~Smoking Banned Outdoors In NYC~

While I disagree with the ban, smokers have only themselves to blame. If they weren't such inconsiderate doucewagons this wouldn't be happening. In general, smokers don't give a shit about which way their smoke blows or who is getting blasted with it, and they treat the world like it's their personal fucking ashtray. Just a little bit of courtesy and proper disposal of butts and none this would be happening. I'm not arguing that this behavior justifies the ban, but it is responsible for creating the situation that gave rise to the ban.

Fact, not opinion. :thup:

I agree. And I'm perfectly happy with throwing some hefty fines on them - and anyone else who litters our public places. But banning smoking is just ridiculous.

No longer just an indoor-ban, smoking in open spaces is now banned in New York City.

The indoor ban was one thing, but is this perhaps a little too far? The ban is designed to help curb exposure to secondhand smoke as well as reduce litter. Thoughts?

Here's a better article~

New York City outdoor smoking ban begins - CNN

Reminds me of the good 'ole days of Prohibition. Anybody know where the nearest speakeasy is?

really? there's been a constitutional amendment prohibiting its sale and use?

who knew?

Wait for it. The Central Planners always do what is necessary for the 'common good'.

Private or state ran campus?

ON UK's campus it is on the entire Campus.

And on a federal level the VA hospital in Lexington has banned smoking on it's property as well. Where does the federal govt have that right per the constitution?

Private school.... Johnson & Wales University.

On the J&W campus all private alcohol possession was banned. Literally having an empty beer can in your parked car on school property could get you expelled. A full can in your parked car or on your person was an automatic expulsion. Have it found in your dorm room and unless someone immediately fessed up to whose it was, EVERYONE living in the room was expelled.

There was no smoking in any campus building, including dorms. There were three "wellness" dorms on campus, where even possession of tobacco (cigarettes, dip, chew, etc...) was banned.

While I disagree with the ban, smokers have only themselves to blame. If they weren't such inconsiderate doucewagons this wouldn't be happening. In general, smokers don't give a shit about which way their smoke blows or who is getting blasted with it, and they treat the world like it's their personal fucking ashtray. Just a little bit of courtesy and proper disposal of butts and none this would be happening. I'm not arguing that this behavior justifies the ban, but it is responsible for creating the situation that gave rise to the ban.

While it is quite obvious some people do use the world as their ashtray, just tossing their butts anywhere they please, I do know some who do not do it that way.
There are some considerate people who will put the cigarette butt out, by pushing it into the ground, and then placing it inside an empty soda can. I have seen some who flush them. And I also have seen some...well one actually..just one, who after she finished smoking, and put the butt out completely, would stick it into a little baggy she carried in her pocket, and then throw it in the trash when she got home.

Smokers are slowly becoming more considerate as their former rude behavior is no longer tolerated. The norm used to be that a cigarette was ground under your shoe when you were done smoking it. I remember restroom urinals full of cigarette butts. I guess they figured someone else could fish out the urine soaked butts.

Smoking is disgusting and smokers throw there butts everywhere.. I bet at home they put them in the trash but why to they just throw them on the ground, they are not biodegradable.

While it is quite obvious some people do use the world as their ashtray, just tossing their butts anywhere they please, I do know some who do not do it that way.
There are some considerate people who will put the cigarette butt out, by pushing it into the ground, and then placing it inside an empty soda can. I have seen some who flush them. And I also have seen some...well one actually..just one, who after she finished smoking, and put the butt out completely, would stick it into a little baggy she carried in her pocket, and then throw it in the trash when she got home.

Yup. And some people can operate a motor vehicle safely and responsibly even when they're a little buzzed. It's always the douchewagons that ruin a good thing isn't it?

Reminds me of the good 'ole days of Prohibition. Anybody know where the nearest speakeasy is?

who knew?

Wait for it. The Central Planners always do what is necessary for the 'common good'.

i hope you'll be just as vociferous in your opposition when they try to take away women's control over their own bodies.

if you aren't, well, then i'm not going to think too much of your concern for smokers rights.

who knew?

i hope you'll be just as vociferous in your opposition when they try to take away women's control over their own bodies.

if you aren't, well, then i'm not going to think too much of your concern for smokers rights.

:lol: Apples and Oranges, sweetie, but there's no way we can ever agree on that so why bother?

Yup. And some people can operate a motor vehicle safely and responsibly even when they're a little buzzed. It's always the douchewagons that ruin a good thing isn't it?

Smoking isn't a good thing, and I'm sure the smokers already know that.
I wouldn't know about operating a motor vehicle while "buzzed", as I don't get myself into "buzzed" situations.

I'm less annoyed with this than I am with laws that forbid restaurants and bars from allowing smoking if that is what they wish to do.

Public property can be run the way the public wishes it to be run.

That said, if this ban expands to streets I will not visit New York by choice.

:lol: Apples and Oranges, sweetie, but there's no way we can ever agree on that so why bother?

actually, no, individual rights count more when we're dealing with issues that matter... not whether you have to wear a seatbelt or can't smoke in a public park.

i'm going to tell your wife on you.

I don't buy the second hand smoke argument at all simply based on personal family experience of living with smokers for 30-40 plus years with no side effects every shown.

I am perplexed however in the age of "death panels" that the Government actually isn't handing out free coffin nails. ;)

actually, no, individual rights count more when we're dealing with issues that matter... not whether you have to wear a seatbelt or can't smoke in a public park.

i'm going to tell your wife on you.

oh_noes.gif

sayitsayuncl128648476139063378.jpg

Uncle!

Oh man, for a moment I went =O!!! But then I realized it was only parks and beaches. No biggie.

That said, this kinda news gives me a certain ambivalent feeling - as a hardcore extreme 30+ a day smoker it pisses me off but at the same time, I really do have to quit, so... I dunno. From a political ideological perspective, I don't agree that the State/city/municipality/whatever has a right to ban you from doing something to yourself, but why should random people be endangered by my nasty habit on public land? It's kind of like drunk driving, is it really an affront to your individual liberty to be able to be wasted while operating a two ton metal killing machine down the street? Or what about the litter aspect of it, is it an affront to my personal liberty that I'm not allowed to grab my trash can and empty it wherever I want? I would say no, but it's debatable. But it is sort of these [relatively] little things that unexpectedly lead to larger and more philosophical musings about what really is or should be the role of the state [if any]... and shit like that.

aodoihsapodaiahsdpaosdihapdsoi

I apologize, I did put the word 'outdoors' in the title line, but then parks and beaches are a part of the outside. And like some said, it's going to go further, it will soon be the entire outside. If places can already stop you from smoking in your car, there is no end.
I'm not even a smoker, and I don't think all this is fair.
If people want to smoke, it's their choice, they will smoke. My Mother smoked for 50 years, I lost her to lung cancer-yep, because she smoked. But after she was told she had cancer even, do you think she stopped?? Hell no.
It's the same with alcohol and soda, you can tell them they can't, but they're going to anyway.
It's getting to the point, I'm almost afraid I'm going to wake up one day, only to be face to face with an ugly man, telling me they are charging me for the air I breathe!

Nah, don't worry about the title, that was just my initial reaction. And you're right that someday may be the entire outside, but then again, in most places you can't drink outside either, or smoke weed, or take other drugs [where the latter 2 are decriminalized even]. And then also this is NYC, which is way ahead of the curve. Where I'm at we're still years away for smoking to be banned even in closed bars, even if that's where we're all heading towards.

Sorry to hear about your mom =( but on the other hand, it could just be generational. It took years for my mother to finally get accustomed to wearing her seatbelt, but for most people my age it's just second nature, get in, pop it on - almost feel naked without it. My sister smokes too, she spent 7 months in France when she got back she barely even remembered that you could smoke in bars here. I was in Canada for college and it was the same thing - I still smoked, and if I wanted one [which I did, several times a night] it really wasn't that much of a sacrifice to walk 10 paces to the door in order to fill my lungs with dangerous toxins - which I already pay an ugly man to do, in the first place.

I think the problem might be that you guys are non-smokers. To be honest, being a smoker in this day and age is terrible. Everybody knows it's terrible, everyone wants to leave the sinking ship [and many are succeeding], every excuse has been shattered, and almost nobody really smokes anymore. That's why, I think, most smokers accept these sort of news - all but the most die-hard of fans know that we are a dying race, our time on earth is through.

This hilarious clip from british TV show 'The IT Crowd' sums it up perfectly:

[youtube]MToRvo5RExg[/youtube]

Forum List

Back