Slave Descendants File $1B Lawsuit

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
What makes these people think they are entitled to anything? How have they suffered or been damaged in any way?

NEW YORK - Descendants of slaves filed a $1 billion lawsuit Monday against U.S. and British corporations, accusing them of profiting by committing genocide against their ancestors.

Lawyers for the eight plaintiffs said the complaint was the first slave reparations lawsuit to use DNA to link the plaintiffs to Africans who suffered atrocities during the slave trade.

The suit filed in federal court in Manhattan accuses Lloyd's of London, FleetBoston and R.J. Reynolds of "aiding and abetting the commission of genocide" by allegedly financing and insuring the ships that delivered slaves to tobacco plantations in the United States.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...0040329/ap_on_re_us/slave_reparations_lawsuit

I am in favor of any living slaveholder paying repirations to any living former slave.

Otherwise, take a quarter and call someone who cares!

First, how on earth are they going to argue that someones ancestors committed genocide against their ancestors? I mean the fact that they exist shows that there was no genocide. How does a race who is systematically wiped out have children?

Second, does this mean jews will be suing all descendents of Africans for holding them in bondage?

I'd like to officially notify the government of egypt that I'm filing a 525 billion dollar lawsuit on behalf of all hebrews that are left.

:banana:

well if they are going to file this lawsuit over here, they also need to start one in africa. seeing as how their <I>other</i> ancestors sold them into slavery. hey its only fair.

I have to totally agree with you Johnney. If these people want to file suit for something that happened in history they should look back a few more years. Their own people sold them to begin with. I hope the defense brings this point up this would seriously damage their case. Personally, I doubt whether this case will even have standing or go to trial. This is an ubsurd abuse of the legal system that wastes YOURS AND MINE tax money. This is ridiculous. If they win though then I'm filing suit because my Irish ancestors were discriminated against in the 1800s.

Slavery was a dark period in the history of America. It is awful that slavery ever existed and genocide occured but it ended 150 years ago. It is water under the bridge its time to let it go. No African American living today has been directly effected by slavery so there is no real case here.

What would happen if Al Sharpton was elected president...We would all be paying reparations...lets hope that never happens.

I hope the court doesn't stand for this. And it better not end up being some big Supreme Court case.

If this case is heard and the plaintiffs win it will set a precedent and hundreds of suits just like it will be filed ASAP. This could have an effect on our economy if that trend were to continue. If these corporations keep being sued for a few billion a hundred times over theres no way they will be able to stay in business. People should stop being so greedy. This is a litigous society already the last thing we need is more far fetched law suits like the woman who spilt her coffee on herself, sued, and won millions.

Forum List

Back