Small Businesses Say Weak Customer Demand, Not Regulations, taxes, the Problem

R

rdean

Poll: Small Businesses Say Weak Customer Demand, Not Regulations, Their Problem

Reducing regulation came in fifth place. In fact, most small business owners see government standards as an important tool to level the playing field with big business.

Small Business Majority - Solving Small Businesses Biggest Problems

I can honestly say that government never got in the way of my business, nor did it directly intervene to make us successful. It simply contributed to the conditions that allowed us to succeed, and when we did, it collected more taxes.

Going back to 2007, we've repeatedy looked for evidence of job migration because of taxes and dug into claims about the superiority of other states as business havens. While we won't deny that businesses occasionally relocate or expand in other states, we've found no credible study that shows taxes and regulation are a significant factor in hampering Minnesota's economic growth.

Small businesses aren't built alone

McClatchy reached out to owners of small businesses, many of them mom-and-pop operations, to find out whether they indeed were being choked by regulation, whether uncertainty over taxes affected their hiring plans and whether the health care overhaul was helping or hurting their business.

Their response was surprising.

None of the business owners complained about regulation in their particular industries, and most seemed to welcome it. Some pointed to the lack of regulation in mortgage lending as a principal cause of the financial crisis that brought about the Great Recession of 2007-09 and its grim aftermath.

Regulations, taxes aren't killing small business, owners say | McClatchy

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyone with a search engine could go on endlessly. This only proves Romney and other Republican Business masterminds are fucking clueless. That, or they are outright lying to a base that is being mindlessly misled.

I didn't cherry pick these stories. They all say pretty much the same thing. Small business is threatened by what Republicans are doing for big business. And small business needs customers. Rebuilding the nations infrastructure is one way to get money into the pockets of the middle class. Republicans will make sure that NEVER happens. Even you right wingers have to admit it.

I was not logged into the site so I didn't notice it was Rtard's thread I was reading until I saw the name. I thought... This thread is absolutely fucking stupid, who wrote... OOOooooooooo, Rtard.

Ok, so Rtard, why would a business say that High taxes or regulations are the problem when the economy is in the shitter despite Obama's "saving the world policies?"

Not only did you use a rocket launcher when shooting yourself in the foot by proving that the economy is shit under Obama but then you try and make a point that it’s not “high taxes” as if taxes has been raised by the great leader who has only cut taxes (tax credits actually) for lots of people and the millionares and billionaires… Obama only talks about raising taxes, be he also brags about cutting taxes in the stimulus, he also was forced by X-President Bush’s hand to extend the Bush era tax cuts… So why would anyone complain about taxes as of today?

See the issue is that you’re a fucking walking talking point Rtard. You can’t claim you want taxes raised then vote for a guy that only cuts taxes. You can’t complain about the economy being shit then vote for the guy makes the economy so bad that business’s #1 complaint is there is no demand because people have far less money and in many cases no fucking job, a lessor job and or just way less pay…

We get it, Obama lies and tells people he wants to raise taxes while cutting them. We get it that you fall for that line of shit. But take a hint, you’re a fucking joke on these boards because you lack the ability to think before you post.

And for the record, just because there is a 1 in ten thousand chance that you see a cop-out counter attack by claiming I proved that cutting taxes does not save the economy. You have to cut bad regulations, you have to have a balanced budget and then if possible you cut taxes. You don’t create historic amounts of uncertainty by cutting taxes (again, tax credits), adding massive (like 40k pages a tear) of new regulations and then spend like your FDR in the great depression and drown the country in a deficit all the while yelling how you’re going to massively raise taxes. No one knows what the fuck is going on and that’s why Government needs to get out of the way.

Last edited:
Of course, weak customer demand is most businesses biggest concern. Rdean, you're a shithead for pretending that anyone thinks otherwise.

Naturally, the cost of labor is #2. Then regulation. Then taxes.

Overall, the survey very much shows that businessmen think government is more a problem than a help. And, no one surveyed said they want more regulation (the Survey is rigged, and doesn't offer that option, knowing no one would support it).

I just skimmed the OP.
Yes, consumer spending is weak. After 30 years of flat wage growth for the working class, they have just run out of money and credit. They have been seeing less and less expendable income, thus the weak demand.
Around 70% of the US economy is driven by consumer spending and the working class makes up a huge majority of the consumer class.
Not only are jobs needed, but for the good of the economy, employers need to do a better job of rewarding their employees with wage growth that mirrors their profit growth. That has been happening less and less for the last thirty years. And now the US economy is suffering and having a very rough time rebounding.

I just skimmed the OP.
Yes, consumer spending is weak. After 30 years of flat wage growth for the working class, they have just run out of money and credit. They have been seeing less and less expendable income, thus the weak demand.
Around 70% of the US economy is driven by consumer spending and the working class makes up a huge majority of the consumer class.
Not only are jobs needed, but for the good of the economy, employers need to do a better job of rewarding their employees with wage growth that mirrors their profit growth. That has been happening less and less for the last thirty years. And now the US economy is suffering and having a very rough time rebounding.

Horribly inaccurate post.

In almost every case the problem is Government either doing things that are not their job or Government failing miserably at doing what is their job.
Illegal immigration destroyed the trades and forced everyone to focus on collage. Now we have a collage bubble and 50% of students can’t get a job. Thanks to Government not enforcing immigration laws and thanks to Government illegally funding people to get a collage education when there was literally no demand for it.

While I didn't list all the problems I gave a good idea of what has happened. To just claim employers don't pay enough is just mind blowingly out there.

Simply put Government has gone out of its way to support near slave labor while creating so much malinvestment that it is almost impossible to fathom recovering from it without going though a process of a depression.

Last edited:
I just skimmed the OP.

Horribly inaccurate post.

In almost every case the problem is Government either doing things that are not their job or Government failing miserably at doing what is their job.
Illegal immigration destroyed the trades and forced everyone to focus on collage. Now we have a collage bubble and 50% of students can’t get a job. Thanks to Government not enforcing immigration laws and thanks to Government illegally funding people to get a collage education when there was literally no demand for it.

While I didn't list all the problems I gave a good idea of what has happened. To just claim employers don't pay enough is just mind blowingly out there.

Simply put Government has gone out of its way to support near slave labor while creating so much malinvestment that it is almost impossible to fathom recovering from it without going though a process of a depression.

No Demand for a college education and you call someone else "stupid"????

tard

Regulations are 5th not third. You can't even read.

2.4 million jobs lost due to China from 2001-2008

Companies Say 3 Million Unfilled Positions in Skill Crisis: Jobs - Businessweek

Companies have reported more than 3 million job openings every month since February 2011, according to the Department of Labor.

---------------

Still, regardless of major, going to college is a good bet, the report shows. The overall unemployment rate for recent bachelor's-degree recipients is 8.9 percent, compared with 22.9 percent for recent high-school graduates and 31.5 percent for recent high-school dropouts. And for most recent college graduates, unemployment will drop as the economy improves, Mr. Carnevale said. But that time out of the work force, he said, limits workers' future earnings.

Unemployment Varies by College Major, Study Finds - Students - The Chronicle of Higher Education

What Republicans think of Education:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjbJOSwq3A]Santorum: Obama "A Snob" For Wanting Everyone To Go To College - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc6i6VuI_fc&feature]Romney On Obama's Plan To Hire More Police & Firefighters - YouTube[/ame]

Reducing regulation came in fifth place. In fact, most small business owners see government standards as an important tool to level the playing field with big business.

I can honestly say that government never got in the way of my business, nor did it directly intervene to make us successful. It simply contributed to the conditions that allowed us to succeed, and when we did, it collected more taxes.

Going back to 2007, we've repeatedy looked for evidence of job migration because of taxes and dug into claims about the superiority of other states as business havens. While we won't deny that businesses occasionally relocate or expand in other states, we've found no credible study that shows taxes and regulation are a significant factor in hampering Minnesota's economic growth.

McClatchy reached out to owners of small businesses, many of them mom-and-pop operations, to find out whether they indeed were being choked by regulation, whether uncertainty over taxes affected their hiring plans and whether the health care overhaul was helping or hurting their business.

None of the business owners complained about regulation in their particular industries, and most seemed to welcome it. Some pointed to the lack of regulation in mortgage lending as a principal cause of the financial crisis that brought about the Great Recession of 2007-09 and its grim aftermath.

Anyone with a search engine could go on endlessly. This only proves Romney and other Republican Business masterminds are fucking clueless. That, or they are outright lying to a base that is being mindlessly misled.

I didn't cherry pick these stories. They all say pretty much the same thing. Small business is threatened by what Republicans are doing for big business. And small business needs customers. Rebuilding the nations infrastructure is one way to get money into the pockets of the middle class. Republicans will make sure that NEVER happens. Even you right wingers have to admit it.

Sustainable Business Council? Lets find out what that is.

From their website.

Government regulations have been ridiculed as “job killers.” However, small-business owners know that regulations play an essential role in leveling the playing field by offering protection from big business. Regulations are the rules by which all businesses must play for orderly and fair competition in the market place.
Huh?

Sounds like another anti business group masquerading as a pro business group, who'd think?

Let's see which companies are part of the group.

Ben and Jerry's. They have annual sales of $132 million a year.

New Belgium Brewing has sales over $100 million a year.

Patagonia, are you kidding me? Their revenue is higher than the other two companies sales combined.

I guess that means that a small business that has upwards of $100 million in sales a year doesn't have to worry about regulation.

Guess what, I knew that. When I talk about the burden of regulations on small businesses I am talking about companies that make less than $200,000 a year, not companies that make 1000 times that amount.

You really need to stop listening to K Street groups that make money buy lobbying the government for corporations when they are talking about how wonderful regulations are.

good grief,

what a friggen JOKE
:lol:

Anyone that's ever run a business knows that customer demand is the one thing that predicts success. Everything else is a distant second.

Anyone that's ever run a business knows that customer demand is the one thing that predicts success. Everything else is a distant second.

I don't disagree. Anyone with a basic understanding of business knows that customers are the driving force behind any successful business. But, over regulation burdens business - that is also a fact. The problem is not regulation - again, a basic understanding of business is sufficient to know that business must be regulated. The burden comes from over regulation - layer upon layer of legislation - often contradictory legislation hinders business. It's not rocket science... and yet it appears to be above the intellectual pay grade of many on both sides.

Please outline the federal over-regulation that stifles small businesses.

Then, explain how any small businesses thrive in the current environment of federal over-regulation.

Thanks.

From their website.

Government regulations have been ridiculed as “job killers.” However, small-business owners know that regulations play an essential role in leveling the playing field by offering protection from big business. Regulations are the rules by which all businesses must play for orderly and fair competition in the market place.
Huh?

Sounds like another anti business group masquerading as a pro business group, who'd think?

Patagonia, are you kidding me? Their revenue is higher than the other two companies sales combined.

I guess that means that a small business that has upwards of $100 million in sales a year doesn't have to worry about regulation.

Guess what, I knew that. When I talk about the burden of regulations on small businesses I am talking about companies that make less than $200,000 a year, not companies that make 1000 times that amount.

You really need to stop listening to K Street groups that make money buy lobbying the government for corporations when they are talking about how wonderful regulations are.

Sounds like common sense to me. You ridiculed what was said and then talked about something else. In fact, you didn't make a bit of sense. Who even knows what your point was?

From their website.

Huh?

Sounds like common sense to me. You ridiculed what was said and then talked about something else. In fact, you didn't make a bit of sense. Who even knows what your point was?

that's because that whole article should be ridiculed..

this one here about made me gag
what you people won't try and sell as the GOVERNMENT is all great and good and we the people are suppose to be grateful for all the regulations and taxes it heaps on us..

Last edited:
Look at these right wingers. They add nothing to the discussion. And check out the links I posted:

Small Business Majority | About Small Business Majority

Check out who their BOD is. How they do their research. What they are about.

Mission & Values

Check out Main Street Alliance.

These aren't radical sites. I've even posted to Businessweek.

These "truths" about small business are common sense and self evident. It's a pity the right wing has lost the capacity to understand even the most basic ideas.

Small Businesses Say Weak Customer Demand, Not Regulations, taxes, the Problem

of course that's 100% absurd. If you eliminated taxes, regulations and the uncertainty that a single payer communist president causes on small business, prices could be cut in half and demand would soar.

What do you know, as it turns out Rtard is just a puppet for giant corporations... 100 million a year, the NEW small business! I also love the support for regulations, to limit others so there is a better playing field for their product… Gee, sounds like blatant corruption to me. I’m sure tiny business’s love regulations that restrict them from even selling products in a store because they don’t have the output required by regulation supported by your average 100-200million dollar “small businesses.”

The difference is when a conservative talks about "small business" they mean someone you might know that runs a business... When Rtard talks about "small business he means the guys that spend 30k a head to have dinner with Obama.

New Topics

Forum List

Back