Smokers... (Why) do you litter your butts everywhere?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jAZ, Jan 21, 2006.

?

Smokers... (Why) do you litter your butts everywhere?

1. I'm a smoker, I litter my butts almost all the time (see below for why).

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'm a smoker, I litter my butts only when I have no alternative.

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. I'm a smoker, I litter my butts almost never.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I'm not a smoker.

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  1. jAZ

jAZ Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is one thing that I've never understood.

Some smokers won't throw any regular garbage in the street, but they will pitch a 100 butts a day anywhere but the ashtray.

2. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    I gotta agree with you on this one, because it is really gross and just sad. When I am at a stoplight and waiting to turn, i always see dozens of cig butts laying in the grass on the corner.

What was really funny (no, not really, but you get it) was someone flicking their cig butt out the window nearly burnt down the BRAND NEW Lowe's store that had just opened a week before. Th butt started a grass fire 1/4 mile down the highway. It took 3 county fire stations and finally a water plane to put out the fire. The flames came within 20 feet of the building and 100 yards from some new homes. It was right next to the main freeway AT RUSH HOUR. I had a nice time spending an hour on the highway, only 4 miles from home, and not being able to go anywhere....

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I've noticed the same thing. In fact, the problem's so bad that the Georgia Department of Sanitation and the Georgia Highway Department have launched a PSA campaign (with little effect) to inform the public of the enormous problem caused by cigarette butt litter. The stuff is typically on fire when it's thrown, which starts fires, and it's not biodegradable, meaning that, if left unchecked, a cigarette butt could remain in its resting place for decades.

4. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Dude, I've noticed that a lot in the bigger towns and cities. It's really disgusting.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Tax-paying smokers have been kicked out of nearly ever buiding there is ( where they had convenient astrays) except our own homes. If we are going to be made to smoke outside on the streets, I guess the butts will end up there until we get fined for doing that too. Passive-agression ? Maybe

6. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Until your toddler, playing in the grass on a sunny day walks up to you with an old cigarette hanging out of her mouth.

7. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    True, I have to agree that smokers are being treated unfairly (I believe New York State probably is the worst in the nation in that regard). That having been said, it still doesn't excuse them from littering.....

8. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you taken a good look at the people that just throw their butts everywhere? They're mostly the type that will throw anything anywhere. Candy wrappers, coffee cups, fast food containers..It makes no difference. They don't care. Their houses are probably disgustingly messy, and their clothes are probably in need of washing, as are they themselves.

Personally, I don't smoke in my house, I don't smoke in my car, and I don't smoke around friends/family that don't smoke. In walking from my car, to a store, restaurant, or whatever, I will walk to the door that has the ashtray outside, and dispose of it there.. IF there is no ashtray because the establishment decides it doesn't want one, then it becomes not my problem, and I'll step on it in the parking lot, and leave it there. Never, ever, will I just toss it, and leave it burning, however..

But, I'm also the type of person that won't toss soda cans, coffee cups, candy wrappers, or even a piece of kleenex.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Hmmm...... ever been "incarcerated" to California? The anti-smoking laws there are absurd.

10. jAZ

jAZ Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Not my experience at all...

I can't remember the last time I saw someone deliberately throw a piece of garbage in the street. However, I can't remember the last time I saw a smoker standing outside somewhere who DIDN'T butt it out on the ground and leave it there.

Weirder still, I've seen smokers who had a drink, and they will butt out the cigarette on the ground and then walk for a few seconds/minutes to throw away their cup/trash.