Snakes on a Plane!

teapartysamurai

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2010
Snakes on a plane: Passenger manages to smuggle two parrots, a squirrel and FOUR snakes on eight-hour flight

A passenger was arrested after security officials discovered he had carried snakes, birds and a squirrel in hand luggage on a long-haul flight.
In a thankfully less-dramatic version of the 2006 thriller film Snakes On A Plane, fellow passengers were blissfully unaware of the man's box full of pets.

However, police arrested the suspect at Abu Dhabi International Airport after the Etihad Airways flight from Jakarta, Indonesia, when the animals were found with him.

article-1336389-0C61910F000005DC-289_468x286.jpg
Read more: Passenger smuggles 2 parrots, a squirrel and 4 snakes on Etihad Airlines flight | Mail Online

Now, I can't help laughing. No one was hurt, and the snakes were a non poisonous variety.

Samuel Jackson wasn't required to save the day.

article-1336389-051F15E00000044D-328_468x341.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Granny always takes a hoe with her when she goes out inna garden in case o' snakes...
:cool:
Snakes coming out with the arrival of spring, CDC warns
Wed, Mar 27, 2013 - OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES:The center issued a list of six dangerous types of snakes, precautions to avoid being bitten and what to do when bitten
The public should beware of venomous snakes during tomb-sweeping or other outdoor activities, because spring has arrived and snakes are coming out of hibernation, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said yesterday. There are 16 species of poisonous snakes in the nation, six of which are capable of severely wounding or even killing humans, said Jean-Jay Mao, an assistant professor in the Department of Forestry and Natural Resources at National Ilan University. “The six dangerous snakes are the Taiwanese krait, the Taiwan cobra, the Siamese Russell’s viper, the Taiwan habus, or pointed-scale pit viper, the Taiwan bamboo viper, and the hundred pacer, or Chinese moccasin,” Mao said. “The venom of the first two contains hemorrhagic toxins, the venom of the last three contains neurotoxins and the Russell’s vipers’ venom contains both types of toxins,” he added.

People who plan to go to mountainous areas should wear long-sleeved shirts, pants and boots for protection against snake bites, he said. “Carrying a stick to probe an area before stepping into it is necessary and effective. People should also avoid putting their hands or feet into crevasses, holes or bushes without caution, and should carry a torch if they venture into places with little light,” Mao said. Liu Yu-lun, a disease prevention physician working at the CDC, offered instructions on the steps to follow if bitten by a snake. “The first thing is to stay calm and try to remember the distinguishing marks of the snake, such as its shape, color and other features,” Liu said. “Apply an elastic bandage or the like 5cm to 10cm from the bite. Keep the affected limb lower than the heart. Take off all metallic products from the bitten extremity. Do not try to suck the venom out of the snakebite, and take the victim to hospital immediately,” he added.

According to CDC statistics, about 1,000 people in Taiwan fall victim to snakebites every year, mostly by the Taiwan bamboo viper, the Taiwan habus and the Taiwan cobra. The center said that the mortality rate from snakebites is very low in Taiwan, and with a large amount of antivenom in storage, the rate is expected to be less than 1 percent.

Snakes coming out with the arrival of spring, CDC warns - Taipei Times

Granny always takes a hoe with her when she goes out inna garden in case o' snakes...
Wed, Mar 27, 2013 - OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES:The center issued a list of six dangerous types of snakes, precautions to avoid being bitten and what to do when bitten
The public should beware of venomous snakes during tomb-sweeping or other outdoor activities, because spring has arrived and snakes are coming out of hibernation, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said yesterday. There are 16 species of poisonous snakes in the nation, six of which are capable of severely wounding or even killing humans, said Jean-Jay Mao, an assistant professor in the Department of Forestry and Natural Resources at National Ilan University. “The six dangerous snakes are the Taiwanese krait, the Taiwan cobra, the Siamese Russell’s viper, the Taiwan habus, or pointed-scale pit viper, the Taiwan bamboo viper, and the hundred pacer, or Chinese moccasin,” Mao said. “The venom of the first two contains hemorrhagic toxins, the venom of the last three contains neurotoxins and the Russell’s vipers’ venom contains both types of toxins,” he added.

People who plan to go to mountainous areas should wear long-sleeved shirts, pants and boots for protection against snake bites, he said. “Carrying a stick to probe an area before stepping into it is necessary and effective. People should also avoid putting their hands or feet into crevasses, holes or bushes without caution, and should carry a torch if they venture into places with little light,” Mao said. Liu Yu-lun, a disease prevention physician working at the CDC, offered instructions on the steps to follow if bitten by a snake. “The first thing is to stay calm and try to remember the distinguishing marks of the snake, such as its shape, color and other features,” Liu said. “Apply an elastic bandage or the like 5cm to 10cm from the bite. Keep the affected limb lower than the heart. Take off all metallic products from the bitten extremity. Do not try to suck the venom out of the snakebite, and take the victim to hospital immediately,” he added.

According to CDC statistics, about 1,000 people in Taiwan fall victim to snakebites every year, mostly by the Taiwan bamboo viper, the Taiwan habus and the Taiwan cobra. The center said that the mortality rate from snakebites is very low in Taiwan, and with a large amount of antivenom in storage, the rate is expected to be less than 1 percent.

So how many of those type snakes do you expect to encounter in Kentucky?

Are you trying to frighten me?

You ever smelled a cotton-mouth water moccasin about to drop out of a tree into your boat?

asaritis wrote: So how many of those type snakes do you expect to encounter in Kentucky?

Don't expect to encounter any...

... usually try to stay out of areas they inhabit.
:tongue:

So how many of those type snakes do you expect to encounter in Kentucky?

Are you trying to frighten me?

You ever smelled a cotton-mouth water moccasin about to drop out of a tree into your boat?

Actually, I have. It was when I was stationed in Millington TN (NAS Millington just north of Memphis TN) from '86 until '90. There was a place called Navy Lake just north of the base housing units that you could rent canoes and such from. However................they told you to stay away from the trees at the south end of the lake because of that very problem.

Never seen such a sight as when I saw a whole bunch of snakes drop out of the trees into the water when you threw a rock under the trees. Kinda scary, but pretty cool as well.

I am a girlie girl....but I am not afraid of snakes.
I have seen plenty of cotton mouth snakes around my parts....if you don't bother them, they won't bother you.
My son has a ball python as a pet in a large 100 gallon glass tank.
They don't give me the heebie jeebies......just like spiders and mice don't.
Not saying I wouldn't jump if someone tossed a snake onto my lap.....but I'm not a screaming little girl if I see one in the yard....just sayin'.

New nasal anti-venom bein' tested...
:eusa_eh:
Nasal Spray Tested for Treating Snakebites
July 30, 2013 > Venomous snakes kill as many as 125,000 people each year.
Snakebite is a leading cause of accidental death in the developing world, especially among otherwise healthy young people. Most die before they can reach a hospital, largely because there is no easy way to treat a snakebite in the field. Even if the snake is identified and an antivenom exists, the medicine is expensive, and requires refrigeration and significant expertise to administer.

EA926994-262B-4AF4-A523-584DDE339BC4_w640_r1_s.jpg

A Naja Ashei, a newly discovered giant spitting cobra measuring nearly nine feet and carrying enough venom to kill at least 15 people

Dr. Matt Lewin, Director of the Center for Exploration and Travel Health at the California Academy of Sciences, led an effort to find an easier way to treat snakebites where they occur. His team focused on common drugs that can reverse the deadly paralysis caused by a snake's neurotoxins. Those drugs are typically given intravenously, an approach that is difficult outside of a hospital. So Lewin put them into a nasal spray.

In an experiment in California and an actual treatment in India earlier this year, the nasal spray reversed paralysis within a half hour. Lewin is now conducting studies to determine the best methods and drug combinations to address this neglected tropical menace.

Nasal Spray Tested for Treating Snakebites

New Topics

Forum List

Back