Slugs

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
just destroying seedlings. I went outside tonight and caught them going to town. I gave them all a nice salt treatment but how do I prevent these motherfuckers because I can't go out every night and micro manage this shit

Chickens. When I had chickens...there was nary a slug or snail in my whole back yard. Then again, the chickens destroyed my nice plants...so...use chicken wire to keep them out of those. If you don't have decorative shrubs and whatnot...get chickens.

Plus...salting the ground kills the soil.

I hear they like beer and will crawl in a bowl of it and then drown. And beer won't hurt your soil.

I read about the beer thing. I'll try that. But otherwise, I'm not gonna be using animals for this it's just a little vegetable garden I'm not running a farm here. Im just wondering if there's anything i can just put down aroud the seedlings to deter the slugs. I read about pet hair, which I have plenty of because my dogs are shedding hair faster than Sinead O'Connor right now so I'll try that too

I read about the beer thing. I'll try that. But otherwise, I'm not gonna be using animals for this it's just a little vegetable garden I'm not running a farm here. Im just wondering if there's anything i can just put down aroud the seedlings to deter the slugs. I read about pet hair, which I have plenty of because my dogs are shedding hair faster than Sinead O'Connor right now so I'll try that too

I've heard tobacco dust kills a lot of plant-eating things.

just destroying seedlings. I went outside tonight and caught them going to town. I gave them all a nice salt treatment but how do I prevent these motherfuckers because I can't go out every night and micro manage this shit
The garden store has slug poison. You have to mix it o to the soil before planting.

Diatomaceous earth is a powder that contains pulverized clam shells or something like that. When soft bodied creatures like slugs encounter it, they are torn up and become a glump of meat that melts away. What's nice is you can touch the powder without being poisoned yourself. You sprinkle it around the plants. You'll have to reapply it after rain or when it sort of disappears into the soil.

Put pans of beer out for them. They will crawl in and drown.

Diatomaceous earth is a powder that contains pulverized clam shells or something like that. When soft bodied creatures like slugs encounter it, they are torn up and become a glump of meat that melts away. What's nice is you can touch the powder without being poisoned yourself. You sprinkle it around the plants. You'll have to reapply it after rain or when it sort of disappears into the soil.

WINNER!!!

We buy it from our garden area in Lowe's... something like SLUG BEGONE or Slug Out, can't remember the name precisely.

You sprinkle a circle of it around your plant and repeat after a rain.

omg why didn't I think of that. We have snails and slugs and every spot except my tiny garden spot is rank with overgrown grass and weeds....prime snail habitat. My kids messed up the mower and I haven't gotten it fixed because I can't lift the giant motherfucker into the exploder.

The beer worked really well. I put a few containers out night before last and this morning there had to be at least 30 dead slugs in them. Last year it was voles this year its slugs. I can't win

Forum List

Back