So Here's A Question I Have

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
trillions of dollars just disappeared from WallStreet. The people who are the real losers are the stockholders. These companies were publishing AAA ratings and continued selling stocks while knowing they were cooking the books and were about to go bust.
There is no recourse for the stockholders. They are just out whatever money they had invested.

So, why would anyone in their right mind ever invest another dime in the stockmarket? Do you think this will have an effect on investment? at least until the memory of this event dims a little?

people 50 and over will probably never invest in the stock market again if they lost a great deal of their Pensions and 401k retirements etc in this mess....and on top of this the 700 billion bail out also make social security much more on shakey ground, so they are really shit out of luck...as the saying goes...

guess many more children will be having to take in their parents in old age...making it harder on them to be able to live their own lives and save for their own retirements....

Anyone young, who has 20 or 30 years, probably should be buying in to the lows, on solid companies...i'd follow buffet's buys in this mess.... :D

Now is a good time to sell out and max out your credit cards.

In the immortal words of Louis XV, "Apres moi, le deluge...."

people 50 and over will probably never invest in the stock market again if they lost a great deal of their Pensions and 401k retirements etc in this mess....and on top of this the 700 billion bail out also make social security much more on shakey ground, so they are really shit out of luck...as the saying goes...

guess many more children will be having to take in their parents in old age...making it harder on them to be able to live their own lives and save for their own retirements....

Anyone young, who has 20 or 30 years, probably should be buying in to the lows, on solid companies...i'd follow buffet's buys in this mess.... :D

I think I would rather handle my own money than trust it to this brilliant govenment of ours.

I think I would rather handle my own money than trust it to this brilliant govenment of ours.

handle it how?

like those private pensions that just got wiped out?

like the private pensions you negotiated for with them, that they now say they didn't put enough away for them, by mistake of course... and they now tell the employees...so sad too bad?

like putting your money in a 401k private retirement which saves on taxes, for it to bust right before you retire in a fall like the one this week or one much bigger, when none of it was your own fault, and you get stuck bailing the crooks with your tax monies???

retirement is a 3 legged stool was what we were taught...pensions from jobs, social security, own private savings....

hopefully, in the very least, ones social security, taken out of their own pay, should be secure...in case the other two legs break....

of course, this isn't the way things are turning out.... :(

handle it how?

like the private pensions you negotiated for with them, that they now say they didn't put enough away for them, by mistake of course... and they now tell the employees...so sad too bad?

like putting your money in a 401k private retirement which saves on taxes, for it to bust right before you retire in a fall like the one this week or one much bigger, when none of it was your own fault, and you get stuck bailing the crooks with your tax monies???

retirement is a 3 legged stool was what we were taught...pensions from jobs, social security, own private savings....

hopefully, in the very least, ones social security, taken out of their own pay, should be secure...in case the other two legs break....

right--it isn't---so I'll handle my own money.

Buffet's GE investment is intriguing.... following Buffet normally pays off... but I am not so sure on this one...

Buffet can afford to lose money, many cannot. Buffet is counting on this bailout money.

handle it how?

If you are within 10 years of retirement, prudent investment philosophy would be to allocate 60%-70% in bonds, 10% cash and 20-30% equity. One needs to constantly evaluate their retirement resources and allocate to the appropriate assets that provide the level of risk you are willing to take to reach your goal.

Buffet can afford to lose money, many cannot. Buffet is counting on this bailout money.

but he never has lost money....he's not a risk taker or gambler, he knows inside out who he's buying and their potential...that's my take on him!

i still wouldn't go in to the stock market but there is no other choice if you have a 401k with employer...

Now is a good time to sell out and max out your credit cards.

In the immortal words of Louis XV, "Apres moi, le deluge...."

You might be right, Barach.

We teeter between hyperinflation and hyperdeflation in this crises.

If they bail out the banks foolishly (by not helping out the homeowners FIRST) they'll inflate the money supply to get their pals out of debt.

If we don't, and do nothing, then the money supply contracts and then cash is truly king.

I think, given that so many masters of the universe depend in the fiat credit system lasting for a while longer, you can count on them inflating the money supply long enough, at least, for our masters to get their money into things with intrensic value.

I wondered why Bush II bought that 64 square mile ranchero in Uruguay, now I'm guessing I know exactly why.

This could be a great time to invest in the market if you know what you;re doing.

Buying on margin might be a tad difficult to do though.

Buffet's GE investment is intriguing.... following Buffet normally pays off... but I am not so sure on this one...

He bought PREFERRED STOCKS.

You do know what that means, right?

FYI, you aren't invited to THAT party, dude.

If you have a diverse portfolio and enough reserve cash (savings) to get you through the next five years... sit tight. The market has a way of righting itself.

Obviously, this is not the time to bail on your stocks.

people within 5 or 10 years of retirement should have very little of their retirement in equities. They would be doing OK even now if they followed this sage advice.

Forum List

Back