Smoking pot for ADHD teens?!

Originally posted by clumzgirl
I haven't been on that much lately--only 3 weeks till I get my MA and things have been hectic. (Anybody willing to write a literary criticism on the British modernists for me? :read: )

That sounds over my head!!! I bet there are a few guys on here that could though! Good luck with that and your MA!!! Stick around though-you have great posts! :clap: :clap:

I wouldn't say I have Tourette's, in that I have full control of my speech, but I am ALWAYS coming up with movie lines that go with the conversations I am having.

Originally posted by krisy
It is nuerological-I know that much. My brother's wife does not cuss like I said,but she twitches from time to time,and maybe blows her hair out of her eyes occasionally,some kind of thing that goes with it.

That I can see as an illness...but what of these cases where the person only repeats offensive words? Words used in a context too that would make sense and also make someone want to beat the crap out of you - only your claim is a sickness that makes you swear repeatedly. If so, most of the world has this.

In my humble opinion,this is ridiculous. I believe most kids don't really even suffer from ADD,ADHD,and are misdiagnosed. Some people really have it,I know,I work with a couple adults with it and believe me-they don't need pot! Why would you take a kid that can't pay attention,and give him pot?!!!!! I have a 15 year old younger brother who took Ritlin for years,and my mom finally decided he did not need it anymore and now is seriously wondering if he ever did. The doctor wanted her to leave him on it and she said no thankfully. He is fine and doesn't appear to have any problems.

I don't understand these people that think pot is the answer for everything. Why is pot so healthy,but cigs are soo bad? Doesn't make sense to me. I mean.some pregnant women smoke it-claim their babies are clamer-whatever. My son was a great baby and guess what? No pot. This is so stupid.. Not to mention,giving a teen pot and then wondering if they are going to drive-forget it!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117541,00.html

The first thing that a doctor will tell a patient before prescribing them a drug to treat ADD/ADHD is to stop smoking pot. You're right, if you already have trouble focusing pot definitely will not help.

In my humble opinion,this is ridiculous. I believe most kids don't really even suffer from ADD,ADHD,and are misdiagnosed. Some people really have it,I know,I work with a couple adults with it and believe me-they don't need pot! Why would you take a kid that can't pay attention,and give him pot?!!!!! I have a 15 year old younger brother who took Ritlin for years,and my mom finally decided he did not need it anymore and now is seriously wondering if he ever did. The doctor wanted her to leave him on it and she said no thankfully. He is fine and doesn't appear to have any problems.

I don't understand these people that think pot is the answer for everything. Why is pot so healthy,but cigs are soo bad? Doesn't make sense to me. I mean.some pregnant women smoke it-claim their babies are clamer-whatever. My son was a great baby and guess what? No pot. This is so stupid.. Not to mention,giving a teen pot and then wondering if they are going to drive-forget it!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117541,00.html

I think the whole thing is a combination of unadressed problems:

1. Sugar in the diet which causes hormone fluctuations and shortening of attention span.

2. Hyperactive bodily action generally correlates to faster thinking. Find out what a kid is interested in that will benefit them educationally and let them at it as fast as they can go. If this means football and such, so be it.

3. Nervous system impulses are often fired sporadically due to caffeine damage. Caffeine tends to overload and damage neron firing regulatory processes which creates long term issues. This may be passed down genetically or it can be due to diet. In either case, it can be worked through with therapy.

As one who has been labelled as having ADHD and has been told I would never amount to anything until I was medicated, I have proven that to be quite the opposite with ZERO drugs or professional help.

I agree. The diet kids are on today is frightening. Most kids live off McDonalds (I know, its McDonalds fault not their parents) and donuts and sodas. They are loaded with sugar before school starts...Most parents dont have time to give their kids a bowl of cereal and just give them some donuts and away they go.
For lunch its pizza, desert and soda again.

Boredom? Naw...

Lack of Discipline. I believe that's the single underlying cause of ADHD or whatever. Children aren't taught consequence for actions. Children are taught 'what makes them happy or feels good is the RIGHT thing to do'. When popular society starts putting a little frustration and hardship into kids' lives, ADHD cases will lessen.

Sometimes I tell my daughter 'no' when she asks for something (even if I have no reason why not) simply to allow her the BENEFIT of not always getting what she asks for. It's to her BENEFIT she experiece let downs sometimes. If my daughter can't sit still in class, I will whoop her ass. I'd bet it only takes once for her to behave, and focus. Maybe twice, if Mom spanks her :p

:)

Originally posted by dmp
If my daughter can't sit still in class, I will whoop her ass. I'd bet it only takes once for her to behave, and focus.

Yeah, what are these doctors and psychologists thinking.
There is nothing a good ol' beating can't cure.

I'm not saying I agree totally with the doctors on this one, but parents and a society that condone violence end up with kids who walk into school one day and kill 12 students, a teacher and then themselves....

Originally posted by nycflasher
Yeah, what are these doctors and psychologists thinking.
There is nothing a good ol' beating can't cure.

I'm not saying I agree totally with the doctors on this one, but parents and a society that condone violence end up with kids who walk into school one day and kill 12 students, a teacher and then themselves....

You say that in jest, I take it. Whether or not you believe it, doesn't change it's truth.

If parents simply spanked their kids, we'd not need to medicate so many...popular psychology can be nauseating.

If parents would spend more time PARENTING instead of MEDICATING, we'd have MANY FEWER school shootings.

Originally posted by dmp

If parents would spend more time PARENTING instead of MEDICATING, we'd have MANY FEWER school shootings.
Hallelujah!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Indeed.
Unfortunately, you don't have to pass any sort of test to or get any sort of license to have a kid.:cool:

In fact you can drive a car(in some cases considered a deadly weapon), possess a weapon, have 5 kids and go to war all before you can have a beer :confused:

Originally posted by NewGuy
I think the whole thing is a combination of unadressed problems:

1. Sugar in the diet which causes hormone fluctuations and shortening of attention span.

2. Hyperactive bodily action generally correlates to faster thinking. Find out what a kid is interested in that will benefit them educationally and let them at it as fast as they can go. If this means football and such, so be it.

3. Nervous system impulses are often fired sporadically due to caffeine damage. Caffeine tends to overload and damage neron firing regulatory processes which creates long term issues. This may be passed down genetically or it can be due to diet. In either case, it can be worked through with therapy.

As one who has been labelled as having ADHD and has been told I would never amount to anything until I was medicated, I have proven that to be quite the opposite with ZERO drugs or professional help.

Hormones? Science? sounds satanic to me.

Forum List

Back