Smokers... (Why) do you litter your butts everywhere?

Smokers... (Why) do you litter your butts everywhere?

• I'm a smoker, I litter my butts almost all the time (see below for why).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a smoker, I litter my butts only when I have no alternative.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I'm a smoker, I litter my butts almost never.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I'm not a smoker.

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

jAZ

Jan 13, 2006
This is one thing that I've never understood.

Some smokers won't throw any regular garbage in the street, but they will pitch a 100 butts a day anywhere but the ashtray.

I gotta agree with you on this one, because it is really gross and just sad. When I am at a stoplight and waiting to turn, i always see dozens of cig butts laying in the grass on the corner.

What was really funny (no, not really, but you get it) was someone flicking their cig butt out the window nearly burnt down the BRAND NEW Lowe's store that had just opened a week before. Th butt started a grass fire 1/4 mile down the highway. It took 3 county fire stations and finally a water plane to put out the fire. The flames came within 20 feet of the building and 100 yards from some new homes. It was right next to the main freeway AT RUSH HOUR. I had a nice time spending an hour on the highway, only 4 miles from home, and not being able to go anywhere....

I've noticed the same thing. In fact, the problem's so bad that the Georgia Department of Sanitation and the Georgia Highway Department have launched a PSA campaign (with little effect) to inform the public of the enormous problem caused by cigarette butt litter. The stuff is typically on fire when it's thrown, which starts fires, and it's not biodegradable, meaning that, if left unchecked, a cigarette butt could remain in its resting place for decades.

jAZ said:
This is one thing that I've never understood.

Some smokers won't throw any regular garbage in the street, but they will pitch a 100 butts a day anywhere but the ashtray.
Dude, I've noticed that a lot in the bigger towns and cities. It's really disgusting.

Tax-paying smokers have been kicked out of nearly ever buiding there is ( where they had convenient astrays) except our own homes. If we are going to be made to smoke outside on the streets, I guess the butts will end up there until we get fined for doing that too. Passive-agression ? Maybe

Hobbit said:
The stuff is typically on fire when it's thrown, which starts fires, and it's not biodegradable, meaning that, if left unchecked, a cigarette butt could remain in its resting place for decades.
Until your toddler, playing in the grass on a sunny day walks up to you with an old cigarette hanging out of her mouth.

dilloduck said:
Tax-paying smokers have been kicked out of nearly ever buiding there is ( where they had convenient astrays) except our own homes. If we are going to be made to smoke outside on the streets, I guess the butts will end up there until we get fined for doing that too. Passive-agression ? Maybe
True, I have to agree that smokers are being treated unfairly (I believe New York State probably is the worst in the nation in that regard). That having been said, it still doesn't excuse them from littering.....

Have you taken a good look at the people that just throw their butts everywhere? They're mostly the type that will throw anything anywhere. Candy wrappers, coffee cups, fast food containers..It makes no difference. They don't care. Their houses are probably disgustingly messy, and their clothes are probably in need of washing, as are they themselves.

Personally, I don't smoke in my house, I don't smoke in my car, and I don't smoke around friends/family that don't smoke. In walking from my car, to a store, restaurant, or whatever, I will walk to the door that has the ashtray outside, and dispose of it there.. IF there is no ashtray because the establishment decides it doesn't want one, then it becomes not my problem, and I'll step on it in the parking lot, and leave it there. Never, ever, will I just toss it, and leave it burning, however..

But, I'm also the type of person that won't toss soda cans, coffee cups, candy wrappers, or even a piece of kleenex.

KarlMarx said:
True, I have to agree that smokers are being treated unfairly (I believe New York State probably is the worst in the nation in that regard). That having been said, it still doesn't excuse them from littering.....

Hmmm...... ever been "incarcerated" to California? The anti-smoking laws there are absurd.

Shattered said:
Have you taken a good look at the people that just throw their butts everywhere? They're mostly the type that will throw anything anywhere. Candy wrappers, coffee cups, fast food containers..It makes no difference. They don't care.
Not my experience at all...

I can't remember the last time I saw someone deliberately throw a piece of garbage in the street. However, I can't remember the last time I saw a smoker standing outside somewhere who DIDN'T butt it out on the ground and leave it there.

Weirder still, I've seen smokers who had a drink, and they will butt out the cigarette on the ground and then walk for a few seconds/minutes to throw away their cup/trash.

jAZ said:
Not my experience at all...

I can't remember the last time I saw someone deliberately throw a piece of garbage in the street. However, I can't remember the last time I saw a smoker standing outside somewhere who DIDN'T butt it out on the ground and leave it there.

Weirder still, I've seen smokers who had a drink, and they will butt out the cigarette on the ground and then walk for a few seconds/minutes to throw away their cup/trash.

As she pointed out, if you require me to go outside to smoke; yet, do not provide me with an ashtray, you can police the butts.

People more than likely toss their butts from vehicles because an unused ashtray is brownie points in a trade.

Not to worry though. It won't be long before smokers are required to hide in their basements to light up.

GunnyL said:
As she pointed out, if you require me to go outside to smoke; yet, do not provide me with an ashtray, you can police the butts.
This makes sense. Most places I've known typically have a ashtray, but not all, and those that don't should.
GunnyL said:
People more than likely toss their butts from vehicles because an unused ashtray is brownie points in a trade.
This also makes sense, but I don't have as much charity for this guy. Get a freaking new ashtray from the parts department at the dealer for 20 bucks before you trade it back in!

I smoke cigars so I am really limited to where i can lite up. The butt is completely degradable within hours so I don't concern myself with dropping them into the street. I have handed a lit cigar to a guy trying to get money on a street corner, he said it made his day.
I also smoke a pipe, that tobacco makes almost any place smell better when I walk in but pipe smokers are the most discriminated against, can't smoke it anywhere but home,car or the tobacco store.
When I was in high school I worked for my brother who was the head golf pro at a golf course. When he wanted to be a dick he would send me out to the parking lot to pick up cig butts. I learned to hate cigarettes back then.

In Washington, we have a litter hotline (1-866-LITTER1), which I call every time I see some jerk throw a cigarette butt out of his/her car window. They can't fine anyone based off of that, but they will send a warning to the person, saying that they could receive a $1,000 fine for throwing out a cigarette butt.

People need to lighten up on the smokers. I'm all for people doing what they feel like as long as they arent harming others. With that said, if its causing fires its a danger to other people. I see cigarette butts being flicked out of cars all the time. Many times it hits my car when im driving. I used to get really pissed when my car was new and they leave a mark on my paint. Now i dont care as much. Anyway, if its a danger to the public then it needs to be stopped. Its not that hard to keep the butts in the ash tray thats installed into your car.

Well, just lookee where the liberal mafia have driven us....we now spend our time talking like good little citizens about cigarette butts...and where people should put them....and what a "terrible danger" butts are.....instead of a thousand other more important things....because the smokers have been driven outdoors...and Smoky the Bear obviously cannot cover such a big job. :dev1:

Look at how we all bow down to the Big Brother laws engendered by those with their "superior" intelligence and "do gooder" intentions. I wonder what's the next repression and behavior modification they have in store for us? :smoke:

It all just makes me want to STUB OUT out a liberal! :chains:

ScreamingEagle said:
Well, just lookee where the liberal mafia have driven us....we now spend our time talking like good little citizens about cigarette butts...and where people should put them....and what a "terrible danger" butts are.....instead of a thousand other more important things....because the smokers have been driven outdoors...and Smoky the Bear obviously cannot cover such a big job. :dev1:

Look at how we all bow down to the Big Brother laws engendered by those with their "superior" intelligence and "do gooder" intentions. I wonder what's the next repression and behavior modification they have in store for us? :smoke:

It all just makes me want to STUB OUT out a liberal! :chains:

Wasnt it you that took the "Its the law and you got to follow it" approach to speeding tickets and traffic viaolations?

insein said:
Wasnt it you that took the "Its the law and you got to follow it" approach to speeding tickets and traffic viaolations?

I don't know. Can't remember that I did. However, I agree the law is the law and must be followed until it is changed. The law reflects the will of the people.

Unfortunately the libs have too many people hyped into thinking that smoking is much more important than things like say, pedophilia, for example. In fact, it was one of our resident liberals on this board that brought up this so very "important" subject because that's what's on their minds. Our society is becoming one big sick, dirty ashtray (in the greater sense) yet those "superior" liberals focus on the "more important" things like cigarette butts. :coffee3:

ScreamingEagle said:
I don't know. Can't remember that I did. However, I agree the law is the law and must be followed until it is changed. The law reflects the will of the people.

Unfortunately the libs have too many people hyped into thinking that smoking is much more important than things like say, pedophilia, for example. In fact, it was one of our resident liberals on this board that brought up this so very "important" subject because that's what's on their minds. Our society is becoming one big sick, dirty ashtray (in the greater sense) yet those "superior" liberals focus on the "more important" things like cigarette butts. :coffee3:

I don't think anyone's said that smoking is more important than pedophilia. And apparently, the will of the people in WA is that smoking should be banned in all indoor places of employment. I didn't vote for it personally, but that's the law. So is the $1000 fine for cigarette butt litter - because they can and do cause fires, which costs taxpayers money.

Forum List

Back