So, did Beck have his own tax problem?

So......Rush slams people for years on drug abuse and advocates no second chance, but when he is busted for drugs....we look the other way. Beck forgets to pay some taxes...and we look the other way. GOTCHA!

So......Rush slams people for years on drug abuse and advocates no second chance, but when he is busted for drugs....we look the other way. Beck forgets to pay some taxes...and we look the other way. GOTCHA!

Who is "we"? Do you have a turd in your pocket?

-TSO

Mercury, a private corporation that lists Beck as chief executive officer and his wife, Tania Beck, alternately as vice president or secretary, since 2007 has fallen behind on its New York City business income taxes and has been cited for filing errors related to its obligations under Texas franchise tax and New York state workers' compensation insurance rules.

Beck was not available for comment, and Mercury’s president, Chris Balfe, declined a requested interview. But a source with knowledge of the situation said that Mercury’s tax issues were minor, stemmed from bureaucratic confusion and were rectified quickly once the company learned of them.

There is a difference in avoiding paying personal income tax and not claiming income from off shore investments a la Charles Rangel and being a CEO and having an underling file inaccurate tax returns or not paying the tax bill.

I'm one of those underlings. If I don't pay the tax bill my boss doesn't necessarily know about it until he is hit in the face with a huge fine. I may lose my job over that, but he is ultimately responsible for the failure. That doesn't mean he had anything to do with my failures. The same goes for the treasurer. She signs the returns, but may not know if taxes have not been paid.

If it can be proven that he told them not to pay the taxes or had knowledge of the failure, that is one thing. It is not tax fraud to have made an error on a return... at least, I hope to hell it isn't... {gulp}

More of interest in the article:

Dean Zerbe, national managing director for a company called alliantgroup that provides specialty tax services to accounting firms, said Beck’s situation “has the look and feel of somebody who is confronting an extraordinarily complicated tax situation — or at least the people he’s hired to do these things are — and is trying to comply but isn’t doing everything perfectly.”

The same, however, could be said of most of the Obama nominees Beck has blasted for tax problems, said Zerbe, who called them “people who were trying to comply with the spirit and the intent of the law.”

Immie

Last edited:

Forum List

Back