empire was the major cause of the war, not the Germans, although they ended up running their end of it.

I would disagree re the UK. If you look at their former colonies - Australia, US, NZ, Canada, South Africa, Hong Kong and even Kenya to a degree, the locals are a lot better off than they would have been under Germany.

As for France, well, most of their colonies are shit holes IMO...

What sparked the Sepoy Rebellion and when did it take place and in what countries. Hint it was at the time one fo the lager British colonies.

From the same country who was Asa and to what does the Aryan invasion theory apply and when did it supposedly occur and in what region.

What sparked the Sepoy Rebellion and when did it take place and in what countries. Hint it was at the time one fo the lager British colonies.

From the same country who was Asa and to what does the Aryan invasion theory apply and when did it supposedly occur and in what region.

The first part - bullets encased in pig fat I believe....It only took place in India as far as I'm aware. What were the other countries involved?

Aryan invasion is a "theory"? I once witnessed an Indian and a Canadian have a real set to on a messageboard about this subject. The Indian was adamant it was not a theory, but fact. The Canadian took the opposing view. It supposedly occurred in the North of India (which is why you will find a few blue-eyed Indians there). I have no idea who Asa is/was.

That aside, I did say in my post a "little" history. These questions are all history, not geography IMO...

When you reach the point that the public ( not the Party in power) isn't willing to fully equip and fund the military they have.

I might add that it's pissing me off that the party in power keep threatening to pull what little benefits these voluntary hero's get, especially at the lower ranks. I visited my son at his Army Base and the prices at the PX were higher than Macy's, what the hell is that about?

When you reach the point that the public ( not the Party in power) isn't willing to fully equip and fund the military they have.

I might add that it's pissing me off that the party in power keep threatening to pull what little benefits these voluntary hero's get, especially at the lower ranks. I visited my son at his Army Base and the prices at the PX were higher than Macy's, what the hell is that about?

Direct us to some government links that show the current admin is doing that.

The military hasn't represented a majority of government workers in a long time. There are 900k military personell. There are something more than 20 million government workers.

FYI, Here's the real numbers about how many Federal employees there are, and how many of them are military GaryD.

You're off by a factor of 10!

As you can clearly see, the largest number of Federal employees are in the MILITARY.

FYI there are about 1.8 million federal employees in total.

About 623,000 or so of them are MILITARY.

(the following has been edited and modified to fit into this page)

Table 1. Federal Government executive branch civilian employment, except U.S. Postal Service, January 2007

(Employment in thousands) 1,774,000

Executive departments 1,593
Defense, total 623
Army 223
Navy 168
Air Force 152
Other
Veterans Affairs
Homeland Security
Treasury
Justice
Agriculture
Interior
Health and Human Services
Transportation
Commerce
Labor
Energy
State
Housing and Urban Development
Education

Independent agencies
Social Security Administration
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Environmental Protection Agency
Tennessee Valley Authority
General Services Administration
Small Business Administration
Office of Personnel Management
Other

SOURCE: U.S. Office of Personnel Management

Source

It all comes down to what is your threat
The US has always been at an advantage by not having a local threat. Many nations (China, banana republics) maintain a military to control their own citizens and keep whatever dictator in power. The US has rarely had to use its military (National Guard) to control its own citizens.
We also benefit from having massive oceans on both sides and peaceful nations to the north and south. We have never had to maintain a military to protect our borders or coasts from a major invasion.
We have the most powerful military in the history or mankind. Its purpose is to project our power globally vs having to use it domestically. So, how much military do we really need? To protect US soil, we need very little. To play policeman to the world we need a force of about what we have right now

Sadly,a lot of americans do not know much about geography of the world that's true and while not defending that it does seem that because of the sheer size of the United States when compared to Europe it does lend itself to most of those that live in Europe being more familier with their neighbors that a lot of Americans would as they tend to travel more into those nations where as Americans tend to stay home more. Again, this is not an excuse for someone not having a basic knowledge of the world, however it may explain a few instances rather than paint everyone into a one light or the other.

A little snippet concering Colonial powers dealing with natives:

None of the "main colonisers" had a equivalent policy in all of their colonies.

The Germans in Samoa were amongst the most beneign colonisers (the former German part of Samoa still has its native culture, the other parts much less so), the Germans in Namibia made a little test run in experimenting with Genocides.

If I had a random choice in the Imperialistic era, I would have prefered to be colonised by either Russia (all of the native Siberian people are alive and quite well today), since they A) dont have a settlement drive like the US and B) usually had enough other problems to worry than "Russofying" myself.

France would be a contender for those wishing to gain access to European education, of the colonial powers they were the ones who were most likely to view "civilised" natives as "civilised". The Dutch would be bad for my paycheck, and quite bad if I would happen to be black (slavery is not fun), but live wasnt that bad in Sumatra. Besides, Sumatra has nice beaches.

Considering the English: If I am a member of the current elite than yes, if I am than I rather opt for "Le grande Nation".

Forum List

Back