Smart Democrats Should Be Worried

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
Smart Democrats Should Be Worried - By John Fund - The Corner - National Review Online

Are there smart democrats ? Just asking.

There are five reasons. I'll post them one at a time.

Liberal pundits are already fanning out in force to attack and discredit Paul Ryan. Michael Tomasky, who recently wrote a Newsweek cover story calling Mitt Romney a “wimp,” has now decided that Romney’s bold move is “a terrible choice” because Ryan has proven himself to be an extremist on budget issues.

No doubt there are many Democrats rubbing their hands in glee in contemplation of reviving some version of the ad that featured an actor playing Paul Ryan pushing a grandmother in a wheelchair off a cliff. But the smarter ones are worried.

First, if Ryan is an extremist and his proposals are so unpopular, how has he won election seven times in a Democratic district? His lowest share of the vote was 57 percent — in his first race. He routinely wins over two-thirds of the vote. When Obama swept the nation in 2008, he carried Ryan’s district by four points. But at the same time, Ryan won reelection with 65 percent of the vote, meaning that a fifth of Obama voters also voted for him.

Ryan has pointed out to me that no Republican has carried his district for president since Ronald Reagan in 1984. “I have held hundreds of town-hall meetings in my district explaining why we have to take bold reform steps, and I’ve found treating people like adults works,” he told me. “All those ads pushing elderly woman off the cliffs don’t work anymore if you lay out the problem.”

Despite your claims no one is really worried about the choice of ryan as VP.

However, you seem to be trying to tell yourself you might win now. It seems you spend a lot of time trying to convince yourself the reps will not lose. how did that work for you last presidential election?

However, you seem to be trying to tell yourself you might win now. It seems you spend a lot of time trying to convince yourself the reps will not lose. how did that work for you last presidential election?

I love your whining about refutation...when you have no idea what you are talking about.

This is John Fund's take on things and I am not convincing myself of anything.

What has the last presidential election got to do with it.

I can tell you that an additional 5 trillion in debt ain't working out so well for anyone.

Smart Democrats Should Be Worried - By John Fund - The Corner - National Review Online

Are there smart democrats ? Just asking.

There are five reasons. I'll post them one at a time.

Liberal pundits are already fanning out in force to attack and discredit Paul Ryan. Michael Tomasky, who recently wrote a Newsweek cover story calling Mitt Romney a “wimp,” has now decided that Romney’s bold move is “a terrible choice” because Ryan has proven himself to be an extremist on budget issues.

No doubt there are many Democrats rubbing their hands in glee in contemplation of reviving some version of the ad that featured an actor playing Paul Ryan pushing a grandmother in a wheelchair off a cliff. But the smarter ones are worried.

First, if Ryan is an extremist and his proposals are so unpopular, how has he won election seven times in a Democratic district? His lowest share of the vote was 57 percent — in his first race. He routinely wins over two-thirds of the vote. When Obama swept the nation in 2008, he carried Ryan’s district by four points. But at the same time, Ryan won reelection with 65 percent of the vote, meaning that a fifth of Obama voters also voted for him.

Ryan has pointed out to me that no Republican has carried his district for president since Ronald Reagan in 1984. “I have held hundreds of town-hall meetings in my district explaining why we have to take bold reform steps, and I’ve found treating people like adults works,” he told me. “All those ads pushing elderly woman off the cliffs don’t work anymore if you lay out the problem.”

No one has to discredit Paul, he does a great job al by himself. His plan to turn Medicare into a voucher program, cut medicaid, welfare, food stamps, raise the age of social security, cut education, cut government programs such as Head Start, cut unemplyment insurance payments, give more tax cut to the rich with the savings from these cuts. Paul/Romney plan designed to hurt the little man, elderly, children, poor, disabled and students to reward the fat cat's tax cuts. Paul speaks loud and clear for himslelf. Paul just another businessman that thinks he can do what is best for mainstreet america.

From the article:

Second, Democrats know that Ryan has Reaganesque qualities that make him appealing to independent, middle-class voters. Take the cover story on Ryan that the Isthmus, a radically left-wing Madison, Wis. newspaper, ran on him in 2009. “Ryan, with his sunny disposition and choirboy looks, projects compassion and forcefully proclaims dedication to his district,” the story reported. “And he’s proved he is not unyieldingly pro-corporate, as when he recently joined in condemnation of AIG ‘retention’ bonuses.”

Third, Ryan’s ideas aren’t that novel or scary. The idea of “premium support” for Medicare, which would change the program’s one-size-fits-all policy to a private-insurance model with public options, was endorsed by a bipartisan commission appointed by Bill Clinton back in the 1990s. Late last year, Ryan announced a new version of his proposal with a new partner signing on: Democratic senator Ron Wyden of Oregon, who first achieved political prominence as an advocate for seniors.

Wow, Ryan gets the nod on some things from a left wing rag because he isn't a purist and he works with the other side as evidenced by Wyden's intially signing on.

Like I said...the article is somewhat moot.

There are no smart democrats (on this board anyway).

Performance arts?

Lol stripper

I love your whining about refutation...when you have no idea what you are talking about.

No one is worrying about him any more thasn your normal presidential debate. I know you wish they were, but that is just you trying to tell yourself your team is not losing. It is really desperate.
This is John Fund's take on things and I am not convincing myself of anything.

yes, it is a site you read because it tells you what you want to hear. It is called entertainment and not fact. It is pretty much the entire purpose of the news industry today. I understand your desire to be winning. Another 4 years of obama scares the shit out of you, and then you smear it all over this site. We all know how much you fear him. To you he is the most powerful; man in the universe able to destroy america with one word, and more powerful than england, germany, russia, and japan combined.

On the other hand I have confidence in america. It is something i learned during the clinton and bush years. We have dips and dives, but tomorrow we will be here. You are a pretty scared little puppy, and someone needs to get you a blanket and a cuddle before you piddle on the floor again.

It has been 4 years and you are still pitching a hissy fit over Obama. Get over it already. The world did not end, and america is getting better. he did not kill us all like you people claimed, and 4 more years is not going to kill us either. But it makes a great advertising thing for the right. Scared people tend to tune in.
I can tell you that an additional 5 trillion in debt ain't working out so well for anyone.

yes yes, the world is going to end. the repo men are coming for all of our shit. We are all going to die. Doesn't the chicken little thing get a little old when the world doesn't end? I guess not since the christians still make money off the apocalypse and despite the thousands of times theyu have been wrong people still believe it. I guess that puts you in the same group of people who thinks aliens are visiting us, bigfoot exists, elvis is in Kmart, and you can lose 50 pounds in 2 weeks on a completely healthy diet.

From the article:

Second, Democrats know that Ryan has Reaganesque qualities that make him appealing to independent, middle-class voters. Take the cover story on Ryan that the Isthmus, a radically left-wing Madison, Wis. newspaper, ran on him in 2009. “Ryan, with his sunny disposition and choirboy looks, projects compassion and forcefully proclaims dedication to his district,” the story reported. “And he’s proved he is not unyieldingly pro-corporate, as when he recently joined in condemnation of AIG ‘retention’ bonuses.”

Third, Ryan’s ideas aren’t that novel or scary. The idea of “premium support” for Medicare, which would change the program’s one-size-fits-all policy to a private-insurance model with public options, was endorsed by a bipartisan commission appointed by Bill Clinton back in the 1990s. Late last year, Ryan announced a new version of his proposal with a new partner signing on: Democratic senator Ron Wyden of Oregon, who first achieved political prominence as an advocate for seniors.

Wow, Ryan gets the nod on some things from a left wing rag because he isn't a purist and he works with the other side as evidenced by Wyden's intially signing on.

middle class people don't like reagan. that is republicans. reagan was pretty much a joke to the middle class. remember, alex P keaton, the ron headroom jokes from back to the future 2, and the 8 billion jokes spawned by ronnie ray gun? Seriously, david hasselhoff had more to do with reagans supposed accomplishment than he did.

Performance arts?

Lol stripper

oh little troll you have so much to learn from your superiors.

From the article:

All you are doing is patting your own back by spewing an opinion piece from a radical right wing propaganda outlet.

Willard is in deep shit and pulled a Palin-esque desperation type move by going with Ryan.
I can't wait to see the latest polls coming out, im sure they will show independents running to Obama in droves :up:

From the article:

middle class people don't like reagan. that is republicans. reagan was pretty much a joke to the middle class. remember, alex P keaton, the ron headroom jokes from back to the future 2, and the 8 billion jokes spawned by ronnie ray gun? Seriously, david hasselhoff had more to do with reagans supposed accomplishment than he did.

What were you up to during the Reagan years Teet?
Just curious...

If you are not worried, then you just do not understand our Elections.

They Turn on Independents, Independents are overwhelmingly Fiscal Conservatives. Ryan will be appealing to them.

It's still anybody's Race to win, But Ryan is clearly going to Help Romney with Independents. If you can't admit that to yourself then you are either Scared, or just to blinded by your Partisan Hackery to see it.

I pick option b.

From the article:

Just curious...

Voting republican. boy was i fucking stupid back then.

From the article:

All you are doing is patting your own back by spewing an opinion piece from a radical right wing propaganda outlet.

That is what you do all the time. Pat yourself on the back for "owning righties" by posting and Repeating some Opinion Piece from a Left wing Propaganda Outlet.

They Turn on Independents, Independents are overwhelmingly Fiscal Conservatives. Ryan will be appealing to them.

It's still anybody's Race to win, But Ryan is clearly going to Help Romney with Independents. If you can't admit that to yourself then you are either Scared, or just to blinded by your Partisan Hackery to see it.

I pick option b.

Ryan's voting record shows clearly that he is NOT a fiscal conservative.

The only "independents" that Ryan will attract are those who are IINO's ie embaressed republicans hiding behind the independent label.

Last edited:

Just curious...

Voting republican. boy was i fucking stupid back then.

And exactly what was it that forced your conversion?

Performance arts?

Lol stripper

oh little troll you have so much to learn from your superiors.

My bad, I didn't mean to offend strippers.

No one is worrying about him any more thasn your normal presidential debate. I know you wish they were, but that is just you trying to tell yourself your team is not losing. It is really desperate.

Since you are reading the article through your bellybutton, I can understand why you can't line up any kind of logic against the OP.

yes, it is a site you read because it tells you what you want to hear. It is called entertainment and not fact. It is pretty much the entire purpose of the news industry today. I understand your desire to be winning. Another 4 years of obama scares the shit out of you, and then you smear it all over this site. We all know how much you fear him. To you he is the most powerful; man in the universe able to destroy america with one word, and more powerful than england, germany, russia, and japan combined.

Was there a point to this rant. I realize you are bitter because your parents spent a lot of money on your education and basically got gyped. Maybe they should have had you tested first. You constantly try to read people's motives and appear to be wrong about 100% of the time. Why don't you put your crystal ball back in your ass so you'll know to keep your head of out it.
On the other hand I have confidence in america. It is something i learned during the clinton and bush years. We have dips and dives, but tomorrow we will be here. You are a pretty scared little puppy, and someone needs to get you a blanket and a cuddle before you piddle on the floor again.

Yes, you have confidence in America. You are quite confident Obama will keep the goodies flowing to you at the expense of others. It seems to be what we do. After all, small business people didn't really do anything...somebody else (the government) did.

If you need the name of a psychiatrist, I am sure someone who cares about you can get you one.

It has been 4 years and you are still pitching a hissy fit over Obama. Get over it already. The world did not end, and america is getting better. he did not kill us all like you people claimed, and 4 more years is not going to kill us either. But it makes a great advertising thing for the right. Scared people tend to tune in.

Please show me where I claimed anything. I am not at all worried. We'll keep the house and jam up the senate at 50/50. Obama won't get anything done for the next four years and your kids will pay a price, but not as much as they would if he had a complicit congress. I am sure you like the idea of another stimulus as that seems to be your need in life (only it ain't that kind).

If you are so tuned out, why are you on this board ?

yes yes, the world is going to end. the repo men are coming for all of our shit. We are all going to die. Doesn't the chicken little thing get a little old when the world doesn't end? I guess not since the christians still make money off the apocalypse and despite the thousands of times theyu have been wrong people still believe it. I guess that puts you in the same group of people who thinks aliens are visiting us, bigfoot exists, elvis is in Kmart, and you can lose 50 pounds in 2 weeks on a completely healthy diet.

You certainly do like the strawmen. Keep it up. You might make the case for getting your money back from whoever paid to educate you.

I pick option b.

Ryan's voting record shows clearly that he is NOT a fiscal conservative.

The only "independents" that Ryan will attract are those who are IINO's ie embaressed republicans hiding behind the independent label.

Keep spinning that one up. It's what you do.

Forum List

Back