Small Government Conservatives

Bigdaddygtr, you pretty much nailed them but the so-called conservative audience on USMB leans more towards libertarianism even when they put in power people who would take away their rights. I'm often amazed that they lump all liberals together but fail to look at their party's ideological consequences. After Bush small government is comic.

The Conservative Nanny State

I think Obama is proof all democrates should not be lumped together. Based on some of what he's said, I'm not sure he is going to be liberal enough for some of you.

Could you give an example?

He just did.

How about the fact that Bush, with the help of the telecoms, spied on millions of Americans.

How about the terror watch list now has over 1 million people's names on it.

How about the government grew exponentially under Bush's rule.

I think Obama is proof all democrates should not be lumped together. Based on some of what he's said, I'm not sure he is going to be liberal enough for some of you.

We fucking told you he wasn't "the most liberal senator in the senate".

Just like we told you Bill Clinton wasn't "the most liberal governor in America" when he ran.

Republicans are just flat out liars. Luckily people aren't buying their bullshit lies anymore. It is about time.

So I hope they continue to go negative. They refuse to change. I LOVE IT!

Just like we told you Bill Clinton wasn't "the most liberal governor in America" when he ran.

Republicans are just flat out liars. Luckily people aren't buying their bullshit lies anymore. It is about time.

what a fucking joke

:lol:
bobo, you are one of the biggest fucking morons on the forum
Obama was voting liberal more than almost every other senator in the senate

what a fucking joke

:lol:
bobo, you are one of the biggest fucking morons on the forum
Obama was voting liberal more than almost every other senator in the senate

That's what people like you say. But you nothing but a butt fucker. :lol:

I fail to see how you can call anyone a lair?

Obama's voting records both on the Federal and State levels are public, I have reviewed them several times and the claim that his voting record is very liberal, is very factual. You judge a person on their actual performance, not mere words. Well, you should if your interested in substance and facts.

Anyway, since you took the step to call others here lairs, could you please provide the voting records which state something other than a overall strong liberal stance?

I welcome learning and of course if you can't, then I also welcome apologies.

It's simple, either your right or your wrong and the proof is on the net.

I'll be waiting.

Last edited:
Voting against Republican legislation consistently doesn't necessarily make one a liberal. It most likely means that the legislation was bad. A conservative would vote against most of it, too.

I fail to see how you can call anyone a lair?

Obama's voting records both on the Federal and State levels are public, I have reviewed them several times and the claim that his voting record is very liberal, is very factual. You judge a person on their actual performance, not mere words. Well, you should if your interested in substance and facts.

Anyway, since you took the step to call others here lairs, could you please provide the voting records which state something other than a overall strong liberal stance?

I welcome learning and of course if you can't, then I also welcome apologies.

It's simple, either your right or your wrong and the proof is on the net.

I'll be waiting.
don't hold your breath
;)

Voting against Republican legislation consistently doesn't necessarily make one a liberal. It most likely means that the legislation was bad. A conservative would vote against most of it, too.

I never claimed it did and I stand by my words. But then I have read it all and not just bill titles. There is no spin here, this is straight forward. Sorry.

But we are programmed to think a certain way, vote a certain way, date a certain way, eat a certain way, believe a certain way, react a certain way, elect a certain way, marry a certain way, toss stones a certain way. It's either "my way or the highway." Your way or no way. Stay out of my way. Get in my way. Now you wonder why our society has turned into decay.

liberals think neocons are extreme right
they dont have a clue what conservatives REALLY believe

of course if necons are extreme right, conservatives must be the wacko super extreme right

more a case of them not even begining to understand conservatism

i think its funny how a conservative can pretend to be a lib on a forum, but a lib pretending to be a conservative is easy to spot

;)

I don't follow what you are saying.

I do feel like it is harder and harder to understand your point of view, as it seems important for you to pigeonhole my beliefs. And bizarrely you keep getting them wrong.

I have never pretended to be anything other than what I am dear one. I am a mother who has buried a child. I therefore think that war is a horrendous prospect. I am against abortion. I am against government interference in my life. I am against infractions on my privacy.

I am for anything that promotes conserving the environment, in order to take my family's two deer a year, and therefore keeping the environment healthy enough to sustain decent hunting and fishing.

Why you consider me a liberal is beyond me. I must have the language wrong. It must matter less what I believe and how I live, and more how I say it.

That's messed up, but it's ok, it's not as bad as losing a child. Say whatever you like about me, I will still value you as one of my countrymen.

(edit) For the first time since I've been here, on another thread, I see others claiming centrist tendencies, and I thought I was the only one who made a stink about it. So maybe you weren't referring to me, above, and if not I apologize profusely for taking offense. :) )

Last edited:
I'm sorry I don't know what you're referencing, what exactly are you asking?

Well, Kevin, the definitions keep changing. Everyone throws conservative around as though it means something, but it means a different thing to each group. Hell I bet even the republicans on this board would have eight different definitions of it. Social conservative, that should go with religious. Neo, that should go with Wolfowitz etc. Fiscal, that should go with McCain. "True conservative" seems to be the label that each and everyone of them wants.

Conservative comes from the base conserve. I was thinking about this today, about how even scientists could be called conservative, because they have to reproduce and document and make such incremental progress, everything they publish is a conservative statement. They never go out on a limb, any particular paper or other is only like 0.1% more of a contribution than the paper before it. And they are damn careful to be sure of their work before they publish. That sounds conservative.

But scientists are not considered conservative. Mostly because they are liberal in their social beliefs, I think, which gets back to social being the cultural basis for conservative.

I have been thinking about small government and the Bush years of outsourcing work to contractors - This is supposed to "shrink" government but you know, it doesn't. Because now we can't even audit what happened to those tax dollars that were given to the private sector to do works so that the government could be "smaller."

So now, 'small government' is getting to be just as woolly of a concept as 'conservative.' At least to me, in general day to day discussions. Some people think it means less taxes, others think it means fewer congressmen etc, others think it means fewer regulations.

So when I say "they are the real conservatives because they want small government, right?" and you say you don't understand, what I am getting at is, are we associating one group of the conservatives (the "real" conservatives) with one of the 'small government' ideologies - and I had hoped to kinda figure out which ideology.

I think it will be hard to rebuild the party without a good grasp of what aspect of government should be small (no trouncing liberties, please) or without what type of conservative is the 'real' conservative. Seems like those things have to be spelled out, and a consensus reached. I am hoping that happens, because the party has totally imploded as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Preemptive war, nation building, policing the world, bailing out failed businesses, completely out of control spending are all big government policies.

Preemptive war is left? I thought the far left were the ones that ran to canada, ie draft dodgers? Also thought the far left was not at all interested in policing the world, but in singing kumbaya?

Hell's bells, maybe we have *all* been hoodwinked by evil aliens from alpha centauri.

As long as you guys keep thinking in terms of left/right; conservative/liberal; Democrat V Republican you are going to be tools to the insiders.

Seriously neither party is ANYTHING philosophically.

Those parties are run by insider pragmatists who decide issue ad hoc based on what they need, and what they think they can sell an unimformed public

And their primary mission is to keep things essantially as they are...sweet for them and theirs with us paying the bills.

They do this by keep Americans constantly looking for scapegoats, and constant at each others' throats over issues which the insiders could care less about...abortion, guns, queers, reparations and other nonsensical blather that so many Americans are obsessed about.

Forum List

Back