Snow

Wimps. The high today was 20 in Minneapolis. That was at 4am.

By lunch, it was down to 14. Suck it up, buttercup. ;)
Damn...it's bad enough living here in southern Missouri where we deal with ice storms more than snow itself. Still, I hate it when it gets exceptionally cold. I miss living down in Louisiana...no snow or ice. Yeah, it got down to about freezing down there, but it never stayed there for long.

As a professional driver, what I hate are OTHER drivers in the snow. I have no problems generally speaking unless it's black ice. But other drivers? wow. If you're unsure, just stay off the damn road and leave it to people who know what they're doing.

It's a half an inch of dry snow people.... let's get a grip okay? Stop tailgating, put down the cell and for the love of GOD remember to break carefully! Use the brains you were born with, you dumbasses!

Well, that's my sentiment.

i brake carefully, does that count?

problem with other drivers....ya you have a jeep....but on ice.....all 4 wheels will slide....
ya you drove in snow....30 years ago.....gee did you really think chains would fit that viper?
i could go on and on...yes it does snow on the roads....

never work customer service lol never....these are things i have been ask...."does it snow on the road?" i told one lady she would need chains "gold or silver"...one told me she would have her mechanic put them on in nashville....6 hours away....and men who wont listen to a woman...."buddy i am pretty sure if that is a front wheel drive you need to put them chains on the front wheels" but they always know better.....ahhh well

o and just watch them....they aint turning them wheels in direction of the skid....not in the mountians....so they do 360s as they scream
*dies laughing* You poor thing! It seems like learning how to drive is a pasttime. They make people take drivers ed before getting a license now, but it doesn't seem to help any at all. *shakes head*

It started snowing here about an hour and a half ago. We have about an inch on the ground. Pretty.
And now that it has snowed in DC, the media can freak out and declare the end of the world...

...again.

You've been to the DC area before! :lol:
We have 2 inches in northern VA and its still snowing, wet snow, perfect for snowballs. All the neighbors' kids are out having a blast.
woot!

I've never been to DC. If I do go, I hope it will be to be sworn in... rather than at. If I go that road.

Yes... be afraid those who know me and are not to thrilled with the concept... muhuahhahahaaaaa!

But I know what happens when the media sees snow in their back yard. It's the end of the world! 4 inches in NYC OMG!!! freakoutchinesefiredrilltime! DC gets it and they start talking about the return of jebus or whatever they worship this week.

You know where most of the army tank drivers come from? The Upper Midwest. They're used to scraping a #10 envelope sized gap in the frost and driving like madmen. Not to mention, it used to be where people knew how to drive in all sorts of disastrous weather.

Snow?????? I took a short vacation over the Thanksgiving holiday and went to Denver and then to SD to visit some friends. On the way home we stopped by Mt. Rushmore to check it out and while there it started to lightly snow. Because Mt. Rushmore was our last stop we decided to go ahead and head back east towards Illinois. As we traveled eastwardly across SD the snow became a little worse - blowing mostly - and was causing a fuss on the highway. Saw several jacknifed big rigs, car towing trailers, and regular old passenger cars in the ditch or medium from the icy roads. Got as far as mid way across Minn. and it was still a mess on the roads so we stopped for the night. Woke up the next morning and it was snowing pretty good with about two inches on the ground. The roads were ok but you had to travel carefully. Got into Wisconsin and it would snow for a while and then quit. Roads were a little better than fair. Got to Madison and it started to come down pretty well all the way until just north of Rockford. Really bad traveling kind of stuff and I nearly stopped for the night but was too close to home to do that. Just north of Rockford it stopped and the roads were in real great shape. Got home rather quickly after that. This morning I woke up to a light dusting that has since melted away. I hate snow but I guess it's that time of the year. I'm already wishing it was spring.

And now that it has snowed in DC, the media can freak out and declare the end of the world...

...again.

We have 2 inches in northern VA and its still snowing, wet snow, perfect for snowballs. All the neighbors' kids are out having a blast.
woot!

I've never been to DC. If I do go, I hope it will be to be sworn in... rather than at. If I go that road.

Yes... be afraid those who know me and are not to thrilled with the concept... muhuahhahahaaaaa!

But I know what happens when the media sees snow in their back yard. It's the end of the world! 4 inches in NYC OMG!!! freakoutchinesefiredrilltime! DC gets it and they start talking about the return of jebus or whatever they worship this week.

You know where most of the army tank drivers come from? The Upper Midwest. They're used to scraping a #10 envelope sized gap in the frost and driving like madmen. Not to mention, it used to be where people knew how to drive in all sorts of disastrous weather.

I learned to drive in Colorado. One of our neighbors was a retired full disability vet and defensive driving instructor for the state police. We attended the same school in 1974 through 76 and I would drive him to school. He taught me how to drive like a "madman" on snow and ice, in a two wheel drive Ford truck none the less. :lol:
The biggest challenge with NYC and the Washington DC area is the number of international transients, many of which have never even seen snow and ice but still try to drive in it.

You can drive just about anywhere on the ice and snow as long as you pay attention to what you're doing and drive carefully, slowly and stop smoothly. No need to be in a big hurry on bad roads unless you like spending lots of time in a snow bank or in the ditch.

woot!

I learned to drive in Colorado. One of our neighbors was a retired full disability vet and defensive driving instructor for the state police. We attended the same school in 1974 through 76 and I would drive him to school. He taught me how to drive like a "madman" on snow and ice, in a two wheel drive Ford truck none the less. :lol:
The biggest challenge with NYC and the Washington DC area is the number of international transients, many of which have never even seen snow and ice but still try to drive in it.
yes, those high mountain state drivers are even madder than the Upper Midwesterners in snow. I do agree. I tell you this much, I prefer to drive my 39' long yellow box o school aged doom in the snow than my own car. Nothing like 13000lbs of downward pressure to keep the tires firmly on the road. We just don't stop quick.

woot!

Fucking foreigners. ;) At least most of them warn us to steer clear with diplomatic plates, though. So, that's thoughtful of them.

want a thrill ??? just take a ride with a Chicago cab diriver on snow. I did. he left the rode and we wound up in a field !!!! he was a foreigner. when we FINALLY got to the hotel i gave him a 20 and he handed me his money box and told me to take out the proper change - never again !!!! :eusa_hand:

Since we have drifted from snowfall to winter driving, maybe I can squeeze this in. We seem to have more Christmas light displays this year.

yea we are having shitty weather here too.....it was around 68 today,was 52 when i got up.....BRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!........

snow_informer_28single_cover29.jpg

I like waving to my neighbors on snowy mornings while on their way to work. spinning those tires. some wave back, some shake their fist and some give me the finger. damned its nice to be retired - yawn

You can drive just about anywhere on the ice and snow as long as you pay attention to what you're doing and drive carefully, slowly and stop smoothly. No need to be in a big hurry on bad roads unless you like spending lots of time in a snow bank or in the ditch.
That is exactly how I drive in the snow and I love passing 4x4 in my small car stuck in snow bank because they were driving like an idiot.
The year I took drivers Ed at school we got quite a bit of storm and had an ice storm that shut down the city, so I while I learned to drive I also learned in the snow. And the only time I have ever gotten stuck is when it snowed a foot while I was at work and I was 20ft from home and my Acura which had a low front end got stuck when I had to leave the ruts to turn on my street.
If you see a bad driver here in the snow, they are always from California.:razz:

Forum List

Back