Smokin' a Fattie.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
No, no, no...a Pork Fattie!

I tried this the first time yesterday, and it was so easy and delicious, I couldn't wait to share it with you.

IMAG0046-1.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

I watched this video on Youtube and followed the recipe almost to the letter.

[youtube]3LqwKMpCqyg[/youtube]

The one pictured above is a sausage fattie with onion, mushrooms and pepper-jack cheese...yum!

Last edited:
If you've never done 'Low and Slow' on your charcoal or gas grill, it's not difficult to master.

I use this exact set up...same grill, same method except I started with 26 briquettes, 13 on each side of the drip pan instead of a full chimney, and I use [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7403-Char-Basket-Charcoal-Briquet/dp/B000WEMGM4"]Weber Charcoal Baskets[/ame].

[youtube]_jUm0svLuWQ&NR=1[/youtube]

I also soak a handful of wood chips (you can buy them at Wal-mart, Lowe's, etc.) in water for 1 hour and put them directly on top of the piles of hot briquettes to produce smoke.

I found that she did a video on this too.

[youtube]pDpgq8D6v_0&feature=fvsr[/youtube]

Gas is even easier.

[youtube]w1cLpdAwdn4[/youtube]

To smoke on gas grills:

[youtube]uEKnHMpNdzQ[/youtube]

That looks delish!

Recipe por favor!

That looks delish!

Recipe por favor!

It was absolutely fabulous....and so simple.

I used a one pound tube package of ground sausage (like Jimmy Dean), 13 strips of thick cut bacon, diced sweet onion (I couldn't get Vidalias so I used Heavenly Sweets instead), diced mushrooms, pepper-jack cheese plus freshly ground pepper and dried minced garlic.

Open the sausage and slice it longways to create a pocket

insert veggies of your choice and cheese of your choice

close pocket and form meat to enclose stuffing evenly

add spices or rub to the outside of the sausage roll

make the bacon weave (watch the video in the first post)

Place the sausage roll in the bacon weave and roll it up...no toothpicks required

Smoke on grill using indirect heat and wood chips at 225 to 250 degrees until the internal temp is 165 degrees...mine took 2 hours.

Remove from grill.

I wanted my bacon crispy to I placed it on a half sheet and broiled it on low in the oven until crisp...about 2 minutes per side, but keep a close eye on it, cuz it will burn.

Let it rest for 20 minutes and then slice into 1/2 medallions.

I served over toast with baked beans...Mmmm good.

Definitely watch the video, I would have followed it exactly, but green peppers were $1.44 each :eek:.

Last edited:
Haven't made one of these in awhile.

Got a small boston butt brining...

...and bacon is on sale...

Might do both...and some Spam to boot.

IMG_20230505_113538664~2.jpg

IMG_20230505_113843586.jpg

IMG_20230505_121056241.jpg

IMG_20230505_142114763.jpg

IMG_20230505_152608572.jpg

A mild sausage (left) and a corned beef hash (right) both with pepper jack cheese, green peppers and onion.

Started at 11:45, done at 3pm.

Forum List

Back