small farmers forced to relinquish farm land to foreign investment firms

voice4HR

Rookie
Jun 13, 2011
In many countries throughout Africa many small farmers have been forced to surrender their traditional farm land to large foreign investors, with no promise of compensation.

Impoverished Farmers Forced to Surrender Land to Large Investment “Land Grabbers” « voice for human rights

European and U.S. agribusinesses are the primary buyers of hundreds of thousands of hectares for future biofuel development.

The “land grabs” are also supported by China, Libya and other Mideast and Asian investors seeking to secure food resources and farming for their growing populations.

Reports say investors are being promised cheap land with no questions asked while the hedge fund buyers are searching for ways to displace traditional farms (that have no clear formal ownership) for small fees and promises of employment.

Last edited:
If I am in my homeland and on my property and some entities demand I sell my land (probably my livelihood), I will decline. If entities attempt to force me into selling my livelihood, then this will be just cause for a jihad!

One should never sell livelihood, except for guaranteed payments plus royalties. There is nothing like having your own home or property.

Forum List

Back