Snow!!!

Maybe this is the year we get snow, again!
It's one of those things that when I see it the first time every year, it is like magic. Some people hate me when I say stuff like that but snow is unique and can be breathtakingly beautiful.
...especially when you realize that each snowflake is unique...ever since the first snowflake formed millions of years ago.

When I lived in Virginia.....the snow there seem to come down in big snowflakes.....you could catch them on your coat and actually see the design.....then when we lived in New Hampshire, it just seemed like it was like crunched/shaved ice....like an Icee.....Has anybody else noticed that?

Depends on the type of storm. I live at the 7,000 footish elevation in the Sierra Nevada mountains and we can get incredible powder. This storm we just had was wet and very cold so the ice crystals were small and hard. When it is a little warmer we can get huge flakes though. Those are fun!

It's one of those things that when I see it the first time every year, it is like magic. Some people hate me when I say stuff like that but snow is unique and can be breathtakingly beautiful.
...especially when you realize that each snowflake is unique...ever since the first snowflake formed millions of years ago.
That's right every single one.

Then again, how do we really know that? :)
Oh, I dunno...maybe the way we know our own fingerprints are unique. From a distance, they may all look the same, but when you get really close....as with a microscope...they're not egg zachery alike. Then if you've a scientific mind, it is easily deduced by way of understanding how ice crystals form in frigid, moist air, suggesting that after the first two molecules bind, there is zero probability that two identical snowflakes will be formed.

This was interesting....

snow-sculpture-560x395.jpg

Extreme U.S. storm claims 7 lives, more snow on way...

Buffalo area braces for more snow
November 20, 2014 -- 20 to 30 more inches of snow expected Thursday; Elderly man with cardiac condition becomes 7th storm fatality; Cost of this storm may wipe out storm budgets planned for entire winter; Buffalo residents and emergency personnel come together during massive storm
There are 5 1/2 feet of snow outside and on top of Chrissy Hazard's home in the Buffalo suburb of Cheektowaga, New York. A treadmill and table prop up a door felled by the snow's attempted push into the home. But everything's all right for now, she told CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360." "We're good. We're buried in the house but we're doing OK," she said. Hazard is stuck inside the home with her husband, a friend, seven children and some dogs. It may be three or four days before they can get out, she said. There is a small patch of yard that offers the pups a chance to go outside. And there's more wintery precipitation on the way after a respite Wednesday. CNN Severe Weather Expert Chad Myers said that 20 to 30 more inches of snow will fall Thursday during a 10-hour window.

There is so much snow, Buffalo officials aren't even plowing. Instead hundreds of dump trucks venture out to haul snow away from the 10 square miles that have been pummeled by the lake-effect snow. Other areas of New York's second-most populous city only received 1 to 6 inches, officials said. Seven deaths in the region -- including one man whose car was buried under more than a foot of snow -- are blamed on the extreme storm, authorities said. Firefighters came to check on the Hazard family on Tuesday as many emergency workers put in double shifts and got little sleep. Stories about acts of bravery and kindness were emerging even as the snow was piling up and up in the city on Lake Erie.

141119161518-01-lancaster-snow-1119-horizontal-gallery.jpg

A grader moves snow in Lancaster, New York, on Wednesday, November 19. A ferocious storm dumped massive piles of snow on parts of upstate New York, trapping residents in their homes and stranding motorists on roadways, as snowstorms and record-low temperatures hit much of the country this week.

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown and city officials Wednesday recounted stories of rescuers trudging around snow drifts as high as houses to get people to hospitals, of fire stations turned into temporary shelters and police officers delivering special baby formula to a pair of infants. "It is clear that we are one Buffalo," Brown said. Buffalo prides itself as "The City of Good Neighbors." "Buffalo itself, known as a city of neighbors, has come together and shown a real sense of community and neighbor helping neighbor, which is always good to see," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo told reporters.

Snow across the land

About 50% of the United States had snow on the ground Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service. There were also forecasts for heavy snow for counties in Michigan and Vermont. All 50 states registered temperatures below freezing Tuesday morning, even traditionally warm ones. Temperatures at Mauna Kea on Hawaii's Big Island dipped to 31 degrees while Florida's Panhandle was in the upper 20s, with freeze warnings in effect. The cause of this mayhem: Arctic air pouring over the relatively warm waters of the Great Lakes is producing extreme lake-effect snows.

Unheard of amounts of snow

See also:

Polar blast: Record lows at Dulles and BWI join dozens of others in eastern U.S.
November 19,`14 ~ Both Washington Dulles and BWI airport set record lows this morning, as the historic November cold blast focused on the eastern third of the Lower 48.
At Dulles this morning, the mercury plunged to 13 degrees, shattering the old record of 20 degrees set in 1990. (Records at Dulles date back to 1963.) BWI Airport dipped to 19 degrees, besting the previous mark of 20 set in 1936. (Records in Baltimore go back to 1871 but, prior to measurements at BWI in the 1940s, were observed downtown – a warmer location.)

Reagan National Airport, the District’s official observing location, fell short of the daily record of 18, which was set in 1891 (when temperatures were measured at 24th and M St. downtown, beginning in 1871). It dropped to 22 – still the coldest reading at Reagan National so early in the season since November 14, 1986, when the mercury fell to 21 degrees. Additional cold weather records are possible this afternoon. The record low maximum (high) temperatures of 35 at BWI (from 1880) and 38 at Dulles (from 2008), are both in jeopardy.

usa.movieday-still.gif

Map of record and near -record lows Wednesday morning

Even though Reagan National’s afternoon temperatures should exceed the record low maximum of 33 (from 1880), as long as temperatures hold in the 30s, it will be the coldest day so early in the season since November 14, 1996.

On Tuesday, Dulles Airport established record lows for both the maximum and minimum temperature, rising to only 36 degrees (just after midnight), with a low of 19 (just before midnight about 24 hours later). Wednesday’s records in the D.C. and Baltimore areas join more than 180 others in the eastern U.S. Several record lows were set in the New York City area, including both Laguardia and JFK Airports.

Polar blast Record lows at Dulles and BWI join dozens of others in eastern U.S. - The Washington Post
Though I am in another part of the world (where it is sunny and warm now), I saw this on the news, CNN, last night. Looks like a cold front across the nation. You might be in for a cold winter, like last year.

Yep. That's what happens when the planet cools down, as it has been doing for the last decade or so.
I was just watching the Rosetta landing on the comet and they were saying how warm the earth is. I looked up average temps and found: NASA: Earth Just Experienced the Warmest Six-Month Stretch Ever Recorded

Oh, I dunno...maybe the way we know our own fingerprints are unique. From a distance, they may all look the same, but when you get really close....as with a microscope...they're not egg zachery alike. Then if you've a scientific mind, it is easily deduced by way of understanding how ice crystals form in frigid, moist air, suggesting that after the first two molecules bind, there is zero probability that two identical snowflakes will be formed.
Fingerprints are prints, oh scientific mind, snowflakes can't be so easily observed. Unless you've found a way to do that by quickly making an assessment when snowflakes drop on your nose before melting.

Fingerprints are prints, oh scientific mind, snowflakes can't be so easily observed. Unless you've found a way to do that by quickly making an assessment when snowflakes drop on your nose before melting.
Apparently, you're not familiar with cold labs...where things can be kept below their freezing temperatures and observed (even photographed) through a microscope. Then they might PRINT the pictures.

...and there are other ways of photographing them:
Unbelievable Close-Up Photos Of Snowflakes Reveal A Side Of Winter You ve Never Seen

Snowflake Bentley Biography

Apparently, you're not familiar with cold labs...where things can be kept below their freezing temperatures and observed (even photographed) through a microscope. Then they might PRINT the pictures.

Unbelievable Close-Up Photos Of Snowflakes Reveal A Side Of Winter You ve Never Seen

Sure, they can photograph them, the first link was about photography. The second was more scientific but he only had 5000 images. There are billions of snowflakes and I am telling you there is no way to prove no two are alike.

Finger prints are a different story. They stay the same and don't morph into something else as they melt.

I'm sure you're right tho. You seem to know all about everything.

Sure, they can photograph them, the first link was about photography. The second was more scientific but he only had 5000 images. There are billions of snowflakes and I am telling you there is no way to prove no two are alike.

Finger prints are a different story. They stay the same and don't morph into something else as they melt.

Most of what I present here is common knowledge.

Oh, no question. It's obvious. We all commonly mistake science for photography.

Oh, no question. It's obvious. We all commonly mistake science for photography.
Science is nothing more than the collection and study of data...in any form convenient. Observations made through a camera lens and recorded in any form constitute nothing but data.

All I know, is that I saw the snowflakes in Virginia....in New Hampshire, if there were snowflakes they would have had to be microscopic and all clumped together, because they didn't look like the snowflakes we see in pictures and the ones that I saw in Virginia.

All I know, is that I saw the snowflakes in Virginia....in New Hampshire, if there were snowflakes they would have had to be microscopic and all clumped together, because they didn't look like the snowflakes we see in pictures and the ones that I saw in Virginia.
:lol: Numbers 39 and 41 answered that.

Indeed.....I don't know how I missed them. Thanks!

Indeed.....I don't know how I missed them. Thanks!
Sure!

Forum List

Back