Small arms of the German Navy

Ninja

Dec 30, 2006
Glorious People's Republic of California
Was at a barbecue earlier tonight, started talking to some guy who claimed to be a veteran of the German Navy ('96-'00). He was also an insane bigot, but that's beside the point.

I asked him about the HK USP and HK G36 he was issued. He'd never heard of HK (I even clarified by saying "Heckler and Koch"), the USP or the G36.

I was surprised to learn that every sailor in the German Navy is issued a fully-automatic Walther P99 and a Kalashnikov made of polycarbonate.

Maybe he meant that he was in the Airsoft German Navy? I guess I should have asked if the P99 was chambered in 6mm or .177

:confused:

Was at a barbecue earlier tonight, started talking to some guy who claimed to be a veteran of the German Navy ('96-'00). He was also an insane bigot, but that's beside the point.

I asked him about the HK USP and HK G36 he was issued. He'd never heard of HK (I even clarified by saying "Heckler and Koch"), the USP or the G36.

I was surprised to learn that every sailor in the German Navy is issued a fully-automatic Walther P99 and a Kalashnikov made of polycarbonate.

Maybe he meant that he was in the Airsoft German Navy? I guess I should have asked if the P99 was chambered in 6mm or .177

:confused:

You are aware most navy personnel do not normally get issued individual arms?

No, I was not aware that this was universal. Clearly it isn't - sailors in the German Navy are issued the fully-automatic Walther P99 and the polycarbonate Kalashnikov :lol:

Why?

I can't think of many places on earth where issuing small arms to the crew makes less sense than onboard a modern naval vessel.

If it comes down to hand to hand combat, the ship is already compromised.

This story, while it may be true, makes like no sense to me.

Forum List

Back