Smoking cessation

Quit smoking? Hell no!
im kinda heavy, about a pack and a half a day. i enjoy it. dont plan on quiting any time soon.

Jim... I actually used to work with a Psychotherapist who did hypnotic therapy. I actually underwent hypnosis for nail biting (lol) and fear of spiders. Neither worked for me.

Only a certain percentage of people are even candidates for good hypnotherapy.

The hypnotherapist I worked with DID have some success stories (so he said). Personally, I think it's a money making scheme. Something that ISNT common knowledge about hypnotherapy is that you need "boosters". One hypnotherapy session wont be enough. You'll have to go back every so often and to a short session to keep it working.

I'm a smoker who is planning on quitting within the next two months (I'm even going to move into a "non-smoking" house. When you have to go outside in the winter to smoke, you'll want to quit). Hypnotherapy wasnt even a consideration for me. I'm going to try the patch. I may need anger management courses to go along with it, but its worth a shot.

Good Luck! If you try, keep us updated on your progress!

Originally posted by lilcountriegal
I'm even going to move into a "non-smoking" house. When you have to go outside in the winter to smoke, you'll want to quit

Offices here are now generally non-smoking environments. There is not a lot more sad than seeing groups of smokers standing around outside in the rain and snow puffing at their addiction.

At times like that I thank God that I have never been tempted to smoke. My father was a heavy smoker, before quitting, when I was a child and that put me off for life.

Originally posted by lilcountriegal
Jim... I actually used to work with a Psychotherapist who did hypnotic therapy. I actually underwent hypnosis for nail biting (lol) and fear of spiders. Neither worked for me.

Only a certain percentage of people are even candidates for good hypnotherapy.

The hypnotherapist I worked with DID have some success stories (so he said). Personally, I think it's a money making scheme. Something that ISNT common knowledge about hypnotherapy is that you need "boosters". One hypnotherapy session wont be enough. You'll have to go back every so often and to a short session to keep it working.

I'm a smoker who is planning on quitting within the next two months (I'm even going to move into a "non-smoking" house. When you have to go outside in the winter to smoke, you'll want to quit). Hypnotherapy wasnt even a consideration for me. I'm going to try the patch. I may need anger management courses to go along with it, but its worth a shot.

Good Luck! If you try, keep us updated on your progress!
you and jimmy should become like the AA buddies...if one's tempted to slip, they call for intervention.

You and Janeen can be roomies. She will show you all of her lovely pictures. LOL

How many smokers do we have here?

Anyone have any knowledge about hypnotism as a way to quit smoking? I don't have many alternatives left!

I've tried the patch and ended up smoking while wearing it. I tried the gum and it didn't prevent me from wanting a smoke for 5 minutes. I tried cold turkey and wanted to go on a killing rampage after about 5 hours.

I really do want to quit but I just can't.

Anyone??

Hypnotism failed to get people to buy "Spud" cigarettes, so I can't see how hypnotism could get people to stop smoking.

How many smokers do we have here?

Anyone have any knowledge about hypnotism as a way to quit smoking? I don't have many alternatives left!

I've tried the patch and ended up smoking while wearing it. I tried the gum and it didn't prevent me from wanting a smoke for 5 minutes. I tried cold turkey and wanted to go on a killing rampage after about 5 hours.

I really do want to quit but I just can't.

Anyone??
Pshaw. Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it a hundred times.

Staying quit now, that's a bit harder.

Edit: Holy thread from the dead Batman!

I smoked 2 1/2 packs per day for 37 years. I didn't even try to quit, because I thought it was impossible. Then one day, I found myself taking a break at work in Reno, while standing outside my office in a blizzard smoking a cigarette. I asked myself, "What is wrong with this picture?"

I thought about it long and hard, and came to the following conclusions:
1. I am an adult, and only I control my destiny. As such, I was strong enough to give up nicotine.
2. I was not going to "quit smoking". I was going to become a nonsmoker, and be just like the millions of people who go through life without ever wanting a smoke.
3. It only takes 2 to 3 weeks to rid the body of nicotine. After that, being a nonsmoker was just a psychological decision, not a physical craving. Therefor, I made the decision not to smoke.
4. Every hour that I endured without smoking was an hour of torture that I never wanted to repeat, I had invested too much to cave in.

It worked. Cold turkey. That was in 1993, and I never smoked again.

Forum List

Back