Sleeping giant' glacier may lift seas two metres: study

Dear Lick Me

The ice of the Arctic is floating on the ocean's surface and will have no effect on sea level save that it's disappearance will decrease the Earth's albedo causing the ocean to absorb radiant energy at an increased pace. The ice of Greenland and Antarctica, however, is on land. It melting and running into the ocean most distinctly WILL raise the world's sea level.
How fast wifi it melt? All at once? LOL

Source: yahoo new
Paris (AFP) - A rapidly melting glacier atop East Antarctica is on track to lift oceans at least two metres, and could soon pass a "tipping point" of no return, researchers said Wednesday.

To date, scientists have mostly worried about the Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets as dangerous drivers of sea level rise.

But the new study, following up on earlier work by the same team, has identified a third major threat to hundreds of millions of people living in coastal areas around the world.

"I predict that before the end of the century the great global cities of our planet near the sea will have two- or three-metre (6.5 - 10 feet) high sea defences all around them," said Martin Siegert, co-director of the Grantham Institute and Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London, and the study's senior author.

From the air, the contours of Totten Glacier -- roughly the size of France -- are invisible because the entire Antarctic continent is covered by a seamless, kilometres-thick blanket of snow and ice.

Geologically, however, it is a distinct -- and volatile -- beast.

- Disintegration accelerating -

Read more: 'Sleeping giant' glacier may lift seas two metres: study

Say good bye to southern Florida, LA and Boston. This is quite concerning.
Some people are so unintelligent that they can't even recognize that "may" is a weasel word.

Does that describe you, OP?

THINK!

jc, why do you think all the ice in the Arctic will melt at once?

Please explain the science behind your very peculiar claim.
It is the only logical way to achieve your idiocy

BTW, learn some science.

Last edited:
OMIGAWD! Does this mean that Guam is finally going to Tip Over?

Paris (AFP) - A rapidly melting glacier atop East Antarctica is on track to lift oceans at least two metres, and could soon pass a "tipping point" of no return, researchers said Wednesday.

To date, scientists have mostly worried about the Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets as dangerous drivers of sea level rise.

But the new study, following up on earlier work by the same team, has identified a third major threat to hundreds of millions of people living in coastal areas around the world.

"I predict that before the end of the century the great global cities of our planet near the sea will have two- or three-metre (6.5 - 10 feet) high sea defences all around them," said Martin Siegert, co-director of the Grantham Institute and Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London, and the study's senior author.

From the air, the contours of Totten Glacier -- roughly the size of France -- are invisible because the entire Antarctic continent is covered by a seamless, kilometres-thick blanket of snow and ice.

Some people are so unintelligent that they can't even recognize that "may" is a weasel word.

THINK!

Some people don't understand the very basics of science. One of them would be you.

GET A FUCKING EDUCATION, CEMENT MASON!

hey crick...did you ever figure out where Muhammed's avatar comes from? or do you still think it's a cartoon of a Sikh?

THINK!

Some people don't understand the very basics of science. One of them would be you.

so when will you be getting some?

THINK!

I have a 158 IQ and more education than any LWNJ on the planet.

THINK!

From the quality of your posts, just remove the first number, and that would be accurate. LOL

As we observe the effects of the warming, we are finding more and more surprises, some of them do not bode well for us at all.

THINK!

From the quality of your posts, just remove the first number, and that would be accurate. LOL

As we observe the effects of the warming, we are finding more and more surprises, some of them do not bode well for us at all.
well he at least answers questions, you have lacked that ability for some time in here. What is the temperature of 20 PPM of CO2? Let's see that answer.

THINK!

:lmao::laugh2::laugh:

Source: yahoo newRead more: 'Sleeping giant' glacier may lift seas two metres: study

THINK!

well he at least answers questions, you have lacked that ability for some time in here. What is the temperature of 20 PPM of CO2? Let's see that answer.

No, actually, he does NOT answer questions. And, as we have seen here, he lies through his teeth.

There are a number of spots on the planet threatening dramatic sea level rise the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, Pine Island Glacier, Thwaites Glacier, all of Greenland, etc, etc, etc. That science knows the difference between facts and theory is not reason to reject science or accepted theories. It seems as if you would like to, but I'm afraid that justifies nothing.

Source: yahoo newRead more: 'Sleeping giant' glacier may lift seas two metres: study

THINK!

No, actually, he does NOT answer questions. And, as we have seen here, he lies through his teeth.

There are a number of spots on the planet threatening dramatic sea level rise the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, Pine Island Glacier, Thwaites Glacier, all of Greenland, etc, etc, etc. That science knows the difference between facts and theory is not reason to reject science or accepted theories. It seems as if you would like to, but I'm afraid that justifies nothing.
"There are a number of spots on the planet threatening dramatic sea level rise the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, Pine Island Glacier, Thwaites Glacier, all of Greenland, etc, etc, etc. That science knows the difference between facts and theory is not reason to reject science or accepted theories. It seems as if you would like to, but I'm afraid that justifies nothing."

Did we all miss something? When did all of these events happen? When did the Antarctic West shelf drop? What date, what were the casualties? Greenland melted? When? i thought you said it wouldn't all at once. OMG such tragedies. Ohhhhhhh my. I looked on the internet and didn't find one story to any of that. Please give me the link so that I may go read about how it all happened.

Thanks for making me aware of the events.

I will have to assume that you cannot use a search engine and that you cannot read simple English. All of these issues have been discussed here repeatedly.

I will have to assume that you cannot use a search engine and that you cannot read simple English. All of these issues have been discussed here repeatedly.
so the Antarctic Ice shelf dropped/melted? Really?

I see no other reason for panic like what is in this OP. I must therefore assume it happened. And I did search google and nothing about a collapse or melt of the Antarctic Ice Shelf.

Only if you're a panicky moron with no scientific literacy.

So, you believe that Martin Siegert, co-director of the Grantham Institute and Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London is a "panicky moron with no scientific literacy?

Mr. Westwall believes that any scientist that does not agree with him on every subject that he addresses is a panicky moron with no scientific literacy. And that includes the whole of the AGU and GSA. LOL

So, you believe that Martin Siegert, co-director of the Grantham Institute and Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London is a "panicky moron with no scientific literacy?

Loserterians do. This is why I compare these people to the taliban as they simply don't care about science and make shit up on the fly.

Forum List

Back