"So help me God"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by UsaPride, May 14, 2004.

1. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Reading another thread, Pale Rider struck 2 questions in me, LOL!
    When you are "under oath" you have sworn on a Bible to God that you are telling nothing but the truth. If some people don't believe in God then being "under oath" wouldn't make a difference to them, because if there is no God to swear too then you can lie. Right? And, why do some people who don't believe in God worry about other people testifying under oath? Like when some people were upset that Pres. Bush didn't speak to the 911 commision under oath, some of the people I've talked to about this don't believe in God, so what difference does it make to them.
    This probably doesn't make any sense, LOL, forgive me, I'm tired. But in my tired state, it really does sound like good questions, LOL.

2. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    People who run from God and claim no belief have no moral foundation and they know it. They believe in moral relativism and fear others are the same way.

Human nature works like this.

3. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    and you know, without a doubt, that those who 'run from god' as you say, have no morals?

4. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I don't believe in moral relativism.

Perhaps their is no foundation beneath it as you might mean it, but I certainly possess morals.

In fact, I think I'm more christian than most christians.

Still, I'd take the oath, what do I care? At this point it's merely a formality.

I once heard though that their was an option for people who for whatever reason chose not to swear on the Bible. What that option might be, or if it's even true, I do not know.

5. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    In your last few posts you seemed a little on the antagonistic side. I apologize for possibly misinterpreting, but that sure is how it seemed.

I never said the people in question had no morals. I said there was no FOUNDATION.

6. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    pardon my antagonism, I'm just not fond of generalizations surrounding a broad group of people when it doesn't apply to all.

Thanks for the clarification on foundation. that makes sense.

7. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :beer:

8. KLSuddeth

KLSuddeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    touchy much, DK??
    You should be as even tempered and calm as I am.....

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! (i couldnt even keep a straight face on that one LMAO):p:

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Foundations are created by creative and individual thought. Where do you think religons came from? Is there to be no more creative,individula thought that can be beileved?

10. KLSuddeth

KLSuddeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Im writingmy newsletter on much of the same thing as what is being discussed in this thread. interesting