Snow on stoplights' LED bulbs sparks safety worries

Intense

Aug 2, 2009
Iowa motorists need to be extra careful during winter storms because of the possibility that energy-efficient traffic lights could be obscured by snow, traffic engineers say.

Iowa cities have discovered a windfall in savings on electric bills by installing new traffic signals that use light-emitting diodes, better known as LEDs, state and city officials said. But a drawback is the environmentally friendly bulbs don't melt snow on traffic lights like old-fashioned incandescent bulbs.

"It's absolutely an issue" because of the possibility that red lights on LED traffic signals can't be seen by motorists, said Tom Welch, traffic engineer for the Iowa Department of Transportation in Ames. He urges Iowans driving in adverse winter weather to approach each intersection as though it has a conventional stop sign in place.

"We can't design for every potential weather scenario out there. So there has to be some shared responsibility" by motorists, Welch added.

Safety concerns have been raised nationally about LED traffic lights. A woman was killed in Oswego, Ill., in April when her vehicle was struck by a pickup truck driver who didn't realize a red stoplight was covered by snow.

Lisa Richter, 34, died and four other people were injured in the crash as she was making a left-hand turn in an intersection that used LED traffic signals, authorities said.

Snow on stoplights' LED bulbs sparks safety worries | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

So much for good intentions. There is no short cut in R&D. One of the true concepts Federalism has abandoned is trying new approaches, starting small, refining before mass distribution. Centralized Thinking fails in many ways in what it fails to recognize. Reality just slapped us in the face again.

LMAO, that innovation thing.

Millions spent on a less safe technology.
Good salesmanship on the manufacturers part.

Saw this on Fox News this morning. I can see where it would be a problem but also snow on signs and other stuff is a problem too. I think it's just one of those winter things we need to just deal with.

Saw this on Fox News this morning. I can see where it would be a problem but also snow on signs and other stuff is a problem too. I think it's just one of those winter things we need to just deal with.

The old lights work fine. In NYC, there is no room for compromise. Here it is life and death.

The old lights weren't designed to melt snow, that just happens to be a by product of them burning hotter than LEDs. Here in Chicago, I see 2 man trucks driving around twon brushing off the LED lights. I'd be curious to know how much that costs verus use of the older, hotter, higher costing incandescent lights?

-TSO

The old lights weren't designed to melt snow, that just happens to be a by product of them burning hotter than LEDs. Here in Chicago, I see 2 man trucks driving around twon brushing off the LED lights. I'd be curious to know how much that costs verus use of the older, hotter, higher costing incandescent lights?

-TSO

That is also a plus, not a minus. LED's however Kill People in cold climates. Incandescents do not. Union Workers dusting off Traffic Lights in Chicago. LOL. Most of know when we are being jerked off and toyed with. You make it sound real good though. Those horrible incandescents that are destroying all life on earth? Those ones that have been around pretty much since man has harnessed electricity have been killing the planet. OMG The LED's work perfectly, it is us having false expectations that is at fault. I get it now.

Wrong! Bad idea, the least an honest person could do is admit it.

Forum List

Back