Smoking Ban law, booo

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
BOISE _ Starting July 1, there will be no more smoking allowed in Idaho restaurants.

-----------------------------------------

The signing came on the final day to act on bills from this year's legislative session. The governor, for the first time this year, brought out his veto stamp, nixing five bills. He also signed the last 18 bills into law, including measures to ban lawsuits against restaurants for making people fat, and designating the peregrine falcon as the state raptor.

The smoking bill was controversial, with many North Idaho lawmakers contending it could hamper the area's combination restaurant-bars.

To accommodate restaurant-bar combinations, the bill's authors allowed restaurants that serve alcohol to essentially declare themselves bars after a certain hour or on certain days, and allow smoking -- provided that they then exclude anyone under age 21.

---------------------------------------------

This is good though.

SIGNED INTO LAW:

•HB 590a, the "Commonsense Consumption Act," forbidding obesity lawsuits against food sellers.

https://secure.spokesmanreview.com

Most everywhere they are banning smoking at restraunts - NJ has a lot have done so already! but of course, the diners still all have smoking areas.

We haven't been able to smoke anywhere here for almost two years. A lot of local bars and restaurants are suffering, or have closed altogether. Do you know how much a pack goes for up here these days - $7.50. I need all the incentive to quite I can get.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
Fayetteville, AR is totally smokefree except in bars, which I like.

Commonsense Consumption Act is awesome.
Arrrggghh, believe me I really dislike smoking it has seriously effected the health of a close family memeber. But is it commonsense to let the government control more of private business. Shouldn't the business owner decide what is best for his establishment.

I'm opposed to these types of blanket smoking bans as well. These decisions should be left up to restaurant owners. If people don't like smoke, they should frequent non-smoking establishments.

I also support the law banning lawsuits against fast food companies for making people fat, they should, however have added that you can't sue if you spill coffee on yourself either.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
I'm opposed to these types of blanket smoking bans as well. These decisions should be left up to restaurant owners. If people don't like smoke, they should frequent non-smoking establishments.

I also support the law banning lawsuits against fast food companies for making people fat, they should, however have added that you can't sue if you spill coffee on yourself either.

acludem
Well said acludem.

Originally posted by acludem

acludem

Wow... we agree on this one as well!

My county banned smoking in all workplaces, including restraunts and bars. While I do enjoy the smoke-free environment, I do agree that it's a decision best left up to the business owners. I certainly agree with Idaho's decision to allow smoking in 21-and-up bars.

I agree that this is wrong to ban smoking in restaurants and bars. I know smoking is a bad habit(one which I can't seem to kick),but the government has no business telling the owners of these places if people can smoke or not. about 2 years ago,my husband and I signed something to stop these bans in restaurants and bars.I don't know if there is anything going on persently in Ohio or not-I'll have to check it out. Although I do see the side of the nonsmoker, this is just too much government for me.

:eek: :eek:

When the archeologists pick through the rubble, they will say to themselves, "America would have come to a crashing end in 2004, until smoking bans were put into place. With that, society chugged along for a whole 'nother 10 years!"

Forum List

Back