Smoothies & Juicies

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
I've been using protein shakes as part of my regime for quite awhile...easy meal replacements when one is busy. But I've been looking for something more nutritious. Sadly, there is no decent juice bar near my office..

So, I decided to get a NutriBullet. I love this thing. Easy to use and clean. I've been experimenting and now have a complete meal shake regime:

Half veggies: spinach and persian cucumber

Half fruit: banana, orange, blueberries

I then add two scoops of protein power, a scoop of essential greens, and a couple of teaspoons of chia oil.

Top of with water and blend for 1 minute.

Delish! I can make this up in the am, and put in a thermos for work. vv easy.

I'm going to try almond milk instead of water to see if that is an improvement.

Even mr boe, who hates organo-veggie cuisines, thinks it's quite delicious. I'm going to work on a customized version for him.

Today I tried the concoction with Natural Almond Milk - even better!

I'm working on a complete balanced meal replacement. The protein powder, essential greens, and oil (and now almond milk) really make this a powerhouse drink...I don't feel hungry again for hours. When I've had just fruit, vegetable or a combo of the two in the past, I feel rather peckish after an hour or two.

The banana really dominates the flavor. I'm going to try leaving it out and adding some strawberries for variety.
'

I have spinach on hand - but like Kale too.

I try to avoid inserting politics into my food preferences - food is for health and enjoyment.

But if we are going to explore the etymology of "smoothie", it arose with the invention of the electric blender. I have no idea of the political leanings of Madame Stegner.

The electric blender gave birth to the smoothie in the United States. The word "smoothie" was first coined by Mabel Stegner on June 23, 1940 in an article titled "Let the blender do it for you!" published in the New York Herald Tribune (p. 14-15). Concerning ingredients she wrote: "For instance, place a few ounces of milk, fruit juice, tomato juice or any desired liquid in the food container [of the blender]. Add a banana, or strawberries, or pitted cherries, or diced vegetables, Place the container on the base, switch on the electricity and in less than a minute out comes a banana milk 'smoothie,' a fruit nectar, or a raw vegetable cocktail.[1]

The earliest known use of the word "smoothee" also appeared in 1940 and also in connection with the newly commercialized electric blender. That year the Waring Corporation, founded by the popular and very talented bandleader Fred Waring, published its first little booklet of recipes titled "Recipes to Make Your Waring-Go-Round," which contained 12 early recipes for "milk smoothees." We later learn that Waring had hired Mabel Stegner, B.S., a Home Economics Consultant from the University of Wisconsin, to develop the recipes.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoothie

Considering that Madame Stegner was hired to develop the "smoothee" recipes, it seems that the origin is more of a commercial one as opposed to a Progressive Agenda Item.

Last edited:
My Wife and I have a NutriBullet too! In fact, I just finished a smoothie of frozen fruit, a banana and a scoop of Youngevity which is a megadose of vitamins. I try to drink one a day.

And you're right, it's easy to clean up!

Jill, you can't inject Politics into EVERYTHING can you? You EVER give it a rest?

Try Almond Milk in our smoothie - it's delish!

I suggest this for juice:

Make a base, with cucumbers and green apples. That will be half of the drink.

Then add your spinach, kale, carrots, and celery.

Then add your bananas, berries, oranges, and other fruit. Squeeze some lemons and limes into it, mix it all up... and enjoy Ashtara's Energy Potion!

Optional: Add Infant Blood

Just kidding :eusa_angel:

You throw it on your steak instead:FIREdevil:

For protein drinks aka Strength Potions, I play it simple and just throw chocalate protein powder into milk. So delicious! Muscletech Premium Whey Protein- Deluxe Chocalate flavor to be specific.

Last edited:
Today I made mine with mango instead of blueberries. It's quite delish.

No infant blood or flax meal on hand...but perhaps I'll try a Bass-o-matic version.

I've decided on a name for my smoothie recipe: Oobleck

Today I made mine with mango instead of blueberries. It's quite delish.

No infant blood or flax meal on hand...but perhaps I'll try a Bass-o-matic version.

:thup: for mangoes!

Have you tried guavas?

Pomegranates are good too but I don't know if they blend well!

I think if you want to stay full you need to add some carbs. Sounds like you have the fat and protein worked out.

I usually add a piece of whole grain toast on the side.

I have a handful of raw nuts in the morning. I don't need a lot of carbs...plus the fruit (i.e. banana) has some carbs as well.

I do believe that Oobleck is now an almost perfect meal replacement for me...and much more delicious than SOYLENT.

Soylent - Free Your Body

Forum List

Back