Smoking ban in private residences

i have been on both sides of this issue.....

if one does not like hoa or condominium restrictions DO NOT BUY THERE simple as that...

someone is gonna make a killing opening some type of smoking lounge

What about restrictions that are imposed after you buy?

Because of the secondary smoke effects what a smoker does affects other people. In your own house, if both adults are smokers, then there should be no problem. However if there are kids in there I see a problem. This is why I support public prohibition on smoking. In the house ... presents a very hard dilemma. Is subjecting your kids to secondary smoke child abuse? It is causing them physical damage to their lungs and such.

I believe a person should be able to do what they want on their property without fear of the government or nosy neighbors as long as what they do does not hurt other people. If they want to kill themselves, go ahead, but don't take other people down that road.

Of course condos and rental properties have all kinds of rules, no pets and stuff like that, so go ahead and make them smoke free. People have the right and freedom to move somewhere else that will allow smoking so it is not an undue burden.

Full disclosure.

I am a non smoker, and have even worked to pass laws that restrict smoking in public. I got into a huge argument one day and quite because they started talking about making it illegal to smoke in a car and many other places that are not public.

I hate second hand smoke, and believe that it is a health risk, but there is absolutely no evidence that third hand smoke is a real danger to anyone. There was more evidence for the link between autism and vaccines than there is for any real danger from the left over toxins from cigarettes. What they are trying to do is make an environment that removes all dangers, and that is impossible. If they are that worried about the dangers that are all around them they can move into a plastic bubble, and leave the rest of us alone.

Many New York City smokers may feel like the only place they can legally light up these days is at home--or at least, it used to be.

From the Wall Street Journal:

At least half a dozen Manhattan co-ops are expected to ask shareholders during annual meetings this spring to vote on an all-out smoking ban that would prohibit residents from lighting up in their own homes, real estate attorneys say.

Another dozen co-op or condo buildings are considering such a vote.

The Journal notes that, in New York, it's already illegal to smoke in public areas at any building with more than nine apartments

Last month, the City Council voted to ban smoking in parks, beaches and other public spaces like Times Square..

Condos, Co-Ops To Vote On Smoking Bans

Good idea?

Jezus fucking Krist!!

Aren't these the same ubber libs that want to legalize dope?

I'm absofuckinglootly Godsmacked!

Are the NOT the same people that scream for government to stay outta thier bodies?

Friggin over the damn top.

Interesting discussion. I hope the Post does a follow
up so we can see how it ends. Very slippery slope. Personally, I would think it might hurt the whole condo industry. Changing the rules after you buy could have a serious chilling effect on that market. Pet owners might be particularly concerned.

In the house ... presents a very hard dilemma. Is subjecting your kids to secondary smoke child abuse? It is causing them physical damage to their lungs and such.

It is doing no such thing. The "effects" of second hand smoke are greatly exaggerated.

Personally, I would think it might hurt the whole condo industry. Changing the rules after you buy could have a serious chilling effect on that market. Pet owners might be particularly concerned.

All HOAs and condo associations can change the rules at any time with a majority vote. There is nothing new about this.

Personally, I would think it might hurt the whole condo industry. Changing the rules after you buy could have a serious chilling effect on that market. Pet owners might be particularly concerned.

All HOAs and condo associations can change the rules at any time with a majority vote. There is nothing new about this.

No, they can't.

I'm holding a ruling from a Judge where I was out-voted 8-1.

So it is often a matter of who is willing to spend how much to fight.

In the house ... presents a very hard dilemma. Is subjecting your kids to secondary smoke child abuse? It is causing them physical damage to their lungs and such.

It is doing no such thing. The "effects" of second hand smoke are greatly exaggerated.

Yes and we could probably come up with a list of dozens of behaviors that are even more harmful to children than second hand smoke.. Unfortunate, but do we really want to go there? I don't.

Many New York City smokers may feel like the only place they can legally light up these days is at home--or at least, it used to be.

At least half a dozen Manhattan co-ops are expected to ask shareholders during annual meetings this spring to vote on an all-out smoking ban that would prohibit residents from lighting up in their own homes, real estate attorneys say.

The Journal notes that, in New York, it's already illegal to smoke in public areas at any building with more than nine apartments

Last month, the City Council voted to ban smoking in parks, beaches and other public spaces like Times Square..

Good idea?

This is what I don't agree with, democracies infringe on the rights of the minority. Thank God we are a Constitutional Republic, and the rights of the minority are protected.

Last edited:
I rented an apartment in California where the complex didn't allow smoking, it said so in the lease, I smoked like a chimney don't know how the fuck they thought they were going to enforce that one.

Good idea?

Good idea for future purchasers of properties in those communities.

But not a fair to impose that ban on people who already own their properties, I think.
I agree
if the smoking ban is approved future owners can decide whether to buy there or not
freedom of choice

those who already *own * should be grandfathered in .

I am a longtime smoker and, assuming they don't change the rules for current residents, only future, I'm fine with this. Smoking certainly has an effect on a home which an owner who is renting out would want to avoid; both the smell (which I consider less of an issue, unless the furniture belongs to the owner rather than the renter) and the staining that occurs on walls and/or carpets. It's been years since I smoked inside, but when I did, I occasionally left some pretty severe staining.

There's a big difference between the private owners of apartments or condos banning smoking in the buildings they own and some sort of governmental ban. If there were a state or federal law which banned smoking inside a person's home, I'd be against it. This is just another rule set by the building owners.

Forum List

Back