Slow computer? 9 ways to make it run faster

All good until Windows stops providing updates for Win 7.Not likely for quite awhile as people are still buying new PC's with Win 7...which btw is the first time in PC history that oem manufactures are selling computers with an 8 year old operating system that is two versions back. This shows you just how bad Win 10 is.Frankly I do not see a clear path for Windows in the coming years. Their obvious #1 priority is to turn everyone's computer into a datamining tool for selling to advertisers. And more and more regular people are becoming aware of this.
`
I'll move to Linux before I touch win 10.

Why?
Because Win 10 basically turns your 'personal computer' into what is essentially a dedicated Microsoft workstation that is also a data-miner and ad-ware platform disguised as an operating system.
Even if one is still using Win 7 there are specific updates to avoid, or delete if already installed, with Win 8/8.1 you're still semi-screwed with certain updates they won't let you block.
What are these Win8 Updates I cannot block?

A skill everyone should have is reformatting and reinstalling the OS new. XP and Windows 7 are very stable platforms. Windows 10 is 3rd in that line and is pretty good though I can't stand when something on the pc decides it will update when IT wants to.

Save critical files to an external HD or a USB stick and then scorched Earth format. Nothing like a brand new install, no viruses or malware or anything else survives and the whole thing is updated and ready to go before you reinstall everything.

And for those so inclined get two or three hard drives, install Windows 7 on one and Windows 10 on another. That way you can run Win 7 programs in a natural state rather than any kind of emulation. I have XP up and running on a spare hard drive but getting it to work on current hardware you have to use some weird tricks here and there just to install it. Better to have a ten year old PC to run it on.

If we were voting I'd vote XP as the best Microsoft Operating System so far with Windows 7 a close second and Win 10 two lengths behind. And what of Windows 9? Windows 8 was so bad they skipped 9 so people would think it was eons into the future and Windows 8 was long long ago in a galaxy far far away.

All good until Windows stops providing updates for Win 7.Not likely for quite awhile as people are still buying new PC's with Win 7...which btw is the first time in PC history that oem manufactures are selling computers with an 8 year old operating system that is two versions back. This shows you just how bad Win 10 is.Frankly I do not see a clear path for Windows in the coming years. Their obvious #1 priority is to turn everyone's computer into a datamining tool for selling to advertisers. And more and more regular people are becoming aware of this.
`

Why?
Because Win 10 basically turns your 'personal computer' into what is essentially a dedicated Microsoft workstation that is also a data-miner and ad-ware platform disguised as an operating system.
Even if one is still using Win 7 there are specific updates to avoid, or delete if already installed, with Win 8/8.1 you're still semi-screwed with certain updates they won't let you block.

Glad at least YOU knew the answer. :)

I honestly do not see much difference because I have been using blockers and the like since I first started building computers. When I stopped building them (for the most part), I continued on with good software to keep things blocked and cleaned.

A skill everyone should have is reformatting and reinstalling the OS new. XP and Windows 7 are very stable platforms. Windows 10 is 3rd in that line and is pretty good though I can't stand when something on the pc decides it will update when IT wants to.

Save critical files to an external HD or a USB stick and then scorched Earth format. Nothing like a brand new install, no viruses or malware or anything else survives and the whole thing is updated and ready to go before you reinstall everything.

And for those so inclined get two or three hard drives, install Windows 7 on one and Windows 10 on another. That way you can run Win 7 programs in a natural state rather than any kind of emulation. I have XP up and running on a spare hard drive but getting it to work on current hardware you have to use some weird tricks here and there just to install it. Better to have a ten year old PC to run it on.

If we were voting I'd vote XP as the best Microsoft Operating System so far with Windows 7 a close second and Win 10 two lengths behind. And what of Windows 9? Windows 8 was so bad they skipped 9 so people would think it was eons into the future and Windows 8 was long long ago in a galaxy far far away.

I would have to politely disagree. XP had a huge number of problems for it's first couple years. As well as it pretty much required people to buy a new PC. XP went on to become very stable and was probably the best gaming platform thusfar.
Windows 2000, a short-lived prequel to XP, was a very solid OS and the replacement of one of M$'s worst - Windows NT Workstation. OMG was that a bad OS. Inexcusably bad. At least as bad as Windows ME.
Personally, I do not consider Windows 10 a serious OS. It exist to provide M$ the means to sell your data to advertisers. And it is simply unusable in a business sitting as it has terrible driver issues with numerous hardware devices.

There is no emulation of Windows 7. The only emulation stuff is when you run 32 Bit programs on 64 Bit systems but you won´t notice it.

`

Why?
Microsoft Store for one.

`

Why?

I honestly do not see much difference because I have been using blockers and the like since I first started building computers. When I stopped building them (for the most part), I continued on with good software to keep things blocked and cleaned.
Up until recently Cortana could be completely blocked so that it wouldn't run at all, Microsoft put a stop to that and though it can be set to not "help" it still runs in the background collecting data and sending it (supposedly anonymously) to Microsoft. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

`

Why?
Microsoft Store for one.
Here´s how to disable:
Windows 8.1 – Windows Store, App Updates, Automatic | TechNet

`

Why?

Up until recently Cortana could be completely blocked so that it wouldn't run at all, Microsoft put a stop to that and though it can be set to not "help" it still runs in the background collecting data and sending it (supposedly anonymously) to Microsoft. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
The best solution for the future is to get an Enterprise LTSB key.

`

Why?

Yeah that sucks, but I never ever notice anything concerning it. Someone somewhere is going to get some data off us, if they choose to, no matter what we try and do to stop it.

`

Why?
Microsoft Store for one.
Here´s how to disable:
Too little, too late, once it's on the computer getting it off is a challenge at best. Besides it's a moot point now.

`

Why?

The best solution for the future is to get an Enterprise LTSB key.
Again, too little, too late.

Microsoft Store for one.
Here´s how to disable:
Too little, too late, once it's on the computer getting it off is a challenge at best. Besides it's a moot point now.
It´s one click away.

Ultimate Windows Tweaker 3 for Windows 8

Microsoft Store for one.
Here´s how to disable:
It´s one click away.

Like I said, it's a moot point now besides, I really don't like Win 8.

Microsoft Store for one.
Here´s how to disable:
It´s one click away.

Like I said, it's a moot point now besides, I really don't like Win 8.
Windows 8 has several advantages over Windows 7 and when you deal with its sicknesses, its faster and better.

How do we know Cortana is running? Ringel05

Cortona runs on every Win10 computer.
A cleverly disguised "helper"...that appears to be like iPhone SIRI...but not even close. It's main purpose to is to collect everything you do.
If you read the M$ fine print whne you first get a computer you would see that this includes Photos, Videos, Camera Shots, what you type and where you typed it. Among of course, everything you do online.

I really don't understand all of this.

I was on the list for Win10 and had it installed the first day it was available. It works perfectly for me and I have no desire for anything else.

Forum List

Back