Smoking banned in private homes.

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
This is just ridiculous. :cuckoo:

BELMONT, California: During her 50 years of smoking, Edith Frederickson says she has lit up in restaurants and bars, airplanes and trains, and indoors and out, all as part of a two-pack-a-day habit that she regrets not a bit. But as of two weeks ago, Frederickson can no longer smoke in the one place she loves the most: her home.

Frederickson lives in an apartment in Belmont, California, a quiet city about 23 miles, or 37 kilometers, south of San Francisco that is now home to perhaps the nation's strictest anti-smoking law, effectively outlawing lighting up in all apartment buildings.

Smoking ban extends to apartments in California city - International Herald Tribune

"I'm absolutely outraged," said Frederickson, 72, pulling on a Winston as she sat on a concrete slab outside her single-room apartment. "They're telling you how to live and what to do, and they're doing it right here in America."

This is freaking crazy! I don't smoke, and when I did I never smoked in my house, but still, these people should be able to do whatever they want in their homes. (as long as there's not a well, a poodle and Nazi paraphernalia. :tongue: )

*I can't stand my loud, rude, obnoxious neighbor who lives above me, can I get a law against her too?

"I'm absolutely outraged," said Frederickson, 72, pulling on a Winston as she sat on a concrete slab outside her single-room apartment. "They're telling you how to live and what to do, and they're doing it right here in America."

This is freaking crazy! I don't smoke, and when I did I never smoked in my house, but still, these people should be able to do whatever they want in their homes. (as long as there's not a well, a poodle and Nazi paraphernalia. :tongue: )

*I can't stand my loud, rude, obnoxious neighbor who lives above me, can I get a law against her too?
Whine long enough and get on the city council you have a good shot at it EZ.

I guess so. She's goes crying to the condo board if my daughter shuts the door "too loud"-yet I can here her fat ass stomping around upstairs, I swear that is why the lighting fixture in my ceiling fell out! I think she does it on purpose!

Maybe I'll take up smoking again and blow it up her ass! :lol:

I guess so. She's goes crying to the condo board if my daughter shuts the door "too loud"-yet I can here her fat ass stomping around upstairs, I swear that is why the lighting fixture in my ceiling fell out! I think she does it on purpose!

Maybe I'll take up smoking again and blow it up her ass! :lol:

Smoke in your bedroom-----everyone agrees that what goes on in there is no one else's business. :lol:

It's too bad that some people over the age of 70 find it difficult to act like adults. It's also too bad that a nursing home was used as the focus of this story. A building where medical care is delivered is a far cry from a private residence. The author of this story did every reader a disservice by deliberately confusing the issue. The law is obviously aimed at private property owners, yet the author gave a situation where many variables exist that don't apply to most privately owned land, giving the impression that the law may not be so bad.

Smoking is a dying addiction thanks in part to those health fascist laws which, I, as a smoker, find extremely annoying.

EXCEPT FOR BARS, I basically agree with laws that prevent smoking in public places.

Vile addiction, smoking.

yea dude.. because a fucking bar owner shouldn't be able to cater to smokers. I mean, after the great cancerlicious bartender blight of 2006 WHO WOULDNT rather be out doing a safe job like circumcising a fucking bear than bartending?

This shit is THE PERFECT EXAMPLE of the danger of left wing politics gone over the same fascist cliff as right wingers. Sure, sure... we allow the consumption of alcohol in public.. and ACCEPT yearly drunk driving casualties in the thousands because of it... but if smoking makes your fucking hair stink then the torch and pitchfork throngs start to form.

From the article:

"a driving force behind the passage of the law was a group of retirees from the complex who lobbied the city to stop secondhand smoke from drifting into their apartments from the neighbors' places.
"They took it upon themselves to do something about it," said Valerie Harnish, the city's information services manager. "And they did."

Good for them!Nothing more annoying than being woken up in the middle of the night by the stink of your neighbor's cigarette smoking wafting into your bedroom. What I don't get is why the ban applies to the indoors but not the outdoors? It's easier for outdoor secondhand smoke to get into someone's else's apartment via open windows than past closed doors. Not that it's doesn't get in that way also.

Smoking is a dying addiction thanks in part to those health fascist laws which, I, as a smoker, find extremely annoying.

EXCEPT FOR BARS, I basically agree with laws that prevent smoking in public places.

Vile addiction, smoking.

Why do you think bar employees should not be allowed the same workplace protections that all other types of employees are guaranteed?

Vile addiction, smoking.

Why do you think bar employees should not be allowed the same workplace protections that all other types of employees are guaranteed?

I think each business owner should be able to decide what will be allowed or not. I know, weird concept in US. I mean where would we be if the government didn't tell us how to properly use our property?

Vile addiction, smoking.

I think each business owner should be able to decide what will be allowed or not. I know, weird concept in US. I mean where would we be if the government didn't tell us how to properly use our property?

Back before employee protection laws people smoked everywhere. Schools, hospitals, restaurants, airplanes, elevators, etc. Do you think that was good for America?

BELMONT, California: During her 50 years of smoking, Edith Frederickson says she has lit up in restaurants and bars, airplanes and trains, and indoors and out, all as part of a two-pack-a-day habit that she regrets not a bit. But as of two weeks ago, Frederickson can no longer smoke in the one place she loves the most: her home.

Frederickson lives in an apartment in Belmont, California, a quiet city about 23 miles, or 37 kilometers, south of San Francisco that is now home to perhaps the nation's strictest anti-smoking law, effectively outlawing lighting up in all apartment buildings.

Smoking ban extends to apartments in California city - International Herald Tribune

I haven't seen any hard evidence that second hand smoke is as bad as actually smoking. Having said that, my husband and I (both non-smokers) have always been sensitive to the smell of smoke. We avoid it whenever we can. One of the people in the article said it made him sick : "It gave me an instant headache, kind of like an iron band around the head," Goodrich said. "I could be sitting and have the air filters going, which eliminated the visible smoke, but the smoke was still there."

I do know that whenever I go to my friend's house (her husband's a smoker), the smoke is imbedded in EVERYTHING, including her pets. When I leave her house, I come home and my husband knows where I've been. I choose to go visit her because she is my friend, but I wouldn't want other people's smoke infiltrating into my home, if I could help it. I don't allow people to smoke in my home either. Although the word private is used, it's not entirely private because the apartment complex is shared by other people. I'm OK with other people's rights as long as it doesn't impinge on mine.

I haven't seen any hard evidence that second hand smoke is as bad as actually smoking. Having said that, my husband and I (both non-smokers) have always been sensitive to the smell of smoke. We avoid it whenever we can. One of the people in the article said it made him sick : "It gave me an instant headache, kind of like an iron band around the head," Goodrich said. "I could be sitting and have the air filters going, which eliminated the visible smoke, but the smoke was still there."

I do know that whenever I go to my friend's house (her husband's a smoker), the smoke is imbedded in EVERYTHING, including her pets. When I leave her house, I come home and my husband knows where I've been. I choose to go visit her because she is my friend, but I wouldn't want other people's smoke infiltrating into my home, if I could help it. I don't allow people to smoke in my home either. Although the word private is used, it's not entirely private because the apartment complex is shared by other people. I'm OK with other people's rights as long as it doesn't impinge on mine.

I hear you. On the other hand, seems that because one is limited to an apartment or condo, one should still be able to enjoy their property. Outlaw tobacco, that would make more sense than what they are currently doing, mostly the states.

Truly I find my neighbors kids trashing my bushes while playing football or whatever very annoying, however wouldn't consider calling the city council on them. What about folks that have their stereos turned up where I can hear their poor musical tastes? Worse yet, their taste in tv programming! Hearing their love making or arguments, causing me loss of sleep and blood pressure rising? Damn folks that cook with curry, man I've thrown up from the odor. I demand compensation.

I hear you. On the other hand, seems that because one is limited to an apartment or condo, one should still be able to enjoy their property. Outlaw tobacco, that would make more sense than what they are currently doing, mostly the states.

Truly I find my neighbors kids trashing my bushes while playing football or whatever very annoying, however wouldn't consider calling the city council on them. What about folks that have their stereos turned up where I can hear their poor musical tastes? Worse yet, their taste in tv programming! Hearing their love making or arguments, causing me loss of sleep and blood pressure rising? Damn folks that cook with curry, man I've thrown up from the odor. I demand compensation.

LOL! What's your beef with curry? Just kidding.

I hear you as well. How much more private can it get? Not everyone lives in a private house.

But honestly, I think people who smoke don't realize how offensive smoke is. It gets into your hair, clothes, furniture, rugs. The odor is not gotten rid of easily. I do feel sorry for smokers, because once you get addicted to the nicotine, it's a hard habit to break. But once a smoker's actions degrades my own standard of living, then I would have to speak up.

But there are other things that we put up with as well like loud noise from a party or a bunch of kids playing basketball in their yard late at night. Everyone has their own list of things that will tolerate. Smoking is not on mine.

Last Monday my boyfriend and I were in a movie theater and a guy came in and sat near us. He reeked of cigarette smoke. We and several other people got up and moved to other seats far enough away so we wouldn't smell him anymore. He ended up sitting all alone in an island of empty seats. I think that lots of smokers are just nose deaf and totally unaware of how much their smoke or the odor from their smoke infested clothing is affecting others. That's partly why they don't get it when laws are passed to prevent them from stinking up public places. If smoke from their private homes is spreading to public areas or into other people's private homes, they are just as responsible for creating a public nuisance and public health hazard as if they blasting loud music. Actually loud music is easier to deal with because you can always use earplugs but you can't stop breathing.

Damn folks that cook with curry, man I've thrown up from the odor. I demand compensation.

LOL! Other people's cooking odors can be pretty awful. The lighter fluid fumes from my neighbor's charcoal grill 12 feet from my kitchen window is as bad as their cigarettes.

Forum List

Back