Snake and other Raider greats ignored.

LA RAM FAN

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2008
I was not aware of this until just this week that just recently this past season Kenny Stabler of the Oakland Raiders-aka THE SNAKE,was ignored all these decades by the NFL from being inducted into the Hall of Fame as well as the greatest punter of all time Ray Guy and Tom Flores is also not in the hall of fame. Flores was interviewed recently and he put it so very well saying- "what does it take to get into the NFL hall of fame? I see guys that have gone in ahead of me and I scratch me head over their selection,I sure dont expect to go into it anytime in my lifetime thats for sure.."

He then also made the excellent point saying -"they are already talking about Eli Manning getting into the hall of fame soon after his playing days,what is the the difference between him and Jim Plunkett? I just dont see it, yet Plunkett never gets mentioned on being in the hall of fame." Look at Joe Namath,there was no difference between him and Stabler but he was voted in immediately. Had Stabler played in New York,he would have been voted in several years ago.He would never have been kept out of it this long."

well said Tom.You nailed it.:beer::clap2::thup:

I am not a Raiders fan but anybody who watched THE SNAKE or Ray Guy play,knows exactly what I am talking about when I say the NFL hall of fame is the hall of SHAME leaving these guys out it as long as they have.one more reason to say :fu:to the NFL.

what is the purpose of even having it if you are going to ignore theese greats like you have all these years?

I was also not aware that Tom Flores was not in.:rolleyes: To Borrow Flores line,had he been a coach that won superbowls in New York for the Giants,he would have been inducted in DECADES ago.:rolleyes:

I was not aware of this until just this week that just recently this past season Kenny Stabler of the Oakland Raiders-aka THE SNAKE,was ignored all these decades by the NFL from being inducted into the Hall of Fame as well as the greatest punter of all time Ray Guy and Tom Flores is also not in the hall of fame. Flores was interviewed recently and he put it so very well saying- "what does it take to get into the NFL hall of fame? I see guys that have gone in ahead of me and I scratch me head over their selection,I sure dont expect to go into it anytime in my lifetime thats for sure.."

He then also made the excellent point saying -"they are already talking about Eli Manning getting into the hall of fame soon after his playing days,what is the the difference between him and Jim Plunkett? I just dont see it, yet Plunkett never gets mentioned on being in the hall of fame." Look at Joe Namath,there was no difference between him and Stabler but he was voted in immediately. Had Stabler played in New York,he would have been voted in several years ago.He would never have been kept out of it this long."

I am not a Raiders fan but anybody who watched THE SNAKE or Ray Guy play,knows exactly what I am talking about when I say the NFL hall of fame is the hall of SHAME leaving these guys out it as long as they have.one more reason to say :fu:to the NFL.

what is the purpose of even having it if you are going to ignore theese greats like you have all these years?

I was also not aware that Tom Flores was not in.:rolleyes: To Borrow Flores line,had he been a coach that won superbowls in New York for the Giants,he would have been inducted in DECADES ago.:rolleyes:
it doesnt seem like its any different than the R&R hall of fame....people who should be in are not and many are in way ahead of their time...

Good point about Broadway Joe and the Snake. I would guess both had similar great careers, but the Snake is not in the Hall. I thought Ray Guy was in the Hall. He was without doubt one of the greatest punters and had a long successful career.

Good point about Broadway Joe and the Snake. I would guess both had similar great careers, but the Snake is not in the Hall. I thought Ray Guy was in the Hall. He was without doubt one of the greatest punters and had a long successful career.

You have not kept up to date on this I see.lol

and yes ray guy is but thats the thing i am talking about,because he played for OAKLAND,same as snake he was ignored for so long where had he played for LA or new york,they would have been inducted in DECADES ago.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think that there are any punters in the HOF. If they ever do, Ray Guy should be on the list. Shame about Stabler. He should have been in long ago when he was still alive and able to enjoy it. I think Plunkett should be in too. Maybe his stats weren't gaudy enough although he has two SB wins.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think that there are any punters in the HOF. If they ever do, Ray Guy should be on the list. Shame about Stabler. He should have been in long ago when he was still alive and able to enjoy it. I think Plunkett should be in too. Maybe his stats weren't gaudy enough although he has two SB wins.
Jan Stenerud and Ray Guy, punters, are both in the HOF.

William Ray Guy (born December 22, 1949) is a retired American football punter for theOakland/Los Angeles Raiders of the National Football League (NFL).[1] Guy was a unanimous All-American selection in 1972 as a senior at the University of Southern Mississippi, and was the first pure punter ever to be drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft, when the Oakland Raiders selected him with the 23rd overall pick in 1973.[2]
A six-time NFL All-Pro, Guy is widely considered to be the greatest punter of all time and has been a seven-time finalist as a modern era candidate for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. On August 21, 2013, he was selected by the Seniors Committee as a finalist for election to thePro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2014.[3] He was inducted to the Hall of Fame on August 2, 2014, becoming only the second pure kicker (after Jan Stenerud) and the first pure punter so honored.[4]

Ray Guy - Wikipedia

Stabler didn't get in until after he died. There was a huge difference between he and Namath btw (and they were good friends). Namath was the Broadway Joe Type...Stabler was not.

The Raiders have been hated by the NFL since Rozelle. Al Davis was despised by Rozelle. In fact the Texan's owners still holds a grudge with the Raiders and Davis suing the NFL. Not surprising the Raiders are snubbed by the HOF. Stabler' career was years ahead of his time.

Jan Stenerud and Ray Guy, punters, are both in the HOF.

William Ray Guy (born December 22, 1949) is a retired American football punter for theOakland/Los Angeles Raiders of the National Football League (NFL).[1] Guy was a unanimous All-American selection in 1972 as a senior at the University of Southern Mississippi, and was the first pure punter ever to be drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft, when the Oakland Raiders selected him with the 23rd overall pick in 1973.[2]
A six-time NFL All-Pro, Guy is widely considered to be the greatest punter of all time and has been a seven-time finalist as a modern era candidate for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. On August 21, 2013, he was selected by the Seniors Committee as a finalist for election to thePro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2014.[3] He was inducted to the Hall of Fame on August 2, 2014, becoming only the second pure kicker (after Jan Stenerud) and the first pure punter so honored.[4]

Ray Guy - Wikipedia

First pure punter? that answers my question i was going to pose if Guy kicked field goals which I was pretty sure he did not as Stenerud did as well as punts.

Forum List

Back