Sling Blade

Well, I am sorry. I didn't like slingblade. I did, but I didn't. Mixed emotions. BillyBob did excellent. But the concept. The many paths. Good folks that have no tact, innocense, bad guy. I think what got me most upset where the "I don't like this movie" meter started ringing was with the mother and her acceptance to subjecting herself, her boy, her gay friend to such filth from the loser she chose to be with. No consideration of anyone except her own need, which was warped. Nice lady, yes. Humble and afraid to show some gumption, yes. And that's what made me dislike the movie. Someone else had to take into their own hands what she should have done herself at the first sign of violence her lover showed.
If there is nothing more that disgusts me is a weak woman who thinks only of herself and damn to anyone else that choice affects.

In short. It pissed me off.

Comparing his acting in slingblade and other flicks...he sure did a complete transformation. Which is what makes a great actor. He did very well.
I'm just not so good at those sorts of movies. I may like how the acting went and the storyline, but some aspects just pushes a button with me that is not good. Burning Bed is another such movie. And Stoning Soraya. My blood pressure rises and I get all pissed off. I don't regret watching slingblade though.
Like I said..mixed emotions right now.

People are just now finding out about Slingblade ?

" I likea way you talk "

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjfd4hnE-PI]YouTube - I like the way you talk[/ame]

"How was the world out there, Carl?"

"It was too big".

I can relate.

I think the part that moved me the most was when he went to his brothers grave.

A great movie that most people have never seen or heard about is Peter Sellers, "Being There".

It was the original Forest Gump type of movie.

The movie is a blend of intellectual comedy and provocative thought.

In the forest Gump movie everything centers around him and what he does.

In the Peter Sellers movie it's just the opposite.

It focuses on the actions and reactions of people around him and their perception of him.

In my opinion it is a much better movie than the brain-dead Forest Gump comedy.

Last edited:
A great movie that most people have never seen or heard about is Peter Sellers, "Being There".

It focuses on the actions and reactions of people around him and their perception of him.

I'll see if it's on netflix. Thanks for the recommendation.

Because I "felt" this movie on so many levels, I wanted to watch another with Billy Bob Thornton and I searched Netflix and found this one, which I gave a 4 stars. I would have given it a 5 stars but "Sling Blade" reached that goal, and this could not compare, even though I loved Billy Bob in it and the whole black and white noir theme. They did a good job with all that. Looked very authentic and Billy Bob played the most passionless person I have ever seen protrayed. He has a gift for these eclectic types.lol

"The Man Who Wasn't There." Recommended.

YouTube - The man who wasn't there - Trailer - HQ

Yeah, I just saw this movie yesterday, randomly, on TV and thought it was excellent , and it reminded me of Sling Blade cuz' of ol' Billy Bob. Liked it better than SB actually, highly recommend!

Sling Blade was pretty good, not really my kind of movie but it has a solid and touching story with superb acting from BBT.

"I like to watch."

I must agree. I loved Peter Sellers and especially that movie.

Because I "felt" this movie on so many levels, I wanted to watch another with Billy Bob Thornton and I searched Netflix and found this one, which I gave a 4 stars. I would have given it a 5 stars but "Sling Blade" reached that goal, and this could not compare, even though I loved Billy Bob in it and the whole black and white noir theme. They did a good job with all that. Looked very authentic and Billy Bob played the most passionless person I have ever seen protrayed. He has a gift for these eclectic types.lol

"The Man Who Wasn't There." Recommended.

YouTube - The man who wasn't there - Trailer - HQ

Yeah, I just saw this movie yesterday, randomly, on TV and thought it was excellent , and it reminded me of Sling Blade cuz' of ol' Billy Bob. Liked it better than SB actually, highly recommend!

Sling Blade was pretty good, not really my kind of movie but it has a solid and touching story with superb acting from BBT.

Man who wasn't there was an excellent flick..pure art.
I don't know about liking it more than slingblade...they are too different to compare really.

THere are so many classic scenes in that movie, it is hard to pinpoint just one. When Karl confronts his dad and asks him why did he bury his brother in a shoebox...or when Dwight Yoakam is having 'the band' over and he kicks them out and pushes the guy in a wheelchair into the wall. I think I've seen that movie over 10 times by now, rivaled only by 'Mask' or 'Planet of the Apes.'

Forum List

Back