Slavery reparations?

Are you for or against slavery reparations?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The many billions given to Africa in aid, by Britain, the US, France and other one time slave holders more than wipe out any notional 'reparations'.

What next? 'Reparations' demanded from Danes and Norwegians for all those raped women, stolen cows, murdered monks that the Vikings were responsible for?

The foreign aid given to Africa didn't then get divied up to American descendents of slavery.

Stop dodging my post punk!

Prove your kidnapping case!

I'm not dodging your question, I'm ignoring it as I'd sooner debate the color of the sky.

Thanks Sunni for the idea (sorta) re: 40 acres and a mule. :)

For.

We kidnapped them, enslaved them, should pay backwages. Fair's fair.

Not sure how this would work out. If you take the 2010 census, there are 38,929,319 African Americans in the States. Giving each 40 acres would equal out to 1,557,172,760 acres. Which comes out to 2,433,082 sq. miles. The United States is around 3,794,000 sq. miles. Would all other ethnicities have to move out? Maybe head North?

The 40 acres was a military decree after the Civil War when the pop was much lower. Was later overturned by another military official.

Reparations for slavery? Another "write me a check" scam for those who want free money. Another dose of 'feel good' for liberals that will have absolutely ZERO affect on social or economic situations.

If you're a sixth generation welfare African-American male (don't strip a gear, most aren't) and you've got seven children with seven different women, none of which are living with you and none of which you are involved with, does anyone really, honestly think a check for $1,000, or $10,000 or even $100,000 is going to make a difference? Really?

I have a radical idea. How about we give them the opportunity to succeed and then we get out of their way? If they CHOOSE to stand on the corner and do nothing, so be it. If they choose to make something out of themselves and succeed, we let them. My God, what a radical idea.

Liberal fluff and more crap.

For.

Technically the slaves were captured by other black people. Trivialities aside, yes, if any one is alive today who was a slave they should get back wages.

Paying reparations to the descendants of slaves might present a problem. How many black people came here after slavery was ended? They would necessarily have to pay into the reparations fund too. Even if reparations was paid to every verified descendant of a slave, that doesn't provide for the future generations of slave descendants who would be entitled to their own reparations.

How about we cut off the tit. Tell black people that Uncle Sugar had a financial mastectomy and they are on their own.

The 40 acres was a military decree after the Civil War when the pop was much lower. Was later overturned by another military official.

General Sherman's special field orders no. 15 was revoked by Pres. A Johnson. Guess I'm confused... Were you meaning that the United States should have given reparations to the freed slaves of that time? If so, I'd say Gen. Sherman never had the authority and the order was not intended to be permanent but rather to unburden him from the freed slaves(old and feeble) that couldn't fight. He later wrote to Pres. Johnson that the land given to these freed people would only be their's until the war was over.

For.

Not sure how this would work out. If you take the 2010 census, there are 38,929,319 African Americans in the States. Giving each 40 acres would equal out to 1,557,172,760 acres. Which comes out to 2,433,082 sq. miles. The United States is around 3,794,000 sq. miles. Would all other ethnicities have to move out? Maybe head North?

You're assuming every black person are descendants of slaves. And you would be wrong.

For.

Technically the slaves were captured by other black people. Trivialities aside, yes, if any one is alive today who was a slave they should get back wages.

Exactly. Any surviving slaves I would agree deserve compensation.

For.

You're assuming every black person are descendants of slaves. And you would be wrong.

I wasn't sure what Delta4Embassy was getting at with this thread, if he meant that reparations should be given to the descedents or should have been given after the civil war. Reparations are impossible today and Gen. Sherman never had the authority to issue Order no. 15 in the first place.

For.

Exactly. Any surviving slaves I would agree deserve compensation.

Any surviving slave would have to be at least 151 years old now. Slavery ended in 1863.

I wasn't sure what Delta4Embassy was getting at with this thread, if he meant that reparations should be given to the descedents or should have been given after the civil war. Reparations are impossible today and Gen. Sherman never had the authority to issue Order no. 15 in the first place.

I think Delta4 is a white liberal harboring a lot of guilt for not liking black people and wants the rest of society to help ease that guilt by giving blacks even more money for nothing.

yeah because anyone who see blacks as equal must hate black people huh?

Gee why cant you convince black people with such a great argument huh?

How about THIS?
Every black child who can get a certain grade average gets free college?

How about THIS?
Every black child who can get a certain grade average gets free college?

Not every one should go to college, not even white kids.

How about treating all children black, brown, yellow, red or white exactly the same?

You're all over the place in this thread Truthmatters... giving something free to any ethnicity wouldn't be seeing them as equals and there are many scholarships for the African American community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back