Slavery Reparations

Do you agree that the social and economic position that whites have today was due largely due in part to those thing which happened in the past, for example, slavery, Jim Crow legislation which systematically excluded blacks political and economically? If blacks cannot have reparations based on what happened in the past, whites should *NOT* have the social position that they have today because that position too was based on events that happened in the past. Whats good for the goose is damn sure good for the gander also.

Who said this was a communist country? Who says that every race and every person should live financially equal? I have not qualms admitting that the blacks got a raw deal when it came to slavery and civil rights, but with you're logic, we should also give all the land back to the Native AMericans, Give all the land back to the Spanish, have the Spanish pay reparations to all the native decendants whom they slaughtered, pay reparation to millions of Irish who came over and lived shitty lives in the 1800s...etc....

I see no sense in making people who (as well as their parents and parents before them) have never owned slaves pay money to people who have never been slaves. Every child in this world has the same opportunity no matter what social position they're born into. They are entitled to a free public education as any white kid, and entitled to just as much (if not more) financial assistance in day to day life and college.

I heard Obama give a speech today about black men failing black families. I feel that has more of an impact on blacks and their position in society rather than their ancestors being slaves 150 years ago.

I know, y7ou would rather just forget the whole thing and ignore that part of history.

Proof please?..... Oh that's right, you have none. Quit making stupid assumptions....

But you are not black, so you do not understand the stigma that it has caused. When blacks were freed from slavery they were stymied as second class citizens and worse. Today, that stigma still exists and bigotry thrives.

Thanks for the History lesson, I've already had this one.

There has been no qualifying event to redeem that piece of history or the decades and generations of brutality and discrimination. There is still discord. So you would rather every black person shut up about it so you will not feel an ounce of shame, but our history as a nation is not as noble as you would like to pretend.

As a matter of fact, I should not feel an ounce of shame. I have never owned a slave, I have never kicked a black person off of a bus, nor made a racial slur towards a black person. I also have family members who are black, so you're little assumptions and baseless opinions are exactly that, baseless. Not to mention ignorant. Bring something to the table or shut up until you can. I know more about the brutal history of this nation than you think smart ass, another one of your quick and unwarranted assumptions. If you can honestly sit there and say that I should feel guilty for some white dude 150 years ago enslaving a black dude, you've got more problems than I can imagine. I've been raised not to judge people by their skin color, and I've also been raised to treat everyone with respect if they've earned it. I was not raised to be dumbass that's going to cough up money I don't have to pay for something that happened 150 years ago that I had no part in. I've lived just as poor as many black folks do, so don't sit there and preach to me that they've got it bad because of my ancestors.

Just like Hillary could have made her point without interjecting the adjective "white" multiple times. :eusa_whistle:

But who cares, it's all water under the bridge now. :D

You mean by quoting the media? Of course not. She shouldn't have identified a demograph by its title, quoting the media and demograph she totally slammed his sorry ass in.

Thanks, Ravi for finding the ssentence in context.

Yes, regardless if my memory failed me, (and I still think he said something remarkably similar in one of the debates, BTW) my point is still 100%
correct.

Taken out of context that sentence is sure to mislead one about what Obama's intent and meaning was.

In fact, taken out of context it means exactly the opposite of his intended meaning, does it not?

His complaint was that we are being distracted by the media pouncing on gaffes, NOT that he was directing his staff to pounce on them to hurt Hillary.

I don't know what you call such a thing as pulling such a sentence out of context, like this.

But I call that sort of thing intellectual dishonesty.

Nice.. wow.. second time in one thread that someones had their proverbial ass handed to em...

"...I was not raised to be dumbass that's going to cough up money I don't have to pay for something that happened 150 years ago that I had no part in...."
But you were raised to be a dumbass that believes everything he reads on the internet without taking a moment to doublecheck its validity...

As a matter of fact, I should not feel an ounce of shame. {snip} I also have family members who are black

So the more Black people that *marry* into your family the less shame you should feel?

Just being a jackass, no need to respond.

I see no sense in making people who (as well as their parents and parents before them) have never owned slaves pay money to people who have never been slaves.

Neither (contrary to the rumor you were attempting to pass off as truth regarding Obama's thoughts regarding reparations) does OBAMA.

The FULL TEXT of that speech, a speech from which you so carefully parced out a single sentence show us that Obama's position was exactly the opposite of what you insinuated he believes.

Hence, my charge that your opening post was intellectually dishonest.

Perhaps, in your defence, you were merely misinformed.

This would mean your post merely completely wrong, but innocently so.

But given the obvious racially charged rumor you insinuated about his beliefs, and given how easily you could have checked to see what he really believes regarding reparations, I am somewhat dubious that your intentions toward Obama were entirely honorable.

Thanks, Ravi for finding the ssentence in context.

Yes, regardless if my memory failed me, (and I still think he said something remarkably similar in one of the debates, BTW) my point is still 100%
correct.

Taken out of context that sentence is sure to mislead one about what Obama's intent and meaning was.

In fact, taken out of context it means exactly the opposite of his intended meaning, does it not?

His complaint was that we are being distracted by the media pouncing on gaffes, NOT that he was directing his staff to pounce on them to hurt Hillary.

I don't know what you call such a thing as pulling such a sentence out of context, like this.

But I call that sort of thing intellectual dishonesty.

such bullcrud....

Obama's Campaign team PROMOTED LIES regarding racism and Hillary....then his followers and the Media.....

His TEAM of campaign workers continually emailed the Meida and used the Media OVER AND OVER AGAIN to smear the Hillary camp with a racism taint.

They did this...Obama workers and supporters promoted it and Obama too, with sly comments here and there....he's a smart man, HE KNEW EXACTLY how to use the race card and get ALL BLACKS behind him and HATING both Hillary and Bill....

Now, would another white candidate in his position do the same thing to Hillary that the Obama camp did in order to win....use their constituants and campaign members to promote something negative about her that was not true in order to get a specific group of his possible supporters in an ironclad position of only voting for him instead of Hillary.....SURE....probably so....

But this is what concerns me the most still about Obama, and that is the "above all of this" attitude that Obama tries to portray...that he is a new breed of politician that is above lobbying and above this kind of scuzziness on Politics....

And the fact of the matter is that HE IS NOT above it, he is part of it and drives his political wins by the same scuzziness that ALL politicians do.

And people need to stop making Obama seem like he is this Holy person that does not play dirty when necessary, because he played as dirty as he could and his ways WORKED.

This is how I see it....this is what facts show imo.

Care

Obama's Campaign team PROMOTED LIES regarding racism and Hillary....then his followers and the Media.....

His TEAM of campaign workers continually emailed the Meida and used the Media OVER AND OVER AGAIN to smear the Hillary camp with a racism taint.

They did this...Obama workers and supporters promoted it and Obama too, with sly comments here and there....he's a smart man, HE KNEW EXACTLY how to use the race card and get ALL BLACKS behind him and HATING both Hillary and Bill....

That may or may not all be true, but none of that has a thing to do with what I was talking BrianH's post to task for.

I was taking BrianH's post apart because it was so obviously DESIGNED to mislead us to think that OBAMA was a supporter of reparations.

Obama clearly does NOT support reparations

I suspect that BrianH already knew that which is exactly why he took what OBAMA said out of context.

In either case, whether he knew it or not, he should have checked before insinuating that Obama supports reparations, BEFORE HE MADE THAT CHARGE on this board

Hence my charge that the post was intellectually dishonest

Last edited:
That may or may not all be true, but none of that has a thing to do with what I was talking BrianH's post to task for.

I was taking BrianH's post apart because it was so obviously DESIGNED to mislead us to think that OBAMA was a supporter of reparations.

I suspect that BrianH already knew that which is exactly why he took what OBAMA said out of context.

In either case, whether he knew it or not, he should have checked before insinuating that Obama supports reparations, BEFORE HE MADE THAT CHARGE on this board

yeah, i do see what you are saying Edi....and i wouldn't go as far as saying it is intellectually dishonest of Brian just that Brian might have been caught up in the hooplah put out there from many sources regarding the issue of reparations....

and honestly, I did not know where senator obama stood on this issue and if Brian had not started this thread, (although not true), I would not even know where Obama stands on this and would have been susceptible to believe the false rumor myself....

care

I am not throwing a charge around that Obama is advocating anything. My OP stated that I had been hearing this rumor, and this rumor I posted a link that also advocated this rumor. I have not stated that Obama is advocating slavery reparations but only stated that I have heard he is an advocate of doing so and posted one link among many that have said so. I don't know whether he is an advocate or not, however, I thought this would be a good and interesting topic to post on the boards. I simply used the rumor as a platform to start a discussion about slavery reparations. If I was certain he was an advocate, I would have posted an actual credible source that stated he was in fact an advocate of it. After, I simply posted my opinion of slavery reparations.....NOTICE....no opinion regarding Obama.

ANd apparantly it was a good thread to start, because it seems that many people think that I (a person who has never owned slaves nor discriminated against anyone because of their skin color) should feel guilty and pay money to people (who have never been enslaved by me or at all). According to this logic, I should feel super guilty for some of my ancestors enslaving my other ancestors when Rome was at it's height. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back