Smart Cat

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I have a large drum shaped coffee table in the living room. I opened a gift Christmas morning and put the gold balls and ribbons in one of the four drawers around this table. The cat saw me do it. This morning he systematically opened all four drawers until he found the ribbons.. I've never seen a cat do that before. Dog yes,, Cat no.

I have a cat who I swear is part dog. He plays fetch.
Keep the kitty away from the ribbon!

possum thinks ya can't trust a cat...

... right when ya think ya know `em...

... an' ya's buddies with `em...

... dey'll smack ya onna nose.
:eusa_shifty:

I have a large drum shaped coffee table in the living room. I opened a gift Christmas morning and put the gold balls and ribbons in one of the four drawers around this table. The cat saw me do it. This morning he systematically opened all four drawers until he found the ribbons.. I've never seen a cat do that before. Dog yes,, Cat no.

I have a new little cat that I think is pretty smart too. Well, she's not so little anymore. She's growing like a weed. She came wandering out of the weeds late one night when we were having a camp fire, half starved, tiny little thing. But she's got a great disposition and she's smart. I have a laser that she chases, but she "anticipates" where I'm going to shine it. I've never seen anything like that before, like she cuts it off... incredible I think. She does other things too that I think are pretty cool for a kitten. I think she may be being coached by the spirit of my twenty year old cat that just passed away earlier last year.

One of my cats preferred drinking water from a glass. That worked until she couldn't fit her head any deeper in the glass. So she started "dipping", putting her paw into the water and licking it off. I watched one of the other cats observing her dipping water. When she was done, he walked right over and did the same thing. He skipped the trial-and-error phase she had gone through.

Oh, I should NOT tell this story because NO ONE is going to believe this is true, because if someone told me it, I wouldn't believe it either.

But I swear on a stack of Bibles it's a true story.

We had a Tom Cat, and mom was home with it most of the day and she kept telling us the cat could talk. I mean not like you and me, but it could say simple one syllable words.

Things like if Mom asked the cat if he wanted to go outside the Cat would say "Myeah."

Well, OF COURSE, I didn't believe this and thought it was just Mom being well, MOM. I would laugh every time she INSISTED she heard the cat talk.

But one day I was opening a can of tuna, and the Cat Meowed and Meowed and MEOWED for that tuna, but I ignored him, because I had no intention of sharing the tuna with the cat.

Then while my back was turned and the cat's meows became more insistent suddenly I CLEARLY heard the Cat yell my name. CLEARLY heard the cat yell my name.

I spun around in shock and disbelief. The Cat just looked at me. The only other person in the house was my sister. I went downstairs and asked her if she called me, HOPING that was the case.

She didn't. I went back upstairs. Looked around the house for anyone else who could have called me. Then I went back in the kitchen looked at the cat again, in shock and disbelief and the cat looked at me and said, "Meow!" in the EXACT tone that conveyed, "Yeah it was me, dummy!"

And so I gave the cat that can of tuna.

And after that, I stopped laughing at Mom when she said the cat could talk.

Oh, I know I shouldn't tell this story, but I SWEAR it's true!

I have a new little cat that I think is pretty smart too. Well, she's not so little anymore. She's growing like a weed. She came wandering out of the weeds late one night when we were having a camp fire, half starved, tiny little thing. But she's got a great disposition and she's smart. I have a laser that she chases, but she "anticipates" where I'm going to shine it. I've never seen anything like that before, like she cuts it off... incredible I think. She does other things too that I think are pretty cool for a kitten. I think she may be being coached by the spirit of my twenty year old cat that just passed away earlier last year.
For some reason I can't send you a private message so I'll ask publicly: Is Wisconsin Cherokees an archery club? The reason I ask is Brooklyn Cherokees is an archery club.

possum thinks ya can't trust a cat...

... right when ya think ya know `em...

... an' ya's buddies with `em...

... dey'll smack ya onna nose.
:eusa_shifty:

LOL. Or bite you. Ever been petting a cat and they're just purring away and everything's cool. Until they get tired of being petted and haul off and bite your hand? LOL

They do it to each other, too. I've watched one of my cats go up and start licking another cat. All affectionate-like. Then all of a sudden lunge and bite them on the ear. ROFL

Oh, I should NOT tell this story because NO ONE is going to believe this is true, because if someone told me it, I wouldn't believe it either.

But I swear on a stack of Bibles it's a true story.

We had a Tom Cat, and mom was home with it most of the day and she kept telling us the cat could talk. I mean not like you and me, but it could say simple one syllable words.

Things like if Mom asked the cat if he wanted to go outside the Cat would say "Myeah."

Well, OF COURSE, I didn't believe this and thought it was just Mom being well, MOM. I would laugh every time she INSISTED she heard the cat talk.

But one day I was opening a can of tuna, and the Cat Meowed and Meowed and MEOWED for that tuna, but I ignored him, because I had no intention of sharing the tuna with the cat.

Then while my back was turned and the cat's meows became more insistent suddenly I CLEARLY heard the Cat yell my name. CLEARLY heard the cat yell my name.

I spun around in shock and disbelief. The Cat just looked at me. The only other person in the house was my sister. I went downstairs and asked her if she called me, HOPING that was the case.

She didn't. I went back upstairs. Looked around the house for anyone else who could have called me. Then I went back in the kitchen looked at the cat again, in shock and disbelief and the cat looked at me and said, "Meow!" in the EXACT tone that conveyed, "Yeah it was me, dummy!"

And so I gave the cat that can of tuna.

And after that, I stopped laughing at Mom when she said the cat could talk.

Oh, I know I shouldn't tell this story, but I SWEAR it's true!

That's pretty freaky. Not to divulge your real name, but is it something like Howie or Paul that sounds kind of like a cat's meow? I don't disbelieve you, just trying to find some explanation.

One of my cats preferred drinking water from a glass. That worked until she couldn't fit her head any deeper in the glass. So she started "dipping", putting her paw into the water and licking it off. I watched one of the other cats observing her dipping water. When she was done, he walked right over and did the same thing. He skipped the trial-and-error phase she had gone through.

Wow, that demonstrates real intelligence. And people say animals can't think! Yeah, right.

One of my dobies would want the toy or chew the other one had. So she'd go look out the window and bark as if something were going on outside. The dobie with the toy would drop it and run to the window to check it out and the tricky one would run over and grab the discarded toy. : ) She doesn't use that ploy anymore because it no longer works. The other dog caught on.

I always use that story as an example when people try to say animals can't think.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back