Smoking banned in private homes.

Seems to me that the employees have every right to decide where to work. They personally decide what environments they are willing to deal with. It's called freedom.

So it sounds like you think it's fair and fine for America to just do away with employee protections. People can just quit and go look for work elsewhere if they don't like the conditions they are working under.

I use to be mindful of non smokers ... until the bans. *evil grin* Now I make an effort to smoke around them as much as possible without breaking the laws. It's more fun now because I just no longer care about them.

Like I said, nicotine, affects the cognitive faculties.

Meh, it's a drug, just like caffeine, Tylenol, Advil, weight loss crap, erection garbage, alcohol (which by the way is the worst of the legal ones), sleep aids ...

No one smokes while they grocery shop or when they're at the library or in the waiting room of the hospital or even in the office at work. It's common sense.

It's become common sense because it first was the law. Before the laws people smoked everywhere. Same thing will happen with laws to limit smoking in other public places besides hospitals and grocery stores. People will look back and say, "What were we thinking! Why did we ever think it was okay to smoke around other people?"

Last edited:
Do you think it's okay for people to get drunk in a bar and drive home?

There are thousands of confirmed deaths resulting from alcohol each year, while none for smoking, especially second hand. You don't care about health, you jut want to tell people what they can or can't do. I say, let's care about health a moment ... ban ALL alcohol and save hundreds of lives.

Seems to me that the employees have every right to decide where to work. They personally decide what environments they are willing to deal with. It's called freedom.

So it sounds like you think it's fair and fine for America to just do away with employee protections. People can just quit and go look for work elsewhere if they don't like the conditions they are working under.
That's just silly.

Safety laws are not meant to protect people from things that are inherent risks of the job. If they were, then tackling would be banned from football. But that isn't the case...making players shower in conditions that had raw sewage swirling around their feet isn't an inherent risk of the job and is therefore illegal.

I really don't understand why this is so hard for you to grasp. I can only conclude that your progressive bent means you only wish to outlaw things that offend you and everyone else be damned.

I can only conclude that your progressive bent means you only wish to outlaw things that offend you and everyone else be damned.

I am constantly amused by all the loopy logic some smokers will come up with to try and justify imposing their drug on everyone around them. All this nonsense about how cigarette smoke never hurt anyone and freedoms are being taken away and it's all bad for the economy and anti-American to boot.

:lol:

I have more respect for the ones who openly admit they are addicts and that being addicts means nothing can come between them and their drug.

That's just silly.

Safety laws are not meant to protect people from things that are inherent risks of the job. If they were, then tackling would be banned from football. But that isn't the case...making players shower in conditions that had raw sewage swirling around their feet isn't an inherent risk of the job and is therefore illegal.

I really don't understand why this is so hard for you to grasp. I can only conclude that your progressive bent means you only wish to outlaw things that offend you and everyone else be damned.

It's hard for them to understand because they are only thinking of themselves and like to force other people to live like they do so they feel like they belong, the only reason they succeed is because they are in the majority.

Anguille

Would you like to see smoking allowed in your workplace? Would you think it would be fair if you and your co-workers were told smoking was now going to be permitted and if you didn't like it, go look for work elsewhere?

If you don't think that's fair, why would it be fair for bar workers?

I have no need to get personal or make up imaginary scenarios about work places. I am talking about restaurants and bars specifically. IF I worked in a restaurant where I didn't like the environment, I would have the choice to work in a different one. If I own a restaurant, I want to have a choice to offer that environment and not be prohibited by law to do so. I appreciate your concern for protecting workers conditions, but I think you stretch this particular argument by trying to compare other work environments.

It would seem it's you that can't distinguish between public and private places.

Can you name any other particular places that you are concerned with?

I can only conclude that your progressive bent means you only wish to outlaw things that offend you and everyone else be damned.

I am constantly amused by all the loopy logic some smokers will come up with to try and justify imposing their drug on everyone around them. All this nonsense about how cigarette smoke never hurt anyone and freedoms are being taken away and it's all bad for the economy and anti-American to boot.

I have more respect for the ones who openly admit they are addicts and that being addicts means nothing can come between them and their drug.

You are no better, you are a drug dealer. Alcohol IS a drug, always has been, always will be, you sell drugs. All bar waitresses and waiters and tenders are just legal drug dealers.

As usual, you totally avoid the point I was making. Not to mention that you've lied about what I said.

Sad.

That's just silly.

Safety laws are not meant to protect people from things that are inherent risks of the job. If they were, then tackling would be banned from football.

:clap2: Exactly!

:rofl:

Oh, been meaning to add somewhere:

If the apartment buildings owner bans it then that's their right, renters are not the ones responsible in an apartment building therefore we do have fewer rights, however, it MUST be in the lease, if not then the owner has no right to set arbitrary rules whenever they feel like because the renter did not agree to them in the contract. Reasons for banning smoking though are rarely about the health of residents ... it's the cleaning cost. The cost to clean one apartment after a year of smoking was almost $500 ten years ago, not sure what it is today but with the increase of other costs I imagine it's much higher. Most security/cleaning deposits are much less in buildings that ban smoking, as are rents, so it has a benefit to the smoker to live in such a place. Mine does allow smoking, thankfully, but is also rent controlled, again thankfully. Though I wouldn't complain if they wanted to add it in the lease, I am renting a great place for less than half what closet space costs in other buildings in this city. There is a way to work around those if you have the money and a good reputation with the owner, you offer to pay more in rent or deposit.

Oh, been meaning to add somewhere:

If the apartment buildings owner bans it then that's their right, renters are not the ones responsible in an apartment building therefore we do have fewer rights, however, it MUST be in the lease, if not then the owner has no right to set arbitrary rules whenever they feel like because the renter did not agree to them in the contract. Reasons for banning smoking though are rarely about the health of residents ... it's the cleaning cost. The cost to clean one apartment after a year of smoking was almost $500 ten years ago, not sure what it is today but with the increase of other costs I imagine it's much higher. Most security/cleaning deposits are much less in buildings that ban smoking, as are rents, so it has a benefit to the smoker to live in such a place. Mine does allow smoking, thankfully, but is also rent controlled, again thankfully. Though I wouldn't complain if they wanted to add it in the lease, I am renting a great place for less than half what closet space costs in other buildings in this city. There is a way to work around those if you have the money and a good reputation with the owner, you offer to pay more in rent or deposit.

Good points! I can see a landlord requiring proof of non-smoking, then saying to a smoking renter, you're going to be surcharged double the clean-up upon the end of lease-when you leave. Costs are reasonable. Shouldn't be government, it wasn't a cost to them, should be the landlord.

I know of a few that ban a lot of things, alcohol, roaming guests (which a guest shouldn't be roaming anyway), etc.. But it's in their lease. Anyone who moves in knows these rules before they sign the lease. I almost moved into a building that banned alcohol just because I can't stand drunks at all (in person, online they can be funny) and drinking attracts a lot of junkies to. Though they didn't ban smoking. The only reason I didn't was because I found one in a better location and fewer residents.

Forum List

Back