Smaller Govt: Means fewer "sombodies" to "do something" about "it"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bucs90, Nov 1, 2012.

1. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Just so everyone realizes: Smaller govt means less "somebodies" to do "something" about _________(FIll in blank with latest gripe).

How many times do we hear it, all the time. People bitch and whine about something. And they say "Sombody" (who?) needs to do "something" (what?) about (fill in gripe about society).

Whether it's crime, traffic, bad schools, bad roads, mosquitoes, floods, fires, etc, etc, etc, etc, there is always a gripe about somebody needing to do something about something.

Well....."somebody" is usually gonna end up being the cops, fire dept, court, dept of transport, or some other agency we the people pay a collective tax to be the "somebodies" who "do something" when we gripe. Its kinda why we "united".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Wow...Where'd you score all that straw? :lol:

3. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,766
    I'd have to say that is demonstrably untrue. In fact, very few of our problems are solved in this way. Even with the overreaching government we are currently saddled with, the vast majority of the challenges we face on a daily basis are resolved through voluntary cooperation and individual effort.

Obviously, we need government to make this possible - to maintain a civil society that makes it possible to work together with a degree of confidence and trust. But we don't need, or want, government solving all our problems. This is something I'm not sure a lot of people think much about these days. Not many people ever ask themselves: Why do we need a government? What do we want it to do?

4. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,261
    Did anyone know that the problems most people face are handled (or should be) at a local level. Like cops and fire....they come from state funds, paid by citizens of that state. Teachers are paid by property taxes.

When people say, "Someone should do something about that", they are NOT talking about a bureaucrat in a far off city.

5. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,261
    It was amusing to see news anchors on the left wing news stations astonished that people in New Jersey and other places were getting out in the streets and clearing debris from sewer grates and help other people....They were just flabbergasted at the notion of others helping others in the local community..

but...but...but...what about D.C.???????!!

6. buckeye45_73

buckeye45_73 Lakhota's my *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,966
    sorry bucs...people can do things on their own...and they have to in NYC at this time......Less governmet means more practice and we'll be better at it......oh and that bonus of much more freedom and liberty

7. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    I never mentioned DC. THe "somebodies" who "do something" are indeed mostly at the local level. Cops, firemen, teachers, road workers, etc. I dont recall seeing Wal-Mart send it's workers out with supplies to repair a road, or put out a fire, or catch a rapist.

And I must have missed the groups of private citizens banding together to solve the city's problems for no pay on a volunteer level. They are usually calling 911 demanding "someone do something" about whatever their gripe is.

8. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,261
    YOu sure don't look very hard then. Go into any walmart and you will see the amount that single store has committed to the community in which they do business.

You should watch more reporting on disasters. I always see local people getting out there and starting the rebuilding process, often rescuing each other when they have the means...

You live in a very scary world, where we all must wait for a government service to come save us.

9. buckeye45_73

buckeye45_73 Lakhota's my *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,966
    well warmart isnt able to do that, but if you want to privatize police and fire....I'm game

10. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Im not talking disasters. Those are incredibly chaotic times when society nearly falls apart.

I mean daily, normal life. When commuters call 911 to bitch about potholes. Home Depot aint coming to pave it. When they bitch about thugs in the street, or the shitty schools in the area. About the ugly weeds growing in the medians of the highway. Of the swarms of mosquitoes (yep, counties do mosquitoe maintenance). About flooding during rainstorms.

You'd be shocked how many people literally call 911 demanding "someone" do "something" about whatever. Our society is lazy. As a whole, our people want others to do work for them.