Snowblowers

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
So we spent today digging out from another foot or so of snow (I shoveled the 4" we got yesterday myself) and quite frankly, while the whole shoveling thing is great exercise and all when the snow is this deep and this heavy and this wet well . . . it's just getting old.

Thinking about getting a snow blower but really not looking for spending the big bucks. This one is getting pretty good reviews. Nice that it's not gas (the smell, the noise, the maintenance, the weight) and from the reviews it looks like it would tackle what we get.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Toro-38381-18-Inch-Electric-Thrower/dp/B003FIQKYO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: Toro 38381 18-Inch 15 Amp Electric 1800 Power Curve Snow Thrower: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Anyone have any snow blower info they'd like to share?

Just remember - 100% of all snowblower accidents happen while using a snowblower.

z-2187.jpg

You do have a broom handle, don't you? :D

$100.00 :lol:

BABDTB5586.jpg

Really sorry you have to shovel snow, because you have to. Must be like chopping wood to stay warm. In any event (Luckily), here in CA. I don't have to do either.

When snow melts, where does the white part go?

Some constructive ideas. A small welding machine or battery charger can be a source for heating wire, as long as you use enough wire, and then again, not to much wire. It is the resistance in the wire. Use like a number nine wire around 3/16, and don't let it touch itself as it goes from the positive + and back again to the negative - . Basically that is how an electric blanket or the devices below work.

When I was in construction we used 1" plate steel to make a work table. The underside was laced with #9 wire and hooked up to a welding machine allday in cold. We had a simple plastic roof built over scaffold frames, and the table kept everything hot in there from say a 20 degree temp on the other side of the plastic cover.

My thought here is, not only don't you want to shovel snow, you don't want to be outside freezing while running a snow blower, but inside keeping warm. This might cost more or less depending on how you go about the project and how big the project is overall. Old electric blankets would be cheap. Army surplus, 2nd hand store.

Sale Price: $149.00 - $299.00

rug-heat_H.jpg

iceawa8.jpg

Ice Away Ice & Snow melting mats

mat.jpg

EasyHeat Sno-Melter Mats

Orbit Mfg. Electric Radiant Snow and Ice Melting Cable

NOTE:Check used stores for old electric blankets

Look around for a local chemical supplier where you can buy bags of either magnesium chloride, calcium chloride or both. Most commercial ice melters are made from some combination of these two chemicals or may just contain one or the other along with a little sodium chloride. Calcium chloride is the most effective ice melter, lowering the freezing point of water to around -20 degrees F, but it is also expensive.

Homemade Ice Melter | eHow.com

So we spent today digging out from another foot or so of snow (I shoveled the 4" we got yesterday myself) and quite frankly, while the whole shoveling thing is great exercise and all when the snow is this deep and this heavy and this wet well . . . it's just getting old.

Thinking about getting a snow blower but really not looking for spending the big bucks. This one is getting pretty good reviews. Nice that it's not gas (the smell, the noise, the maintenance, the weight) and from the reviews it looks like it would tackle what we get.

Amazon.com: Toro 38381 18-Inch 15 Amp Electric 1800 Power Curve Snow Thrower: Patio, Lawn & Garden

At least you know where to go for help now... ah .. not here...:lol:

But alas.. I haven't seen a snowblower up close and personal, in my life..

I'm now putting away my cape and mask...:(

Amazon.com: Toro 38381 18-Inch 15 Amp Electric 1800 Power Curve Snow Thrower: Patio, Lawn & Garden

You use these lil tractors for a lot of jobs around the property. I used to have one that mowed, and I made myself a backblade for leveling dirt or cutting off weeds. Later on it went out to the airport to pull our 310 out or into of the hanger. Very good tool to invest in.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is always the weekend family outing to the lawnmower races!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff1EGEl3ROs&NR=1[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Some constructive ideas. A small welding machine or battery charger can be a source for heating wire, as long as you use enough wire, and then again, not to much wire. It is the resistance in the wire. Use like a number nine wire around 3/16, and don't let it touch itself as it goes from the positive + and back again to the negative - . Basically that is how an electric blanket or the devices below work.

When I was in construction we used 1" plate steel to make a work table. The underside was laced with #9 wire and hooked up to a welding machine allday in cold. We had a simple plastic roof built over scaffold frames, and the table kept everything hot in there from say a 20 degree temp on the other side of the plastic cover.

My thought here is, not only don't you want to shovel snow, you don't want to be outside freezing while running a snow blower, but inside keeping warm. This might cost more or less depending on how you go about the project and how big the project is overall. Old electric blankets would be cheap. Army surplus, 2nd hand store.

Sale Price: $149.00 - $299.00

rug-heat_H.jpg

iceawa8.jpg

Ice Away Ice & Snow melting mats

mat.jpg

EasyHeat Sno-Melter Mats

Orbit Mfg. Electric Radiant Snow and Ice Melting Cable

NOTE:Check used stores for old electric blankets

Look around for a local chemical supplier where you can buy bags of either magnesium chloride, calcium chloride or both. Most commercial ice melters are made from some combination of these two chemicals or may just contain one or the other along with a little sodium chloride. Calcium chloride is the most effective ice melter, lowering the freezing point of water to around -20 degrees F, but it is also expensive.

Homemade Ice Melter | eHow.com

Uh, no offense but other than placing something like this outside the back door it's totally useless for my needs. Srsly, think about it. "We spent the day digging out" translates to "driveway, sidewalks, etc." How will 'melting mats' accomplish . . . well, much of anything? They won't. Thanks anyway.

Yes, I can see that now. lol

As long as the snow isn't too deep this will work nicely for you. You may have to do it a couple of times during the day with a snow storm....but it sure does beat shoveling.
My first year in Idaho was a record breaking snowfall year...we had 148" in a month and a half. I was shoveling snow 3-4 times a day and had burms 6 ft. along the driveway. We couldn't buy a snowblower in a 100 mile radius because they were all sold out. The closest place was Missoula Mt. and couldn't get over Lookout Pass because of the snow. Well, I bought a Troy Bilt for $449 in Aug. the next year. Been real happy with it. What took me 2 hours before takes only 15 min. now. I help with the neighbors drive and sidewalks it's so easy. Best investment I think I ever made. :lol:

One thing on the electric snowblowers.

You will run over your cord.

Yeah I thought of that. It'll have to be done carefully if we go with electric. The gas ones are pretty pricey though. Hmmm . . . .

If we do buy a snowblower I'm sure Mr. Murphy will see to it that there won't be anymore snow this winter. lol

As long as the snow isn't too deep this will work nicely for you. You may have to do it a couple of times during the day with a snow storm....but it sure does beat shoveling.
My first year in Idaho was a record breaking snowfall year...we had 148" in a month and a half. I was shoveling snow 3-4 times a day and had burms 6 ft. along the driveway. We couldn't buy a snowblower in a 100 mile radius because they were all sold out. The closest place was Missoula Mt. and couldn't get over Lookout Pass because of the snow. Well, I bought a Troy Bilt for $449 in Aug. the next year. Been real happy with it. What took me 2 hours before takes only 15 min. now. I help with the neighbors drive and sidewalks it's so easy. Best investment I think I ever made. :lol:

Ah, thank you! I was looking for feedback from folks who went from shoveling to snow blowing and their take on it. We tend to go out and shovel a few times during a big storm anyway because it's just easier and I'm sure we'd do the same w/a blower. Thanks for the info. :)

148" . . . in a six-week span? :eek: Now that's snow.

Where you live at?

Because that would not cut it where I live.

I've got one of these madrejoders:

04084.jpg

Where you live at?

Because that would not cut it where I live.

I've got one of these:

04084.jpg

Suburbs of Philly. Where you at?

Your machine . . . it has a jumbo.

Forum List

Back