"So help me God"

UsaPride

Mar 13, 2004
NC
Reading another thread, Pale Rider struck 2 questions in me, LOL!
When you are "under oath" you have sworn on a Bible to God that you are telling nothing but the truth. If some people don't believe in God then being "under oath" wouldn't make a difference to them, because if there is no God to swear too then you can lie. Right? And, why do some people who don't believe in God worry about other people testifying under oath? Like when some people were upset that Pres. Bush didn't speak to the 911 commision under oath, some of the people I've talked to about this don't believe in God, so what difference does it make to them.
This probably doesn't make any sense, LOL, forgive me, I'm tired. But in my tired state, it really does sound like good questions, LOL.

Originally posted by Hannitized
When you are "under oath" you have sworn on a Bible to God that you are telling nothing but the truth. If some people don't believe in God then being "under oath" wouldn't make a difference to them, because if there is no God to swear too then you can lie. Right? And, why do some people who don't believe in God worry about other people testifying under oath? Like when some people were upset that Pres. Bush didn't speak to the 911 commision under oath, some of the people I've talked to about this don't believe in God, so what difference does it make to them.
This probably doesn't make any sense, LOL, forgive me, I'm tired. But in my tired state, it really does sound like good questions, LOL.

People who run from God and claim no belief have no moral foundation and they know it. They believe in moral relativism and fear others are the same way.

Human nature works like this.

Originally posted by NewGuy
People who run from God and claim no belief have no moral foundation and they know it. They believe in moral relativism and fear others are the same way.

and you know, without a doubt, that those who 'run from god' as you say, have no morals?

I don't believe in moral relativism.

Perhaps their is no foundation beneath it as you might mean it, but I certainly possess morals.

In fact, I think I'm more christian than most christians.

Still, I'd take the oath, what do I care? At this point it's merely a formality.

I once heard though that their was an option for people who for whatever reason chose not to swear on the Bible. What that option might be, or if it's even true, I do not know.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
and you know, without a doubt, that those who 'run from god' as you say, have no morals?

In your last few posts you seemed a little on the antagonistic side. I apologize for possibly misinterpreting, but that sure is how it seemed.

I never said the people in question had no morals. I said there was no FOUNDATION.

In your last few posts you seemed a little on the antagonistic side. I apologize for possibly misinterpreting, but that sure is how it seemed.

I never said the people in question had no morals. I said there was no FOUNDATION.

pardon my antagonism, I'm just not fond of generalizations surrounding a broad group of people when it doesn't apply to all.

Thanks for the clarification on foundation. that makes sense.

pardon my antagonism, I'm just not fond of generalizations surrounding a broad group of people when it doesn't apply to all.

Thanks for the clarification on foundation. that makes sense.
:beer:

touchy much, DK??
You should be as even tempered and calm as I am.....

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! (i couldnt even keep a straight face on that one LMAO):p:

Foundations are created by creative and individual thought. Where do you think religons came from? Is there to be no more creative,individula thought that can be beileved?

Im writingmy newsletter on much of the same thing as what is being discussed in this thread. interesting

Originally posted by dilloduck
Foundations are created by creative and individual thought. Where do you think religons came from? Is there to be no more creative,individula thought that can be beileved?

Correct.

Religions, however, are not relationships.

A relationship with Christ is not a religion.

Originally posted by KLSuddeth
touchy much, DK??
You should be as even tempered and calm as I am.....

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! (i couldnt even keep a straight face on that one LMAO):p:

I started to smell ozone on that one. :p:

An oath sworn prior to one's testimony can omit any mention od a supreme being. It is still binding from a legal standpoint. Either way, if you perjure yourself, you can be charged with perjury.

Sorry old son, but I do have a moral foundation. That foundation is rooted in the consequences of my morals and ethics to this life, in this world.

As usual, your argument is without merit.

It boils down to the fact that there is a "Bible" in a "court of law", and anyone testifying is "required" to take the oath with the left hand on the Bible, and the right hand risen.
The ACLU will demand that the "Bible" be taken out of the oath, and you will be asked to swear to tell the truth, "so help you, *you*". Lying will still be against the law, but if you do, who do ultimately answer to? Well if you have no God, it will be yourself.

There was a day when most all of America believed in God. Judeo Christian beliefs is what this country was founded on. People "feared" that if they placed their hand on the Bible and swore to tell the truth, and then BROKE that oath they'd just made to GOD, it was like slapping the Lord in the face with a bold sin.

Since Christianity has come under uncreasing attack, and atheistic self gratification is becoming more and more popular, the ACLU is using this climate to further it's war on religon, in particular, Christianity.

This is only the beginning. Look at all the atheist on this board alone. Soon Christians will openly be chastised, "in public". They will be the few.

It's sad.

Contrary to the belief fosterd by members of the religious right, people are allowed to practice their religion without interference form the government...Or with the support of it. Unfortunately, Dubbyuh is blurring the line between church and state putting us on the slippery slope to goverment imposition of religious dogma upon the nation as a whole, or worse.

A Theist can be just as immoral as an Atheist and an Atheist can be just as moral as a Theist. One does not have to believe that God exists in order to do good.

“Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God?” It was at this exact moment Marlon Brando, as he was being sworn in as a witness at Christian Brando’s trial, stated that he would not, as a matter of fact, swear to tell the truth before God, and asked to take an atheist-appropriate oath. Mr. Brando was quickly given the alternate oath, was sworn in, and things progressed as normal. No great fuss or bother; a particular case was made and accepted by a court of law, his rights as a free thinking, autonomous human being were honored, and life continued.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Contrary to the belief fosterd by members of the religious right, people are allowed to practice their religion without interference form the government...Or with the support of it. Unfortunately, Dubbyuh is blurring the line between church and state putting us on the slippery slope to goverment imposition of religious dogma upon the nation as a whole, or worse.

Our "President", is a "Christian", and you take sport in slandering him. He's no different in his beliefs than the majority of American Presidents that came before him, and his policies pertaining to such are all within the law.

Unlike his predecessor, he isn't getting head from some fat little slut intern in the Oval Office and then denying it, AND THEN GOING TO CHURCH AND PRETENDING TO BE RELIGOUS like that sexual predator PIG slick willie.

Forum List

Back