Smart Democrats Should Be Worried

Does anyone actually think Ryan can appeal to a broad range of people of all kinds from all around the country? That's what they needed to win, not some guy that is guaranteed to run on lousy wedge issues and the ever present claim that the poor and the elderly must be dumped to pay for further tax cuts for the wealthy.

Smart Democrats Should Be Worried - By John Fund - The Corner - National Review Online

Are there smart democrats ? Just asking.

There are five reasons. I'll post them one at a time.

Liberal pundits are already fanning out in force to attack and discredit Paul Ryan. Michael Tomasky, who recently wrote a Newsweek cover story calling Mitt Romney a “wimp,” has now decided that Romney’s bold move is “a terrible choice” because Ryan has proven himself to be an extremist on budget issues.

No doubt there are many Democrats rubbing their hands in glee in contemplation of reviving some version of the ad that featured an actor playing Paul Ryan pushing a grandmother in a wheelchair off a cliff. But the smarter ones are worried.

First, if Ryan is an extremist and his proposals are so unpopular, how has he won election seven times in a Democratic district? His lowest share of the vote was 57 percent — in his first race. He routinely wins over two-thirds of the vote. When Obama swept the nation in 2008, he carried Ryan’s district by four points. But at the same time, Ryan won reelection with 65 percent of the vote, meaning that a fifth of Obama voters also voted for him.

Ryan has pointed out to me that no Republican has carried his district for president since Ronald Reagan in 1984. “I have held hundreds of town-hall meetings in my district explaining why we have to take bold reform steps, and I’ve found treating people like adults works,” he told me. “All those ads pushing elderly woman off the cliffs don’t work anymore if you lay out the problem.”

We should all be worried. If Romney and Ryan ever win it will be a disaster for the working man. It truly amazes me that you folks on the right are so brainwashed.

Ironic, although liberals see you people as brainwashed, the plutocrats you worship see you as contemptible, and fodder.

PeasantsForPlutocrats.jpg

"To unequal privileges among members of the same society the spirit of our nation is, with one accord, adverse." --Thomas Jefferson to Hugh White, 1801. ME 10:258

middle class people don't like reagan. that is republicans. reagan was pretty much a joke to the middle class. remember, alex P keaton, the ron headroom jokes from back to the future 2, and the 8 billion jokes spawned by ronnie ray gun? Seriously, david hasselhoff had more to do with reagans supposed accomplishment than he did.

You are have overdosed on stupid pills.

Please tell me how many states Reagan won in 1984. Then tell me if you thin Obama will do that in 2012.

I'll be waiting.

If you are not worried, then you just do not understand our Elections.

They Turn on Independents, Independents are overwhelmingly Fiscal Conservatives. Ryan will be appealing to them.

It's still anybody's Race to win, But Ryan is clearly going to Help Romney with Independents. If you can't admit that to yourself then you are either Scared, or just to blinded by your Partisan Hackery to see it.

I pick option b.

Ryan's voting record shows clearly that he is NOT a fiscal conservative.

The only "independents" that Ryan will attract are those who are IINO's ie embaressed republicans hiding behind the independent label.

Keep spinning that one up. It's what you do.

No spinning required it is truth.
His voting record proves it.

And the guy voted to make the partiot act permanent.

Despite your claims no one is really worried about the choice of ryan as VP.

However, you seem to be trying to tell yourself you might win now. It seems you spend a lot of time trying to convince yourself the reps will not lose. how did that work for you last presidential election?

If you are not worried, then you just do not understand our Elections.

They Turn on Independents, Independents are overwhelmingly Fiscal Conservatives. Ryan will be appealing to them.

It's still anybody's Race to win, But Ryan is clearly going to Help Romney with Independents. If you can't admit that to yourself then you are either Scared, or just to blinded by your Partisan Hackery to see it.

I pick option b.
yaha, another republican tool who wants us all to fear the Romney. I may think obama s superior, but I am not afraid of Romney. he is the same old thing we have every election, and the US is still here. Really, why are you guys so afraid of a man who made things better in 4 years? even in the Bush depression our quality of life was better than the great depression.

I do understand one reason. you have to brag now. After last election you realized Obama is pretty good at winning, and you had better get iot in while you can because mittens is not even close to a victory. Even most republicans knew mittens was a throw away choice during the primaries. That is why all you had was a bunch of losers because anyone with a chance is waiting for next election.

Is it making you feel better to pretend he is winning despite the fact at best he is pulling up to even? Is this really working for you? I guess if it is then enjoy because in 3 months you will probably be telling us you are moving, though we know you never will.

We should all be worried. If Romney and Ryan ever win it will be a disaster for the working man. It truly amazes me that you folks on the right are so brainwashed.

Ironic, although liberals see you people as brainwashed, the plutocrats you worship see you as contemptible, and fodder.

You should be worried your government goodies will dry up.

You love to use that term since no one jumps on board the Bulls**t Express and rides with you to the land of stupid.

Liberals don't see anything except the ass of the liberal in front of them as the pied piper of Chicago leads them over the cliff.

Please tell me why the dems got their asses waxed in 2010 when they were supposed to have congress for at least 10 years. I'll be waiting.

middle class people don't like reagan. that is republicans. reagan was pretty much a joke to the middle class. remember, alex P keaton, the ron headroom jokes from back to the future 2, and the 8 billion jokes spawned by ronnie ray gun? Seriously, david hasselhoff had more to do with reagans supposed accomplishment than he did.

Please tell me how many states Reagan won in 1984. Then tell me if you thin Obama will do that in 2012.

I'll be waiting.

Easy, she's busy wiki-ing a good reason for her conversion for me...this should be good. :)

However, you seem to be trying to tell yourself you might win now. It seems you spend a lot of time trying to convince yourself the reps will not lose. how did that work for you last presidential election?

Obama woke up this morning, read the news, and thought of this scene.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkm1i2o6Ri8]I'm your Huckleberry - YouTube[/ame]

I'll be waiting.

obama is not running against reagan. The republicans keep trying to claim mittens and now ryan are reagan, but no one really liked reagan, democrats just sucked back then.

Does anyone actually think Ryan can appeal to a broad range of people of all kinds from all around the country? That's what they needed to win, not some guy that is guaranteed to run on lousy wedge issues and the ever present claim that the poor and the elderly must be dumped to pay for further tax cuts for the wealthy.

People keep saying the election will be about the economy.

Obama can't run on that....he's dead.

Romney needs a good spokesman who's gonna pound Obama with facts and pull people away from Obama's horses**t campaign.

Romney was keeping it close. He just needs Ryan to seal the deal.

Ryan could blow up in his face. We will see.

What gets me is how any of you think Joe Biden can hold a candle to Ryan. Biden is relic of the Kennedy years and a disgrace.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkm1i2o6Ri8]I'm your Huckleberry - YouTube[/ame]
Are you trying to tell us that obama is a sadistic gunslinger from the old west who killed people for fun? It is more like obama woke up this morniong and saw Ryan as the VP pick and started celebrating his victory.

Smart Democrats Should Be Worried - By John Fund - The Corner - National Review Online

Liberal pundits are already fanning out in force to attack and discredit Paul Ryan. Michael Tomasky, who recently wrote a Newsweek cover story calling Mitt Romney a “wimp,” has now decided that Romney’s bold move is “a terrible choice” because Ryan has proven himself to be an extremist on budget issues.

No doubt there are many Democrats rubbing their hands in glee in contemplation of reviving some version of the ad that featured an actor playing Paul Ryan pushing a grandmother in a wheelchair off a cliff. But the smarter ones are worried.

First, if Ryan is an extremist and his proposals are so unpopular, how has he won election seven times in a Democratic district? His lowest share of the vote was 57 percent — in his first race. He routinely wins over two-thirds of the vote. When Obama swept the nation in 2008, he carried Ryan’s district by four points. But at the same time, Ryan won reelection with 65 percent of the vote, meaning that a fifth of Obama voters also voted for him.

Ryan has pointed out to me that no Republican has carried his district for president since Ronald Reagan in 1984. “I have held hundreds of town-hall meetings in my district explaining why we have to take bold reform steps, and I’ve found treating people like adults works,” he told me. “All those ads pushing elderly woman off the cliffs don’t work anymore if you lay out the problem.”

I would be worried if there were adults voting for a ticket based on the vice president.
I'm not worried at all. The Governor is more than enough to sink the ticket.

I'll be waiting.

obama is not running against reagan. The republicans keep trying to claim mittens and now ryan are reagan, but no one really liked reagan, democrats just sucked back then.

You have way overdosed on stupid pills.

You didn't answer my question. So I'll tell you. He hardly ran a campaign. You could go days without seeing him on TV and he kicked Mondale's ass. How that translates to nobody liked him is hysterical.

I'd love to hear how your pills helped you come up with that one.

I'll be waiting.

Nobody liked Reagan? That would explain how he won TWO terms in office right?:lol:

I'll be waiting.

No one liked Reagan so much that he soundly won a race not unlike the one we're currently watching unfold in regard to the margins.
Then Reagan cut taxes so deep that even conservative pundits and Wall Street moguls were freaking out and ready to send him packing.
The only thing is, after two years his policies had proven to be such an economic success that his second term was almost a given.

Seems to me Democrats are so afraid of a rerun of '80 that THEY are in fact the ones conjuring up Reagan just to tear him down.
I have a hard time finding Romney on record EVER comparing himself to Reagan and I'm not hearing much along those lines from pundits either.

Last edited:

Are you trying to tell us that obama is a sadistic gunslinger from the old west who killed people for fun? It is more like obama woke up this morniong and saw Ryan as the VP pick and started celebrating his victory.

Does that mean the asshole-in-charge will now start addressing his pathetic handling of the economy ? Or are we still going to have listen to Fluke(off) ?

From the article:

Second, Democrats know that Ryan has Reaganesque qualities that make him appealing to independent, middle-class voters. Take the cover story on Ryan that the Isthmus, a radically left-wing Madison, Wis. newspaper, ran on him in 2009. “Ryan, with his sunny disposition and choirboy looks, projects compassion and forcefully proclaims dedication to his district,” the story reported. “And he’s proved he is not unyieldingly pro-corporate, as when he recently joined in condemnation of AIG ‘retention’ bonuses.”

Third, Ryan’s ideas aren’t that novel or scary. The idea of “premium support” for Medicare, which would change the program’s one-size-fits-all policy to a private-insurance model with public options, was endorsed by a bipartisan commission appointed by Bill Clinton back in the 1990s. Late last year, Ryan announced a new version of his proposal with a new partner signing on: Democratic senator Ron Wyden of Oregon, who first achieved political prominence as an advocate for seniors.

Wow, Ryan gets the nod on some things from a left wing rag because he isn't a purist and he works with the other side as evidenced by Wyden's intially signing on.

Like I said...the article is somewhat moot.

There are no smart democrats (on this board anyway).

All you are doing is patting your own back by spewing an opinion piece from a radical right wing propaganda outlet.

That is what you do all the time. Pat yourself on the back for "owning righties" by posting and Repeating some Opinion Piece from a Left wing Propaganda Outlet.

I pat myself on the back for "owning righties" by showing the truth to their lies they believe :D

And to add how is it that Reagan is on such a pedestal now for the republican base. The guy was a disaster as a California Governor and a worse president.
I once took a trip into the California redwoods which Reagan ordered thousands of trees to be cut down. Only to have his plaque up in the bald acres like a statue for his love of the redwoods..
Scratches Head...
Romney made a bold move, and Ryan is a smart guy but I am not worried people are really studying what is going on and can see right through all the bells and whistles the republicans are doing right now.

Last edited:
I do understand one reason. you have to brag now. After last election you realized Obama is pretty good at winning, and you had better get iot in while you can because mittens is not even close to a victory. Even most republicans knew mittens was a throw away choice during the primaries. That is why all you had was a bunch of losers because anyone with a chance is waiting for next election.

Is it making you feel better to pretend he is winning despite the fact at best he is pulling up to even? Is this really working for you? I guess if it is then enjoy because in 3 months you will probably be telling us you are moving, though we know you never will.

What election was that...2010.

Obama won big in that one...didn't he ?

Forum List

Back