Slides to Digital Images

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
I've recently become the custodian of hundreds of slides my father took over the years. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to convert them to digital images with paying a zillion dollars ?

You reminded me about a project that I've been putting in the backburner for quite a while: to have my hard prints scanned and put onto dvd's. I've been putting it out of my mind because I haven't decided if I want to do this myself or have a company do it for me.

A year ago, we had some 8mm reels converted to dvd's and that cost a pretty penny. We used DoddCamera and they did an excellent job.

I also dug up this article that I had archived which lists a company that converts photos, slides into digital images. The company mentioned is called scanmyphotos.com. Prices seem reasonable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/t...70&en=814cbb0be98ec862&ex=1219464000&emc=eta1

If you purchase a really good photographic scanner you will be able to scan both slides and photos and turn them into digital files. You can probably get the scanner for something between $100 and $200 depending on which model and brand you get. Check out Cannon. They have some pretty nice photo scanners that won't break the bank.

I've recently become the custodian of hundreds of slides my father took over the years. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to convert them to digital images with paying a zillion dollars ?

Dillo, I just bought an HP C8180 copier/scanner/printer for this very reason. My dad died last year and I took possession of all of his slides, I have the projector and screen, but preserving the photos digitally is my ultimate goal.

The C8180 comes with the tools to scan slides. I have done some testing and the scans look good not to mention that the process is much easier than it was in the old days.

hjmc - I too have a HP C8180 printer and it does a good job like you say. I didn't mention this because I thought it might be a little expensive for dilloduck... I guess I shouldn't assume. I love my C8180. It does a great job with every thing I do with it. This too would be a good choice if money isn't the issue. I guess you should always remember though - you get what you pay for!

hjmc - I too have a HP C8180 printer and it does a good job like you say. I didn't mention this because I thought it might be a little expensive for dilloduck... I guess I shouldn't assume. I love my C8180. It does a great job with every thing I do with it. This too would be a good choice if money isn't the issue. I guess you should always remember though - you get what you pay for!

HP does have a couple of less expensive models that would probably work just as well, I chose the 8180 because I liked the features it had that the others didn't, especially the ability to burn and label DVDs.

Thanks all for the advice--now will someone please lend me some time to do all this ??:lol:

Ay, there's the rub my friend. Time.

Forum List

Back