So am I the only liberal here?

What's your affiliation... (choose all that apply)

• Total voters
I don't know where MissileMan places himself on the political spectrum, but I often find myself across the table from him, on any number of issues. He's tough, smart, and honest. I always have to bring my "A" game.

not the only liberal here, but there aren't many of us. I too wish that the place had a more even representation. I also wish that people were less raucous in their name-calling. But there are plenty of smart people here, and I enjoy reading their different points of view.

Personally, I think the reason liberals don't stay here long is that the board is clearly set up as a conservative site, not a neutral one. After feeling outnumbered for a while, people probably give up. Also, it's not that often that the conservatives here will actually concede a point. Unless you're ready to be called a "liberal whack job" repeatedly, you won't be comfortable here. I ignore the ad hominem attacks and try to argue on the basis of ideas and factual accounts. It's nice to see a warmer side of a few of the regular aggressors in their welcoming posts to you.

Welcome.

Mariner

Mariner said:
not the only liberal here, but there aren't many of us. I too wish that the place had a more even representation. I also wish that people were less raucous in their name-calling. But there are plenty of smart people here, and I enjoy reading their different points of view.

Personally, I think the reason liberals don't stay here long is that the board is clearly set up as a conservative site, not a neutral one. After feeling outnumbered for a while, people probably give up. Also, it's not that often that the conservatives here will actually concede a point. Unless you're ready to be called a "liberal whack job" repeatedly, you won't be comfortable here. I ignore the ad hominem attacks and try to argue on the basis of ideas and factual accounts. It's nice to see a warmer side of a few of the regular aggressors in their welcoming posts to you.

Welcome.

Mariner

i have never seen anyone conceed a point on anything here :poke:

jAZ said:
I'm new... I've not seen another liberal so far. I'm just curious if there are others.

Post here if you are a Dem or a liberal.

Attack away if you are not. :funnyface
Not so much a liberal/democrat as I am a political moderate. I have my own political party :D

But I noticed that too...a little unnerving, but what can ya do? I deal with it on the peta-sucks forums.

Mariner said:

Welcome.

Mariner

Damn liberal whackjob...

:D

j/k. Actually, I'm glad there have been some more liberals on here lately. It makes the discussion a bit more lively.

I myself am a fiscal consevative, social libertarian.

manu1959 said:
i have never seen anyone conceed a point on anything here :poke:

I have, many a time. Conceded quite a few on nationalism threads, plural because of others.

Come to think of it, I would describe myself as a die hard constitutionalist. I belive strongly in the original interperetation and intent of the Constitution, which had no place for a big federal government, income taxes, or an out of control Supreme Court. I think that nearly everything is better off privatized. I think a lot of ills would be solved by restoring power to the states. I even agree that only landowners, or the modern equivalent thereof, should be allowed to vote. Allowing those with nothing to vote themselves gifts from the treasury only hurts everybody in the long run. At the very least, those on welfare (not disability) for more than a set period of time should be denied the vote. They are leeches on society that will only vote for laws that increase the flow of the handouts.

gop_jeff said:
Damn liberal whackjob...

:D

j/k. Actually, I'm glad there have been some more liberals on here lately. It makes the discussion a bit more lively.

I myself am a fiscal consevative, social libertarian.

With that avatar, I have no problem believing your a social libertarian. :)

jAZ said:
One interesting result that I wouldn't expect possible.

Hobit voted that he/she is a moral conservative and a Libertarian all the way. Aren't those generally opposing views?

I am libertarian (not of the political party variety,) and am both liberal AND conservative in the moral/religious area. What's the contradiction there? Each person has to reconcile his own life with himself and his god. It's not for me to guide you unless asked to do so, and even then the excercise is fraught with pitfall and folly.

When God set Adam and Eve loose in the garden and warned them not to partake of a particular fruit, He neglected, in His great wisdom to erect a tall fence to keep them away from it. In that grand (in)action He gave us our most precious gift of all: The Freedom To Fail. For in this dual nature universe, the freedom to fail IS the freedom to succeed.

I haven`t posted much on this board, but do come here often to charge my batteries.

I only belong to a couple of boards, most of which are conservative in nature, go figure. :usa:

One of the boards I`m a member of, is mostly populated with liberals, but after a couple of years of back, and forth with them, we enjoy each others view on a subject. Sometimes they even ask for my take if I don`t post on a subject.

The more the merrier, who knows, might learn something. :)

Forum List

Back