smart move by Romney

HomeInspect

Feb 26, 2012
Maryland
Mitt Romney made a very strong move by speaking before the NAACP today, and an even stronger move by not changing or avoiding his stance to repeal ObamaCare in front of that crowd.

“If our goal is jobs, we have to stop spending over a trillion dollars more than we take in every year. So to do that, I’m going to eliminate every non-essential, expensive program I can find. That includes ObamaCare,” Romney said before the crowd unleashed a cascade of boos.

Making a speech to an audience consisting of one of the most well-known and established civil rights groups that shows an overwhelming amount of support for the incumbent President Obama is no easy task, but Mitt Romney was up to it and showed that he is willing to reach out to those who disagree with him. He heard boos and the crowd jeered him as he explicitly voiced his opposition to many Obama policies on energy, trade, the size of government, education, and the economy, but he didn’t budge on his stances or cater to the crowd just for the sake of political pandering (like his opponent has been known to do.)

Why Romney’s NAACP Speech Was One of the Smartest Political Moves of Our Time - Independent Journal Review

This crowd was quite interesting...............

It was clear they weren't all anti-Romney. While the booing at times was not unexpected, there were other times when they applauded.

The most interesting snippet I heard was when I could hear both booing AND applause. Clearly not a solidly like-minded group.

And a standing ovation at the end.

While he may not get many votes from NAACP members, I agree this may have been another big step forward in building a more positive image in the eyes of the still undecided voters.

I believe the man is very measured and very organized with a talent for quiet leadership. We're not going to get any pom pom waving, no rah-rah go-team-go moments. Just slow, quiet careful plodding forward one step at a time.

Today was an important step forward.

Yeah, they really enjoyed it...

You clearly only watched the Highlights on Liberal Media, The Crowd was Rather Respectful. sure they booed the things you would expect, but not to loudly or for to long. They Cheered many times as well, and Gave him a standing O when he left.

Romney went in there, and didn't try to pretend to be something he is not to please his current Crowd, He told them what he wants to do, and what he thinks it will do for them, and showed good Character and Poise.

Not a big Fan of Romney myself, and when I heard he was going I thought it would be a disaster, it wasn't.

Pelosi: Romney wanted to be booed by NAACP - POLITICO.com

Pelosi: Romney wanted to be booed by NAACP

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is hinting that all those boos toward Mitt Romney on Wednesday at the NAACP convention may have been exactly what the former governor was counting on.

Back in Washington, the chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus wasn’t all too pleased either with Romney’s comments on health care, either.

“I felt terrible when the booing started, but I also believe that if he’s got any African-Americans in and around his campaign – which I don’t know; if he does, I don’t know any of them -- if he has staff members who vetted that speech or inserted some of the things that I heard, they should be fired," Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.) told a handful of reporters. “I mean, how in the world would you stand up in front of the NAACP and say that you oppose Obamacare?”

I felt terrible when the booing started ...

rather than deferring to his audience, Romney chose political pandering and right wing divisiveness - not bothering a measured response or meaningful alternative.

yes, it was his objective to illicit their response in kind.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is hinting that all those boos toward Mitt Romney on Wednesday at the NAACP convention may have been exactly what the former governor was counting on.

Back in Washington, the chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus wasn’t all too pleased either with Romney’s comments on health care, either.

“I felt terrible when the booing started, but I also believe that if he’s got any African-Americans in and around his campaign – which I don’t know; if he does, I don’t know any of them -- if he has staff members who vetted that speech or inserted some of the things that I heard, they should be fired," Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.) told a handful of reporters. “I mean, how in the world would you stand up in front of the NAACP and say that you oppose Obamacare?”

rather than deferring to his audience, Romney chose political pandering and right wing divisiveness - not bothering a measured response or meaningful alternative.

Wait, so you actually prefer Politicians who simply go around and say what they think the current crowd wants to hear, and not what they actually mean?

Sad

On the contrary, Romney did not pander to the audience, and held his beliefs. Pelosi's opinion is hysterical. How can any person be taken seriously when they urge passage of a bill to find out what's in it. I truely believe that Pelosi is suffering from a mental illness.

I did not know that Obamacare was just a black piece of legislation. Unlike the current occupant of the WH, Romney was completely honest and is being vilified by those who think politicians should lie to people. Obamacare is no better for blacks then it is for whites I don't see why it is polarizing. Bravo to Romney for going into the enemy camp and not shirking from his platform. BTW when is Obama going speak to the NAACP? Or more to the point the NRA?

Forum List

Back