Slumdog Millionaire

Amazing movie. One of the best I've seen in the last 5 or so years. Way better than any of the three or four previous Best Picture winners. I'd say it was the most deserving Best Picture winner since Return of the King, for sure.

I love how the movie's success reflects the story of the movie. If you had already seen the movie and were a fan going into the awards season, you would have been surprised at how pleased you were it won so many awards.

I gave it a 9/10 on IMDb. It's amazing, but certainly not perfect. Few films earn that from me.

Amazing movie. One of the best I've seen in the last 5 or so years. Way better than any of the three or four previous Best Picture winners. I'd say it was the most deserving Best Picture winner since Return of the King, for sure.

I love how the movie's success reflects the story of the movie. If you had already seen the movie and were a fan going into the awards season, you would have been surprised at how pleased you were it won so many awards.

I gave it a 9/10 on IMDb. It's amazing, but certainly not perfect. Few films earn that from me.

The one grumble that my wife and I had was that the subtitles were too small. I have impeccible eyesight, so I was reading the subtitles to my wife. I was pretending that I was translating Indian (or whatever language they speak).

I am surprised that they didn't get any acting nominations.

The one grumble that my wife and I had was that the subtitles were too small. I have impeccible eyesight, so I was reading the subtitles to my wife. I was pretending that I was translating Indian (or whatever language they speak).

I am surprised that they didn't get any acting nominations.

Mmm...I think the acting was actually not that great. Dev Patel won a few minor awards for best newcomer, but he was probably the worst actor in the film.

Yes, the subtitles were pretty difficult to read. They used different colors for the background depending on who was speaking, but sometimes the backgrounds blended with the scenery and it was near impossible to read.

I watched it. I'm fascinated by India, and found the whole concept of fate and coinicidence pretty interesting. The acting was pretty good.

Was it a life altering event for me? Not really. I've seen better movies and read better books, though this would probably be a better book than a movie. I loved the end, it was wonderful that it had a joyful ending.

It wasn't particularly eye opening for me, though, because I've read so much of India and it's history I'm not all that shocked by the filth, poverty and the degradation..the lack of value of life.

I did see things in it which reminded me of other films. Like the death/suicide of the brother, that was so Scarface.

I did see things in it which reminded me of other films. Like the death/suicide of the brother, that was so Scarface.

I think it was meant to be. You have to remember that India is influenced a lot by American pop culture.

But that scene was also misunderstood or, rather, went over a lot of people's head. Salim was using the money to buy off Latika's freedom. He knew he could take out Javed, and he also knew he would die in the process. The money was his way of paying Javed's lackeys for not coming after Latika and Jamal in revenge for Javed's death.

Was it a life altering event for me? Not really. I've seen better movies and read better books, though this would probably be a better book than a movie.

The book is decent, but I actually do prefer the movie in this case. The scenes are hard to imagine when reading the book, but they were beautiful and moving on screen.

What I liked was the directing and cinematography, there were many incredibly shot scenes, the viewer's angle, the color, the ambiance. The scene in the beginning when the kids are running was amazing. I can't imagine setting up those shots in such cramped areas. I also liked the chemistry the actors shared.

I actually wasn't that jazzed to see it because I have never been that interested in that part of the world but I work with some guys from India and they have told me some stories that perked my interest.

Forum List

Back