So A Troublemaker Is A Better Choice Than Someone Who Fixes Companys?

ironic timing alert

yesterday I got an email from a former co-worker.

Our company was taken over by another. We all freaked a bit, naturally, but then we found out how faster raises would come. [not fast enough for me at the time]
But they were able to retain and hire more people at better pay. Last week the CEO lost his job for not focusing on what the Board of Directors wanted.

It's a Two way street.

I'm sorry that the company you worked for folded. But, the simple fact is that for every man like you who worked for a company that folded, there is someone else who - because of Venture Capital and Private Equity companies - has a job, in a company that is more secure than it was previously.

VC and PE companies take risks when they invest in a struggling firm. There are usually very hard business decisions to make - often they have to let some people go in order to secure the future of those who remain. But it is better to lose some jobs, and fix the company than it is to close the company and get rid of everyone.

Don't be afraid, it's only business.
the Alien Prophet sighed
the vulture and the magpie took the cashbox from its hook
the monkey in the corner, wrote the figures in his book.
Crazed the checkout lady's fingers Flash across the till
The captain postsThe menu for the day
And in banks
across the world Christians Moslems Hindus Jews
And people of every Race creed colour tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog
Neatly make up bags of change
But the monkey in the cornerWell he's slowly drifting out of range

Roger Waters "What God Wants, Part 3"

ironic timing alert

yesterday I got an email from a former co-worker.

Our company was taken over by another. We all freaked a bit, naturally, but then we found out how faster raises would come. [not fast enough for me at the time]
But they were able to retain and hire more people at better pay. Last week the CEO lost his job for not focusing on what the Board of Directors wanted.

It's a Two way street.

And usually working guys are the ones who get run over.

I worked in a company that was "fixed" by corporation raiders.

First they skimmed off our pension plan as having an "excess" amount. Then they reduced our pay by 20%, even though my unit was 100% commission. After that, they started squeesing the factory where our product was produced which resulted in over 40% of our customers quit us. After gutting the company for everything they could take (did I mention prior to their takeover, we had the highest profit margin of any similar company in thr United States?), the company was aquired by another investment firm and ithin a year it folded.

I have a special place in my heart, after watching people in their fifties and sixties who had worked over thirty years at the company be tossed into the streets, for people like Romney.

But the important thing was that someone like Romney was able to buy another mansion. You got to have your priorities straight, man!

He not only "fixed" the companies. But he "fixed" the people that used to work there, but good.

First they skimmed off our pension plan as having an "excess" amount. Then they reduced our pay by 20%, even though my unit was 100% commission. After that, they started squeesing the factory where our product was produced which resulted in over 40% of our customers quit us. After gutting the company for everything they could take (did I mention prior to their takeover, we had the highest profit margin of any similar company in thr United States?), the company was aquired by another investment firm and ithin a year it folded.

I have a special place in my heart, after watching people in their fifties and sixties who had worked over thirty years at the company be tossed into the streets, for people like Romney.

does you heart have a special place for all the people obummer screwed over? ya know the retirement plans for the GM workers were looted, the dealerships stolen and closed and and the stockholders lost almost everything, so did the bondholders.. what does your freaking heart tell you about these people?

The business of government is NOT business.

Telling me that a successful businessman is an ideal leader of a government is like telling me that a succcessful fish would make an excellent Buffalo.

Don't give in to stereotypes.

You can't assume that every firm that does this is the same? That's an intellectually lazy argument. Not every lawyer is a ambulance chaser nor is every venture capitalist is a heartless bastard.

Btw, there is usually a lot of resentment over a shakeup. It's part of life.

The point is you can't change the direction of a company without changing the direction of a company.

Some venture capitalists are simply in it for the money. Some are in it to fix things. Romney spent a lot of time fixing things. I see nothing that says otherwise.

Guy, "It's only business" has the same moral standing of "I was only following orders".

How about we go back to that old rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Must have been a really smart guy who came up with that one.

Do some research on AmPad, Damon Medical, DDI, GS STeel or any of the other companies Bain raided. It ain't a pretty picture.
Guy, you don't know jack shit.

Telling me that a successful businessman is an ideal leader of a government is like telling me that a succcessful fish would make an excellent Buffalo.

It's better than the Lawyer that we have now, that doesn't even know economics 101.

Did you expect a job there until you retired?

if so, you must have worked for the government.

Allow me sir!!!!

:bsflag:
IF you think that was BS, then you've NEVER worked for a corporation being taken over...

I have TWICE, and he was absolutely correct in what he says happens....so, I know it was just easier for you to say this newbie is lying....then to accept the truth...because it does happen, just as he says...the only thing he left out was that usually there is some severance pay involved that will get the long time employees by..... that were laid off, for a few months!!!! and he forgot to mention that those kept after the initial downsizing layoffs, end up doing all of their own workload and the workload of all of their fellow employees that were laid off.....with no pay increase for the extra productivity.

I's a jungle out there in the private sector.....yes, perhaps survival of the fittest for some......... or survival of "the who you know or are related to, crowd". for others....

And I am not saying these measures are not needed sometimes, but the way it is done is COLD AND CALCULATED, done by outsiders of the initial corp company, who have no idea of what you are really worth in what you have and can produce for the company....but they don't give a rats ass about that...they only have heads and departments to chop....

I've seen it done 2 times, and it is not pretty....nor a cake walk for the employees left to run the show....

So would an unsuccessful fish be a better choice? Sorry, Ed...but you've lost me with your logic here.

Look, the reason that Romney was successful as the head of the Salt Lake Olympics was the same reason that he was successful as a venture capitalist and a Governor. He understands orgnanizational structures and how to make large ones run efficiently. Despite your claims to the contrary...that's an important job skill to have and one that is sorely lacking in the man who now sits in the Oval Office.

Did you expect a job there until you retired?

if so, you must have worked for the government.

Allow me sir!!!!

:bsflag:
IF you think that was BS, then you've NEVER worked for a corporation being taken over...

I have TWICE, and he was absolutely correct in what he says happens....so, I know it was just easier for you to say this newbie is lying....then to accept the truth...because it does happen, just as he says...the only thing he left out was that usually there is some severance pay involved that will get the long time employees by..... that were laid off, for a few months!!!! and he forgot to mention that those kept after the initial downsizing layoffs, end up doing all of their own workload and the workload of all of their fellow employees that were laid off.....with no pay increase for the extra productivity.

I's a jungle out there in the private sector.....yes, perhaps survival of the fittest for some......... or survival of "the who you know or are related to, crowd". for others....

And I am not saying these measures are not needed sometimes, but the way it is done is COLD AND CALCULATED, done by outsiders of the initial corp company, who have no idea of what you are really worth in what you have and can produce for the company....but they don't give a rats ass about that...they only have heads and departments to chop....

I've seen it done 2 times, and it is not pretty....nor a cake walk for the employees left to run the show....
But I have, no less then three times in two years, same company.

My 401k went wild :eusa_shhh:

does you heart have a special place for all the people obummer screwed over? ya know the retirement plans for the GM workers were looted, the dealerships stolen and closed and and the stockholders lost almost everything, so did the bondholders.. what does your freaking heart tell you about these people?

I could give a flying flip about Obama. But lets's look at GM. If nothing was done, even the workers and all GM's suppliers, would have all been out of a job.

So A Troublemaker Is A Better Choice Than Someone Who Fixes Companys?

If you're referring to Obama and Romney I don't find either one of them a particularly good choice.

Compared to what?
WHen people say that they usually have in mind someone with the ability of Lyndon Johnson, the career of George HW Bush, the vision of Ronald Reagan and the modesty of George Washington.
Such a person doesnt exist.
This is what we have now, assuming Romney doesnt melt down on Super Tues or something.

Anyone would be better than Obama. Obama is the most partisan person ever to occupy the office. Bush could work with someone like Kennedy and come up with legislation. Obama can't work with anyone who doesn't fully support his ideas. He is obviously out of his depth. His economic team has looked like kindergartners playing musical chairs. He cannot administer and he cannot fill positions with anyone but Yes men.
Romney has some experience working across the aisle. He has business experience so he knows what a paycheck looks like and what it takes to produce one. Am I gung-ho Romney? Hell, no. He isn't a Republican outside of Mass. But he is what he is, and that is world's better than the undocumented worker currently in the White House.

I could give a flying flip about Obama. But lets's look at GM. If nothing was done, even the workers and all GM's suppliers, would have all been out of a job.

You dont know that.

As the proper bankrupt procedure was not followed.

So now we have lots full of half priced new cars.

Because there are no other car companies in the US, right?
The GM bail out was among the worst policies of both Bush and Obama. It propped up an inefficient bloated enterprise that simply cannot compete. Look at their electric car. Total disaster, and this is after billions in government aid.

Forum List

Back