Slutty Teen accuses MYSPACE of 'not doing enough' to protect her from herself - :(

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
14. Right. Not able to consent. Yet she agrees to MEET some creep and surprise-surprise she gets molested.

Guy should go to jail. Sure thing.

Now...the GIRL..and her mom want THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS because the little tramp wasn't 'protected enough' from joining MySpace...chatting with a STRANGER...agreeing to MEET the stranger...and getting herself molested.

She's saying she and her mom are too stupid to protect themselves, so MySpace.com should pay them THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS for their stupidity.

I HATE this country sometimes.

Teen, mom sue MySpace.com for $30 million

Suit filed in Travis County claims popular Internet site fails to protects children from adult sexual predators.

By Claire Osborn
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A 14-year-old Travis County girl who said she was sexually assaulted by a Buda man she met on MySpace.com sued the popular social networking site Monday for $30 million, claiming that it fails to protect minors from adult sexual predators.

The lawsuit claims that the Web site does not require users to verify their age and calls the security measures aimed at preventing strangers from contacting users younger than 16 "utterly ineffective."

"MySpace is more concerned about making money than protecting children online," said Adam Loewy, who is representing the girl and her mother in the lawsuit against MySpace, parent company News Corp. and Pete Solis, the 19-year-old accused of sexually assaulting the girl.

Hemanshu Nigam, the chief security officer for MySpace.com, said in a written statement: "We take aggressive measures to protect our members. We encourage everyone on the Internet to engage in smart web practices and have open family dialogue about how to apply offline lessons in the online world."

Founded in 2003, MySpace has more than 80 million registered users worldwide and is the world's third most-viewed Web site, according to the lawsuit.

Loewy said the lawsuit is the first of its kind in the nation against MySpace.

Solis contacted the girl through her MySpace Web site in April, telling her that he was a high school senior who played on the football team, according to the lawsuit.

In May, after a series of e-mails and phone calls, he picked her up at school, took her out to eat and to a movie, then drove her to an apartment complex parking lot in South Austin, where he sexually assaulted her, police said. He was arrested May 19.

The lawsuit includes news reports of other assault cases in which girls were contacted through MySpace. They include a 22-year-old Wisconsin man charged with six counts of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl and a 27-year-old Connecticut man accused of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl.

MySpace says on a "Tips for Parents" page that users must be 14 or older. The Web site does nothing to verify the age of the user, such as requiring a driver's license or credit card number, Loewy said.

To create an account, a MySpace user must list a name, an e-mail address, sex, country and date of birth.

"None of this has to be true," the lawsuit said.

Attorneys general from five states, including Texas, have asked MySpace.com to provide more security, the lawsuit said. Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott sent a letter to the MySpace.com chief executive officer May 22, asking him to require users to verify their age and identity with a credit card or verified e-mail account.

Lauren Gelman, associate director of the Center for Internet and Society at Stanford Law School, said she does not think MySpace is legally responsible for what happens away from its site.

"If you interact on MySpace, you are safe, but if a 13-year-old or 14-year-old goes out in person and meets someone she doesn't know, that is always an unsafe endeavor," Gelman said. "We need to teach our kids to be wary of strangers."

Loewy said he was confident about the lawsuit, which he said seeks damages worth 1 percent of the company's estimated worth.

"We feel that 1 percent of that is the bare minimum that they should compensate the girl for their failure to protect her online when they knew sexual predators were on that site," he said.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/06/20myspace.html

Found this gem in the 'comments' to this story:

The phone company and depart of transportation do not provide sufficient protections to protect our children from talking to or meeting sexual predators. Clearly, phone and highway access must be restricted to non criminals.

Currently, anyone can simply pick up a phone and use it! This is an absurd and very scary situation. And anybody can get behind the wheel of a vehicle and drive on the roads! Actually, this is the automobile industries fault! Lets sue them too!

;)

Why didn't she and her mom include Al Gore in the lawsuit?

After all, had he not invented the Internet, none of this would have happened.

GotZoom said:
Why didn't she and her mom include Al Gore in the lawsuit?

After all, had he not invented the Internet, none of this would have happened.

Good point, and how about the broadband company she uses, and the computer company she bought from. :(

Darin..:rotflmao: slutty teen:rotflmao:

5stringJeff said:
If there's true justice in the world, the lawsuit will be thrown out, and the mom will be forced to pay MySpace's attorney fees.
Agreed, and lose custody of the child to the state, she obviously is not protect her.

With this kind of crap, I'm almost afraid to pursue any sort of career or ever start my own business. One angry customer with a chip on his shoulder could ruin me for life, even if I win the suit.

Hobbit said:
With this kind of crap, I'm almost afraid to pursue any sort of career or ever start my own business. One angry customer with a chip on his shoulder could ruin me for life, even if I win the suit.
Self employement is a BITCH, regardless of how glamorous the public sees it. The MORONS are everywhere, your worst enemy is yer customer. Sad but true.:bangheads

"We feel that 1 percent of that is the bare minimum that they should compensate the girl for their failure to protect her online when they knew sexual predators were on that site," he said.

Well, when they put it like that...

That guy should countersue the family and sue myspace as well.

"Its true that i'm a creep and I have a problem... but this wouldn't have happened if myspace and this girl's family had taken the appropriate steps to protect me from this stupid girl when they know creeps like me use the internet."

I don't see this lawsuit going anywhere.

Also, dumb as she was she is only a 14 yr old girl, its to be expected. I feel bad for her and the lawsuit reflects more on the character of the parents than anything.

Redhots said:
I don't see this lawsuit going anywhere.

It'll go far enough to eat up the defendants' time and money. It will force yet another provider of goods or services to alter its business practices - to factor in the ridiculous lawsuit - to further reduce the quality of life for all of us. And, above all, it will enrich every lawyer involved.

Stupid, irresponsible people have always been around. But, in the past, life had a way of dispensing consequences to stupidity and irresponsibility - sometimes, even, to the point where such people (gasp!) learned and grew - or just died horribly before they could inflict too much of their idiocy on the rest of us.

Not so today. Why? Because we have too many lawyers. And until LAWYERS THEMSELVES begin suffering real penalties for bringing this kind of shit into the court system, life is just going to keep getting worse for all of us. Lawyers are helping to destroy society by punishing achievement and rewarding laziness, avarice, and stupidity.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
musicman said:
It'll go far enough to eat up the defendants' time and money. It will force yet another provider of goods or services to alter its business practices - to factor in the ridiculous lawsuit - to further reduce the quality of life for all of us. And, above all, it will enrich every lawyer involved.

Stupid, irresponsible people have always been around. But, in the past, life had a way of dispensing consequences to stupidity and irresponsibility - sometimes, even, to the point where such people (gasp!) learned and grew - or just died horribly before they could inflict too much of their idiocy on the rest of us.

Not so today. Why? Because we have too many lawyers. And until LAWYERS THEMSELVES begin suffering real penalties for bringing this kind of shit into the court system, life is just going to keep getting worse for all of us. Lawyers are helping to destroy society by punishing achievement and rewarding laziness, avarice, and stupidity.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
I'll try to catch you later. Tort reform.

musicman said:

I agree and disagree.

Lawyers shouldn’t be bringing these cases, BUT they do because….

Like any business their out to make $$$$.

Now…..

Who dowels out the verdict and awards the $$$$?
Me and you the jury of course, is society dumb? Yep. Fix that and we got er whipped. Not gonna happen soon, so......

First step, I think there should be a loser pays system. No need for reform then, if yer bank account is on the line you’ll be careful with yer filings. And the incompetent Lawyers will disappear. Now how’s that?

You have a glimpse of where this is going now from this idiot girl and her idiot mom. A Lawyer, politician or just general totalitarian will see a story like this and begin crusading for Websites to be secure for "the sake of our children." I can almost read the legislature already. It will happen sometime soon and alot of people will say "for the sake of the children" right along with them.

First step, I think there should be a loser pays system. No need for reform then, if yer bank account is on the line you’ll be careful with yer filings. And the incompetent Lawyers will disappear. Now how’s that?

Pass.

If "justice prevailed" all the time, sure... but otherwise, for example, you end up with the Browns and Goldmans paying O.J. millions of dollars....

Redhots said:
Pass.

If "justice prevailed" all the time, sure... but otherwise, for example, you end up with the Browns and Goldmans paying O.J. millions of dollars....
The OJ case was a criminal case…not what we’re talking about here.

Forum List

Back