Smoking ban in private residences

Personally, I would think it might hurt the whole condo industry. Changing the rules after you buy could have a serious chilling effect on that market. Pet owners might be particularly concerned.

All HOAs and condo associations can change the rules at any time with a majority vote. There is nothing new about this.

No, they can't.

I'm holding a ruling from a Judge where I was out-voted 8-1.

So it is often a matter of who is willing to spend how much to fight.

It's likely structured in the contract the tenants signed when moving in; That rules are subject to change and an outlay of how the changes take place (HOA vote, or whatever).

What a person does in the privacy of their own home is no one's business. Period.

Where do we draw the line as to how far the fucking government can go?
government?

Take the decision of the Nazi condo cabal to court to protect your rights to consume a legal product in the privacy of your own home and see what happens ass wad.
By that logic, it's the evil nazi government being Hitler whenever I tell you to take your shoes off before entering my home

And Obama is Pol Pot because you won't let me walk around your house naked- after all, if i go to court over my right to do what I wish in a building you own, what do you think will happen?

I am going to build some condos and make it illegal for the women to have sex with anyone else but me. It will be in the lease and be strictly enforced.

What a person does in the privacy of their own home is no one's business. Period.

Where do we draw the line as to how far the fucking government can go?
government?
Skull Pilot said:
Hi, you have received -129 reputation points from Skull Pilot.
Reputation was given for this post.

I guess Skull doesn't like feeling as stupid as he is

Quid quo pro ass wad

So the decision of the condo cabal won't be upheld in a court of law?

The very fact that a condo cabal or a nazi neighborhood association can demand you alter your legal behavior is an infringement of one's rights and those infringement s are allowed to stand by whom?

I am a longtime smoker and, assuming they don't change the rules for current residents, only future, I'm fine with this. Smoking certainly has an effect on a home which an owner who is renting out would want to avoid; both the smell (which I consider less of an issue, unless the furniture belongs to the owner rather than the renter) and the staining that occurs on walls and/or carpets. It's been years since I smoked inside, but when I did, I occasionally left some pretty severe staining.

There's a big difference between the private owners of apartments or condos banning smoking in the buildings they own and some sort of governmental ban. If there were a state or federal law which banned smoking inside a person's home, I'd be against it. This is just another rule set by the building owners.

I am not so sure that people who smoke can really smell the odor smoking leaves on clothing, in homes, in cars etc. etc. etc. My parents smoked all my life. I never noticed the smell until I moved out. Then after going to visit when I got home later, I could really smell the difference on my clothing and in my hair... um that was when I actually had hair. :lol:

Still, I am opposed to governmental bans on smoking in businesses and personal residences, even in restaurants. I don't smoke and given a preference between an establishment that allows smoking and one that does not, I would more than likely chose the one that does not. If enough of us vote with our dollars, the establishments would chose not to allow smoking. But then it is their choice, not the government's.

Immie

Yes, telling you you're not allowed to stain the walls and make the property smell of tobacco smoke is totally the same as killing millions of people...

The closest thing to a NAZI here is the one trivializing Auschwitz

Nice to selectively quote isn't it?

The term was nazi neighborhood associations

If I OWN the condo then I can stain my own walls with whatever the fuck I want. Who the fuck are you to tell me what i can and can't do in the privacy of my own home?

And I never mentioned Auschwitz but i hear some of their ovens still work, you might want to stick your fat head in one.

Last edited:
Many New York City smokers may feel like the only place they can legally light up these days is at home--or at least, it used to be.

From the Wall Street Journal:

At least half a dozen Manhattan co-ops are expected to ask shareholders during annual meetings this spring to vote on an all-out smoking ban that would prohibit residents from lighting up in their own homes, real estate attorneys say.

Another dozen co-op or condo buildings are considering such a vote.

The Journal notes that, in New York, it's already illegal to smoke in public areas at any building with more than nine apartments

Last month, the City Council voted to ban smoking in parks, beaches and other public spaces like Times Square..

Condos, Co-Ops To Vote On Smoking Bans

Good idea?

Police State anyone? HELL NO its not a good idea. Keep yer mitts off my house and what I do in it.

You don't wholly own the property, dumbass
At least half a dozen Manhattan co-ops are expected to ask shareholders during annual meetings this spring to vote

Now go on and tell us some how about how putting up a 'no smoking' sign is the same as kristallnacht

You don't wholly own the property, dumbass
At least half a dozen Manhattan co-ops are expected to ask shareholders during annual meetings this spring to vote

Now go on and tell us some how about how putting up a 'no smoking' sign is the same as kristallnacht

An HOA is charged with the upkeep of common areas. What goes on behind the closed door of my condo is not within the authority of an HOA.

Unless it was part of a Co-op or HOA I would be very surprised. If not, that would require the local government telling you that you cannot engage in a legal activity in your own home and I'd wager that wouldn't pass constitutional muster.

I'm not so sure about that. A group of non smokers could certainly gather together and sue because the smell of smoke "bothered" them.
Why aren't nicotine patches provided free for addicts ? We provide methadone for heroin addicts.

Doesn't mean they're gonna win. :thup:

On a side note, every time my neighbor does laundry the stench of dryer sheets fills the air and often gives me a headache. That's way worse than the smell of smoke.

And what about barbeque? Can people sue if that smell bothers them?

How about wood burning stoves?

I used to manage an apartment complex. Two little old ladies complained about EVERYTHING. If someone was outside on their patio smoking, they would complain to them and then come complain to me about it. If someone barbequed on their patio area, they would complain to them and then come complain to me about it. One guy was painting his bathroom pink for his wife and the complained of the paint smell, then came to me. If it was cold and people used their fireplaces, the old bats would complain about the smoke and smell of the wood burning and come complain to me. A few tenants threatened to move because they were tired of the Two Old Lady Police. So one day after I had had enough, I went door to door to the tenants and said every Saturday was Barbque night and I would supply the charcoal, every night of the week was Fireplace Night and I would supply the wood, every day was Fan Day to smoke outside and to help it disperse the smoke the fans were to be turned ...ahem...in any direction they wished...hint hint......and if anyone wanted to paint, I would supply the paint color.
The old cackling hens moved a 2months later.

I'm not so sure about that. A group of non smokers could certainly gather together and sue because the smell of smoke "bothered" them.
Why aren't nicotine patches provided free for addicts ? We provide methadone for heroin addicts.

On a side note, every time my neighbor does laundry the stench of dryer sheets fills the air and often gives me a headache. That's way worse than the smell of smoke.

I used to manage an apartment complex. Two little old ladies complained about EVERYTHING. If someone was outside on their patio smoking, they would complain to them and then come complain to me about it. If someone barbequed on their patio area, they would complain to them and then come complain to me about it. One guy was painting his bathroom pink for his wife and the complained of the paint smell, then came to me. If it was cold and people used their fireplaces, the old bats would complain about the smoke and smell of the wood burning and come complain to me. A few tenants threatened to move because they were tired of the Two Old Lady Police. So one day after I had had enough, I went door to door to the tenants and said every Saturday was Barbque night and I would supply the charcoal, every night of the week was Fireplace Night and I would supply the wood, every day was Fan Day to smoke outside and to help it disperse the smoke the fans were to be turned ...ahem...in any direction they wished...hint hint......and if anyone wanted to paint, I would supply the paint color.

Sounds like hell, remind me to never apply for that job.

I think these regulations on cig smoking should be up to the property owners.

Sounds like hell, remind me to never apply for that job.

Did it for 20 plus years. Even had a property black listed by the navy and turned it around to where it was THE place to live.
Walked many alleys behind a property with Matilda (my 357) firmly tucked in my waistband due to the bloods and crips hanging out back there.
Been all over the place...from being hoity toity-only-in-a-biz-suit manager of some uppity snotty property to barefoot-meet-at-the-beach-laid-back property. Finally got fed up with the bullshit and quit after 17 years at one. The owner died and I said Im done too and walked away.
Would I ever do it again? Nope. Dont have the patience for it any more. Now IM the cranky old lady, lol.

Forum List

Back