So how do you think the debate will effect the race?

theim

May 11, 2004
Madison, WI
I would have put this in the Debate thoughts thread, but that one seems to be degenerating into a debate on whether nouns can attack.

Do you think this debate will give John Kerry the lead in the polls? Most of the media seem to agree that he won. I'm anxious to hear what others think about this, as I am dreading that Kerry may have closed the gap. Bush was nowhere near as aggressive as I wished him to be, and many times I found myself wishing he would react to some Kerry claims such as "tax cuts for the rich" or explain that Saddam Hussein was a terrorist ENABLER which is almost, if not as bad as a terrorist itself.

theim said:
I would have put this in the Debate thoughts thread, but that one seems to be degenerating into a debate on whether nouns can attack.

Do you think this debate will give John Kerry the lead in the polls? Most of the media seem to agree that he won. I'm anxious to hear what others think about this, as I am dreading that Kerry may have closed the gap. Bush was nowhere near as aggressive as I wished him to be, and many times I found myself wishing he would react to some Kerry claims such as "tax cuts for the rich" or explain that Saddam Hussein was a terrorist ENABLER which is almost, if not as bad as a terrorist itself.

Most of the media has found its a draw. Kerry won on style, but Bush won on discussion points. I think the American people will be swayed more by substance then style.

I hope you're right. The big thing was that even though Bush's ideas were better, he paused and stuttered occasionally while Kerry was clear and articulate.

theim said:
I hope you're right. The big thing was that even though Bush's ideas were better, he paused and stuttered occasionally while Kerry was clear and articulate.

just because someone say something clear and concise doesnt mean he has anything worth saying. if articulation determined intelligence Stephen Hawkins would be seen as an idiot.

besides i saw quite a number of Kerry flubs. he often says things that make no sense grammaticly. and i think the wanting to offer nuclear fuel to Iran is one of many major reasons why his foreign policy would be very dangerous, despite the disagreements of the die hard Kerry supporters.

No idea. Fred Barnes was saying before the debate that these things don't sway elections, which gave me pause. Barnes is a partisan and that sort of comment, from a partisan of a candidate who is leading, strikes me as defeatist.

Also, as I said in the other thread, many a pundit said this sort of thing was directed toward the center and undecided voters. It's difficult for me to imagine which way those individuals might view the debate. All the commentators seemed to think a.) most people tune out after 30 mins. and b.) the President was strong at first, but faded out. I tend to think he did best in the end, but if even the liberal pundit thought he came out strong who knows...

I would hazard a guess and say it won't have much effect. Considering, going into this I assumed the President would crush him, I can't say I'm overly excited.

I was hoping he would put it away. Seems he'd rather it be a nail biter.

Actually, most media outlets call a win for Kerry. Bush could be heard, by those actually listening, saying the same four or five things OVER and OVER again. His entire debate material could have been outlined on a 3x5 index card! Anyone notice how he repeatedly failed to use 2 minutes? Anyone notice how he tried to fill those two minutes with the same 4 or 5 talking points over and over again. How many times did he say 'It's hard work in Iraq! I know that!'? About a dozen times.

My favorite part was how he retorted, "I knew that Osama attacked us! I knew that!" A+, Dubya.

nakedemperor said:
Actually, most media outlets call a win for Kerry. Bush could be heard, by those actually listening, saying the same four or five things OVER and OVER again. His entire debate material could have been outlined on a 3x5 index card! Anyone notice how he repeatedly failed to use 2 minutes? Anyone notice how he tried to fill those two minutes with the same 4 or 5 talking points over and over again. How many times did he say 'It's hard work in Iraq! I know that!'? About a dozen times.

My favorite part was how he retorted, "I knew that Osama attacked us! I knew that!" A+, Dubya.

Well atleast the President didnt promise to offer the Iranians nuclear capabilities if they promise not to create nuclear weapons like John Kerry just did.

Well atleast the President didnt promise to offer the Iranians nuclear capabilities if they promise not to create nuclear weapons like John Kerry just did.

Are...are you serious? You're aware that there's a crucial difference between nuclear fuel and weapons grade nuclear materials, don't you? This is so typical of conservative blogs tonight-- they're all disappointed with the president's performance and have instead turned a a critical eye towards Kerry's rhetoric to claim victory. And your criticism isn't even valid. Ruh-roh...

Most of the media has found its a draw. Kerry won on style, but Bush won on discussion points. I think the American people will be swayed more by substance then style.

A wash is bad for Kerry, and that it was a wash was my take as well. Simply Kerry sounded better but Bush made some good hits and especially near the end he made up some ground. However Bush's pauses seemed to me that he was thinking out the best way to answer the question without calling his opponent a total idiot.

I think Bush could have been more agressive.

nakedemperor said:
Are...are you serious? You're aware that there's a crucial difference between nuclear fuel and weapons grade nuclear materials, don't you? This is so typical of conservative blogs tonight-- they're all disappointed with the president's performance and have instead turned a a critical eye towards Kerry's rhetoric to claim victory. And your criticism isn't even valid. Ruh-roh...

You do realize that the Nuclear Power Generators they use are from Russia, and they are specifically designed not for efficiency but to put out as a by-product Weapons Grade Materials. By promising fuel, he has promised them Weapons Grade Materials. ruh-roh! His "rhetoric" was actually a fact and is valid.

nakedemperor said:

You seriously arent suggesting we give any sort of nuclear capability to Iran are you? Does Kerry really think they want to work with us in a peaceful way? They Iranian government has only been openly hostile the United States since Carter's incompetancy allowed them to take power and kidnap our people. The fact that Kerry wants to offer our enemies any sort of nuclear capacity is mind boggling. We what happened when Clinton did it with North Korea, do we really want a repeat?

So Kerry voters are voting based on style, and Bush voters are voting based on substance...............Gee that's a tough one?? :stupid:

I don't think the debates will change anything enough to make a difference on election day.......JMO

Bonnie said:
I don't think the debates will change anything enough to make a difference on election day.......JMO

This is probably correct. "Winning" a debate by enough to make a difference usually involves the other side making a major mistake. That did not happen last night. I agree with those that suggest Bush was not assertive enough. It seemed like he played the debate to be sure he did not lose.

Regarding Kerry's suggestion of giving nuclear fuel to Iran, it is absurd. It implies that oil rich Iran wants nuclear capability to generate electricity. For those who believe that, I have this bridge I want to sell...

Bonnie said:
So Kerry voters are voting based on style, and Bush voters are voting based on substance...............Gee that's a tough one?? :stupid:

On vote.com, there's a poll asking if the debates will change your mind. It's eighty some percent answering "NO". Most people have already made up their mind, and the debates won't change anything. That's where I'm at. I'm voting for President Bush, just like I would have six month's ago.

I wouldn't vote for kerry if his opponent was the devil himself. Because quite frankly, I don't think the devil would be as big of a liberal as kerry is, and the devil sure doesn't flip flop.

Forum List

Back