Smugglers with "medieval catapult" nabbed at U.S. border

FifthColumn

Rookie
Jan 11, 2011
Reuters) - In a brazen attempt reminiscent of a medieval siege, Mexican smugglers tried to use a hefty catapult to hurl drugs north over the U.S. Border, authorities said on Wednesday.

The Mexican military seized 45 pounds of marijuana, a sports utility vehicle and a metal-framed catapult just south of the Arizona border near the small town of Naco last Friday, following a tip-off from the U.S. Border Patrol.

Surveillance video taken by National Guard troops deployed to support the Border Patrol caught a group of men apparently attempting to pull down a metal beam and load or test the catapult, which was powered by powerful elastic and mounted on a trailer close to the metal border fence.

"It looks like a medieval catapult that was used back in the day," Tucson sector Border Patrol spokesman David Jimarez told Reuters.

Arizona straddles a furiously trafficked corridor for human and drug smugglers from Mexico.

The U.S. Border Patrol seize hundreds of tons of marijuana and other drugs each year, smuggled over or under the line using a variety of means, including trucks, clandestine tunnels, horseback and even micro-light aircraft -- although the catapult was new, Jimarez said.

"I have not seen anything like that in my time before as a Border Patrol agent ... although we are trained to handle any kind of a threat that comes over that border," he added.

Smugglers with medieval catapult nabbed at U.S. border | Reuters

Pictures of catapult:
Catapult used to get drugs into US - Telegraph
------------------------------------------------------

Americans fear that catapults will now be used at Mexico's "Six Flags on the border" fence to fire Latin American babies into the US.

The US is considering firing back with copies of the 10 Commandments made of stone weighing 50 pounds each.

There were some setbacks during the design phase though.

1501869_o.gif

Reuters) - In a brazen attempt reminiscent of a medieval siege, Mexican smugglers tried to use a hefty catapult to hurl drugs north over the U.S. Border, authorities said on Wednesday.

The Mexican military seized 45 pounds of marijuana, a sports utility vehicle and a metal-framed catapult just south of the Arizona border near the small town of Naco last Friday, following a tip-off from the U.S. Border Patrol.
I remember having that idea, yeeeaaarrrs ago....when they (first) started using radar to track delivery-planes.

Technology has advanced, significantly, since then.....

......from this......

.....to THIS!!!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtKyCrfmInA&feature=related[/ame]

GET 'EM, PA!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
hello. i was unaware anus filler amuses political threads. why do they not use an ACME slingshot? if the government delights at using ill gotten gains to fund discreet projects, why can we not mandate the government have a specific legitimate source of funding for all projects, and shut down illegal drug cartels?

Clearly these smugglers brought a catpult to a trebuchet fight.

Were I in the cocaine cowboy smuggling bid'ness (where serious weight isn't needed) I'd be thinking in terms of radio controlled model airplanes as the muleteam.

My guess is that you can easily construct a large radio controlled model that could move a pound or two of product per trip.

And when you're moving those kinds of high profit margin drugs a pound or two wholesale can reap significant profits on the retail side.

Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't already heard of that, but then too, it might be happening, but none's the wiser, eh?

Admittedly, that would really only work for a homebased small scale smuggling team, but still...the potential profitability seems pretty obvious.

Last edited:
hello. i was unaware anus filler amuses political threads. why do they not use an ACME slingshot? if the government delights at using ill gotten gains to fund discreet projects, why can we not mandate the government have a specific legitimate source of funding for all projects, and shut down illegal drug cartels?
Gee....whatever happened to Allowing The Marketplace To Regulate Itself??!! :eusa_eh:

HERE

We ALREADY tried it "your way".......once, before.
297.png

How 'bout them, there PARALLELS, Reverend?

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Clearly these smugglers brought a catpult to a trebuchet fight.

Were I in the cocaine cowboy smuggling bid'ness (where serious weight isn't needed) I'd be thinking in terms of radio controlled model airplanes as the muleteam.

My guess is that you can easily construct a large radio controlled model that could move a pound or two of product per trip.
.....Or, a whole FLEET o' them.....uhhhhhh......following you.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFbbX5xwN6o&feature=related[/ame]​

We built one in college powered by tightly twisted ropes and shelled another frat house with cabbages, watermelon, and all sorts of stuff. Luckily no one got hurt or killed but there was appreciable physical damage here and there we had to pay for and ended up on the equivalent of double secret probation.

At a sort of preliminary hearing or whatever one of our brothers described it to some university bigwig as a BII...Budweiser Induced Incident, which I found hilarious but the suit of course did not.

We built one in college powered by tightly twisted ropes and shelled another frat house with cabbages, watermelon, and all sorts of stuff. Luckily no one got hurt or killed but there was appreciable physical damage here and there we had to pay for and ended up on the equivalent of double secret probation.

At a sort of preliminary hearing or whatever one of our brothers described it to some university bigwig as a BII...Budweiser Induced Incident, which I found hilarious but the suit of course did not.
Still, and ALL.....you learned Engineering can be FUN!!!!!

That's GOTTA be worth something....something that's sorely-lacking, in the U.S.​

I won't lie, I think the most prominent thing about this article is that the National Guard Obama sent to the border are actually useful!!

Surveillance video taken by National Guard troops deployed to support the Border Patrol caught a group of men apparently attempting to pull down a metal beam and load or test the catapult, which was powered by powerful elastic and mounted on a trailer close to the metal border fence.

I remember having that idea, yeeeaaarrrs ago....when they (first) started using radar to track delivery-planes.

Technology has advanced, significantly, since then.....

......from this......

.....to THIS!!!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtKyCrfmInA&feature=related[/ame]

GET 'EM, PA!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos for a Northern Exposure reference. :lol:

Forum List

Back