Sleeping giant' glacier may lift seas two metres: study

Mr. Westwall believes that any scientist that does not agree with him on every subject that he addresses is a panicky moron with no scientific literacy. And that includes the whole of the AGU and GSA. LOL

Liberterianism and extreme conservativism are parallels and brothers to the extremist in the middle east. It doesn't surprise me one bit that they don't accept any of the science and will go as far as to make up there own science for the hell of it. This is shown for example from the reality that a 150 year old theory of green house warming from co2 that has stood ever since now isn't real because I say so. The mind boggles.

This isn't the way science is done but it is the way religion is done and it makes sense when you consider these people for who they're.

Who here knows for a fact that what these scientist are seeing isn't happening? Who are you to judge as you sit in your chair 8,000 miles away??? At the minimum where is the research that you're or someone else is taking part in proving that this really is a crock?

I will have to assume that you cannot use a search engine and that you cannot read simple English. All of these issues have been discussed here repeatedly.

so the Antarctic Ice shelf dropped/melted? Really?

I see no other reason for panic like what is in this OP. I must therefore assume it happened. And I did search google and nothing about a collapse or melt of the Antarctic Ice Shelf.

Then you're an idiot.

I will have to assume that you cannot use a search engine and that you cannot read simple English. All of these issues have been discussed here repeatedly.

so the Antarctic Ice shelf dropped/melted? Really?

I see no other reason for panic like what is in this OP. I must therefore assume it happened. And I did search google and nothing about a collapse or melt of the Antarctic Ice Shelf.

Then you're an idiot.
why am I the idiot, I didn't say the ice shelf dropped the OP implied it dropped, I just want to see where the news articles were since the implications are enormous rises in water tables around the globe. :wtf::tongue-44:

So, you believe that Martin Siegert, co-director of the Grantham Institute and Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London is a "panicky moron with no scientific literacy?

Loserterians do. This is why I compare these people to the taliban as they simply don't care about science and make shit up on the fly.
what science is there in that article? that if ice sheets melt it will add water to the ocean? Really, you need to have a scientist tell you that?

The article was not the study writen by Siegert and colleagues. It was an article about the study.

The actual article is available behind a paywall at Nature Geoscience. Here is the abstract

NATURE GEOSCIENCE | LETTER

Ocean access to a cavity beneath Totten Glacier in East Antarctica
Nature Geoscience

294–298

(2015)

doi:10.1038/ngeo2388
Received

12 December 2014
Accepted

09 February 2015
Published online

16 March 2015
Citation
Totten Glacier, the primary outlet of the Aurora Subglacial Basin, has the largest thinning rate in East Antarctica1, 2. Thinning may be driven by enhanced basal melting due to ocean processes3, modulated by polynya activity4, 5. Warm modified Circumpolar Deep Water, which has been linked to glacier retreat in West Antarctica6, has been observed in summer and winter on the nearby continental shelf beneath 400 to 500 m of cool Antarctic Surface Water7, 8. Here we derive the bathymetry of the sea floor in the region from gravity9 and magnetics10 data as well as ice-thickness measurements11. We identify entrances to the ice-shelf cavity below depths of 400 to 500 m that could allow intrusions of warm water if the vertical structure of inflow is similar to nearby observations. Radar sounding reveals a previously unknown inland trough that connects the main ice-shelf cavity to the ocean. If thinning trends continue, a larger water body over the trough could potentially allow more warm water into the cavity, which may, eventually, lead to destabilization of the low-lying region between Totten Glacier and the similarly deep glacier flowing into the Reynolds Trough. We estimate that at least 3.5 m of eustatic sea level potential drains through Totten Glacier, so coastal processes in this area could have global consequences.

"We estimate that at least 3.5 m of eustatic sea level potential drains through Totten Glacier, so coastal processes in this area could have global consequences."

Nah, he must be a panicky science illiterate, right?

Forum List

Back