Smoking pot for ADHD teens?!

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
In my humble opinion,this is ridiculous. I believe most kids don't really even suffer from ADD,ADHD,and are misdiagnosed. Some people really have it,I know,I work with a couple adults with it and believe me-they don't need pot! Why would you take a kid that can't pay attention,and give him pot?!!!!! I have a 15 year old younger brother who took Ritlin for years,and my mom finally decided he did not need it anymore and now is seriously wondering if he ever did. The doctor wanted her to leave him on it and she said no thankfully. He is fine and doesn't appear to have any problems.

I don't understand these people that think pot is the answer for everything. Why is pot so healthy,but cigs are soo bad? Doesn't make sense to me. I mean.some pregnant women smoke it-claim their babies are clamer-whatever. My son was a great baby and guess what? No pot. This is so stupid.. Not to mention,giving a teen pot and then wondering if they are going to drive-forget it!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117541,00.html

Not to change the subject but does anybody know someone who has terrets syndrome? I know its mean and they have a disorder but they crack me up when they get on a tear.

I have a hangnail. Shouldn't I be allowed to get an Rx for pot too? Or wait, what about my splitends? Oh, I know! My contacts make my eyes dry, but the smoke from the pot will make them water and rehydrate them! CRIPE!

I smoked pot as a teen; It helped me learn to focus on finding the easy way out in life. It also helped me learn to focus on having fun and watching weird movies and thinking about, like, weird concepts and shit.

:D

Partay!

Originally posted by OCA
Not to change the subject but does anybody know someone who has terrets syndrome? I know its mean and they have a disorder but they crack me up when they get on a tear.

My sister in law has Turrets(?). She doesn't have it severe though. She doesn't cuss and not know it. She takes medicine for it though,but it doesn't affect her life too much. I have seen people with it bad though,gosh that would be embarrassing!

Saw a documentary once on it, laughed my hind end off! This guy would be at a check out counter or something as sweet as pie, in the space of 1 second he would just blurt out "your mother is a f*****g whore" or something similar. Funny as hell!

Originally posted by clumzgirl
I have a hangnail. Shouldn't I be allowed to get an Rx for pot too? Or wait, what about my splitends? Oh, I know! My contacts make my eyes dry, but the smoke from the pot will make them water and rehydrate them! CRIPE!

Hey clumzgirl!! Ive been looking around for ya-I guess we haven't been on at the same time.

What you say is no lie! Some people are that bad about it! I just don't get being that obessed with it. I don't want to get pounded by anyone that might smoke it on a regular basis-it's their life,but to give it too kids-NOWWAY! I was never a pot smoker,but I may even be open to someone in a horrible amount of pain that is going to die soon smoking it,I guess. I mean if it really eases the pain. People say it does so much,but to me people just look stupid when they smoke it,or maybe tired. I am allready a skeptic of this ADD stuff,I think it is overdiagnosed but I know this looney toon won't get away wth giving to these kids anyway-I hope! Please don't tear into me all u regular pot smokers-I just know what Ive seen of it when I was a teen.

Originally posted by krisy
Hey clumzgirl!! Ive been looking around for ya-I guess we haven't been on at the same time.

What you say is no lie! Some people are that bad about it! I just don't get being that obessed with it. I don't want to get pounded by anyone that might smoke it on a regular basis-it's their life,but to give it too kids-NOWWAY! I was never a pot smoker,but I may even be open to someone in a horrible amount of pain that is going to die soon smoking it,I guess. I mean if it really eases the pain. People say it does so much,but to me people just look stupid when they smoke it,or maybe tired. I am allready a skeptic of this ADD stuff,I think it is overdiagnosed but I know this looney toon won't get away wth giving to these kids anyway-I hope! Please don't tear into me all u regular pot smokers-I just know what Ive seen of it when I was a teen.

The truth is. It's really not good for anyone.

Originally posted by OCA

I think that is a bogus sickness. Why is it they always use the worst words in the English laungage? Isn't that odd?

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
I think OCA may HAVE turrets. He's just looking for a friend.

Now who's obsessed with who and do you really want to rile me up again? But hey you've got to get your licks in in your last few days at USMB.

Also I was unaware that they had computers for you guys to use late at night down at the Salvation Army mission, thats nice of them to help you guys out.

Sorry Krisy this dirtbag is screwing your thread up, forgive him he knows nothing else.

Originally posted by winston churchi
I think that is a bogus sickness. Why is it they always use the worst words in the English laungage? Isn't that odd?

It is nuerological-I know that much. My brother's wife does not cuss like I said,but she twitches from time to time,and maybe blows her hair out of her eyes occasionally,some kind of thing that goes with it.

Originally posted by OCA
Now who's obsessed with who and do you really want to rile me up again? But hey you've got to get your licks in in your last few days at USMB.

Also I was unaware that they had computers for you guys to use late at night down at the Salvation Army mission, thats nice of them to help you guys out.

Sorry Krisy this dirtbag is screwing your thread up, forgive him he knows nothing else.

Thats O.K. OCA-I'm guessing you two don't get along? Is rwavenger leaving the boards?

Originally posted by krisy
In my humble opinion,this is ridiculous. I believe most kids don't really even suffer from ADD,ADHD,and are misdiagnosed. Some people really have it,I know,I work with a couple adults with it and believe me-they don't need pot! Why would you take a kid that can't pay attention,and give him pot?!!!!! I have a 15 year old younger brother who took Ritlin for years,and my mom finally decided he did not need it anymore and now is seriously wondering if he ever did. The doctor wanted her to leave him on it and she said no thankfully. He is fine and doesn't appear to have any problems.

I don't understand these people that think pot is the answer for everything. Why is pot so healthy,but cigs are soo bad? Doesn't make sense to me. I mean.some pregnant women smoke it-claim their babies are clamer-whatever. My son was a great baby and guess what? No pot. This is so stupid.. Not to mention,giving a teen pot and then wondering if they are going to drive-forget it!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117541,00.html

I think the problem is complete and utter boredom! These kids sit in a classroom and if the teacher merely reads from a book - who wouldn't want to get up and carry on? I think these kids need more involvement like sports or some other afterschool activity. They are surrounded by television and computors....who wouldnt go a little off?

A friend of mine has a son in the first grade and the teacher told her that her son may have one of those add or adt or apt or whatever they call it....switched teachers and guess what? The problem disappeared.

I am also thinking of my own childhood. I am sure had I grown up in todays world I would be on every drug, including pot and crack because I would be considered troubled. I later on had some excellent teachers who made learning fun, I became involved in afterschool activities and I was fine....without drugs!

Originally posted by winston churchi
I think the problem is complete and utter boredom! These kids sit in a classroom and if the teacher merely reads from a book - who wouldn't want to get up and carry on? I think these kids need more involvement like sports or some other afterschool activity. They are surrounded by television and computors....who wouldnt go a little off?

A friend of mine has a son in the first grade and the teacher told her that her son may have one of those add or adt or apt or whatever they call it....switched teachers and guess what? The problem disappeared.

I am also thinking of my own childhood. I am sure had I grown up in todays world I would be on every drug, including pot and crack because I would be considered troubled. I later on had some excellent teachers who made learning fun, I became involved in afterschool activities and I was fine....without drugs!

I totally agree! People that truly have this stuff are clearly distracted. As I said before,I worked with a couple adults that had it and they could not stay on tasl to save their life. I have a very active9 year old that does not sit still for long,but is a great kid. I'm not going to put him on meds just because he gets bored easy-all kids do. Heck,in church alone they would have every kid in there on pot or Ritlin,because we were all so bored sitting there with our parents at one point or another!

Yes, there is a problem with over-medication. Sometimes parents don't want to parent, and teachers don't want to teach. But sometimes, kids and adults have real problems. I hate to make this personal, but my husband has ADD and was diagnosed in late elementary school, I believe. If he was not on medication, he could not function normally. In the mornings before he takes it, it's like living with a 2-year-old in the body of a 26-year-old. It's aweful. And he wouldn't be able to concentrate long enough to hold down a job, let alone get a college degree (which he managed to do.) We're thinking of starting a family soon and it's highly possible that our children could inherit this disorder. Of course, we'll try every other route possible before resorting to medication. But that's just it--it will be a last resort, not a quick fix.

I haven't been on that much lately--only 3 weeks till I get my MA and things have been hectic. (Anybody willing to write a literary criticism on the British modernists for me? :read: )

Good luck with whatever route you guys go clumzgirl. I know that a person can change their diet to keep it under control as well.The bad thing about that is,that it's all crappy food with no additives and such. Doesn't make for a tasty diet:(

Forum List

Back