Slave Descendants File $1B Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jimnyc, Mar 29, 2004.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    What makes these people think they are entitled to anything? How have they suffered or been damaged in any way?

NEW YORK - Descendants of slaves filed a $1 billion lawsuit Monday against U.S. and British corporations, accusing them of profiting by committing genocide against their ancestors.

Lawyers for the eight plaintiffs said the complaint was the first slave reparations lawsuit to use DNA to link the plaintiffs to Africans who suffered atrocities during the slave trade.

The suit filed in federal court in Manhattan accuses Lloyd's of London, FleetBoston and R.J. Reynolds of "aiding and abetting the commission of genocide" by allegedly financing and insuring the ships that delivered slaves to tobacco plantations in the United States.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...0040329/ap_on_re_us/slave_reparations_lawsuit

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I am in favor of any living slaveholder paying repirations to any living former slave.

Otherwise, take a quarter and call someone who cares!

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,176
    First, how on earth are they going to argue that someones ancestors committed genocide against their ancestors? I mean the fact that they exist shows that there was no genocide. How does a race who is systematically wiped out have children?

Second, does this mean jews will be suing all descendents of Africans for holding them in bondage?

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'd like to officially notify the government of egypt that I'm filing a 525 billion dollar lawsuit on behalf of all hebrews that are left.

:banana:

5. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Yeehaa! DK's gonna be rich! Can I borrow a few mil until I get on my feet?

6. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    sure thing jim. granted this is all on contingency but I figure with the bible as my evidence I can't lose. :dev1:

7. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    well if they are going to file this lawsuit over here, they also need to start one in africa. seeing as how their <I>other</i> ancestors sold them into slavery. hey its only fair.

8. Jownzee29

Jownzee29 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to totally agree with you Johnney. If these people want to file suit for something that happened in history they should look back a few more years. Their own people sold them to begin with. I hope the defense brings this point up this would seriously damage their case. Personally, I doubt whether this case will even have standing or go to trial. This is an ubsurd abuse of the legal system that wastes YOURS AND MINE tax money. This is ridiculous. If they win though then I'm filing suit because my Irish ancestors were discriminated against in the 1800s.

9. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Consider this my official notice to all ROMANS for the enslavement of my Briton ancestors. Pay up, Tony!

10. clumzgirl

clumzgirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm 1/32 Native American. Does that mean I can sue all your asses? Or just 1 out of every 32?