"Snor'eastercane" heading to the NE

Oldguy

Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Hurricane Sandy is about to become something almost totally unique: a tropical storm which produces high tides, heavy rains AND heavy snows inland from the NE and in Appalachia. Widespread flooding and power outages are predicted anywhere from Virginia to Maine. The National Weather Service is using the kind of language they use when it really is a big deal and something to be concerned about.

Here's my question: Since it's predicted to come ashore on Tuesday or Wednesday, a week before the election, will it have any affect on turnout? If so, which candidate will it hurt the most?

To my mind, that depends upon exactly where it comes ashore. The worst effects will be felt in states which are right now solidly in the Obama camp, but a hit in Virginia could affect voter turnout in the toss up states of Virginia and Pennsylvania, potentially affecting the outcome of the election.

What do y'all think? Will 5 or 6 days be enough time to "normalize" things before voting time?

Hurricane Sandy is about to become something almost totally unique: a tropical storm which produces high tides, heavy rains AND heavy snows inland from the NE and in Appalachia. Widespread flooding and power outages are predicted anywhere from Virginia to Maine. The National Weather Service is using the kind of language they use when it really is a big deal and something to be concerned about.

Here's my question: Since it's predicted to come ashore on Tuesday or Wednesday, a week before the election, will it have any affect on turnout? If so, which candidate will it hurt the most?

To my mind, that depends upon exactly where it comes ashore. The worst effects will be felt in states which are right now solidly in the Obama camp, but a hit in Virginia could affect voter turnout in the toss up states of Virginia and Pennsylvania, potentially affecting the outcome of the election.

What do y'all think? Will 5 or 6 days be enough time to "normalize" things before voting time?

I have been watching the weather reports on Sandy. Could be "much ado about nothing" here in NE or could be a big one but I lean toward the former.

I think really bad weather affects the those with infirmities and the left, may be the same people, more than the right. Independents ride out the storms and wait for better days. lol

<tongue in cheek post, giggle accordingly> :razz:

I think this could become Obama's perfect storm. The media often panic at news of a storm approaching, but if this one does the damage they anticipate, where they anticipate, and disrupts the election, Obama may be able to FEMA his way to re-election.
He'll be hugging and commiserating and rebuilding people's houses by himself!

Last edited:

I doubt it will have a real effect on the Election, but it does have the Potential to be a pretty serious storm. basically a repeat of the 1991 perfect storm but with an even lower projected air pressure and hitting in a much more populated area.

I have been watching the weather reports on Sandy. Could be "much ado about nothing" here in NE or could be a big one but I lean toward the former.

I think really bad weather affects the those with infirmities and the left, may be the same people, more than the right. Independents ride out the storms and wait for better days. lol

:clap2: Hi Dreamy, I'm with you on the weather hysteria. I hope it won't be bad, but I'm buying candles nevertheless, and I'm in Ohio.
I used to be an Independent in Ohio, and didn't worry about Hurricane Rita, then watched my garage float down the creek. :(
Now I am a Republican and am setting up provisions for my future! ;)

:clap2: Hi Dreamy, I'm with you on the weather hysteria. I hope it won't be bad, but I'm buying candles nevertheless, and I'm in Ohio.
I used to be an Independent in Ohio, and didn't worry about Hurricane Rita, then watched my garage float down the creek. :(
Now I am a Republican and am setting up provisions for my future! ;)

Hi Irish Ram. Wow on your garage becoming a boat! :eek:

I am not the weather junkie in my family but we have a few. I hope everyone stays safe no matter which way this storm goes and I hope if God is in charge he makes the best weather for the best outcome at the polls for this country. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back