"Slate" Hates Homeschoolers!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1."Liberals, Don’t Homeschool Your Kids...
Why teaching children at home violates progressive values.

2.... the filmmaker Astra Taylor was “unschooled” by her lefty, countercultural parents. “My siblings and I slept late and never knew what day of the week it was,” Taylor writes in a new essay in the literary journal N+1.

a. “We were never tested, graded, or told to memorize dates, facts, or figures. … Some days we read books, made music, painted, or drew. Other days we argued and fought over the computer. Endless hours were spent watching reruns of ‘The Simpsons’ on videotape, though we had every episode memorized. When we weren’t inspired—which was often—we simply did nothing at all.”

3. Over the past year, there has been a resurgence of interest in homeschooling—not just the religious fundamentalist variety practiced by Michele Bachman and Rick Santorum, but also in secular, liberal homeschooling like Taylor’s.

4. Think no textbooks, history lessons about progressive social movements, and college-level math for precocious 13-year-olds. Some families implement this vision on their own, while others join cooperatives of like-minded, super-involved parents.

5. Yet whether liberal or conservative, “[o]ne article of faith unites all homeschoolers: that homeschooling should be unregulated,” Reich writes. “Homeschoolers of all stripes believe that they alone should decide how their children are educated.”

6. Could such a go-it-alone ideology ever be truly progressive—by which I mean, does homeschooling serve the interests not just of those who are doing it, but of society as a whole?

7. ...overheated hostility toward public schools runs throughout the new literature on liberal homeschooling, and reveals what is so fundamentally illiberal about the trend: It is rooted in distrust of the public sphere, in class privilege, and in the dated presumption that children hail from two-parent families, in which at least one parent can afford (and wants) to take significant time away from paid work in order to manage a process—education—that most parents entrust to the community at-large.

8. In a country increasingly separated by cultural chasms—Christian conservatives vs. secular humanists; Tea Partiers vs. Occupiers—should we really encourage children to trust only their parents or those hand-selected by them, and to mistrust civic life and public institutions?

9. Nor can we allow homeschoolers to believe their choice impacts only their own offspring.....Low-income kids earn higher test scores when they attend school alongside middle-class kids, while the test scores of privileged children are impervious to the influence of less-privileged peers. So when college-educated parents pull their kids out of public schools, whether for private school or homeschooling, they make it harder for less-advantaged children to thrive.

10. But government is the only institution with the power and scale to intervene in the massive undertaking of better educating American children, 90 percent of whom currently attend public schools.... Lefty homeschoolers might be preaching sound social values to their children, but they aren’t practicing them. If progressives want to improve schools, we shouldn’t empty them out. We ought to flood them with our kids,..."
Homeschooling and unschooling among liberals and progressives. - Slate Magazine

No...this is not from The Onion...every word between the quotation marks is from the Slate article.
Really.

I am a homeschool mom, not an "unschooler," and I found that the opinion of this cartoon of a Left-winger was the best reason to homeschool!

So...and, especially if you have young children...did you agree with Ms. Goldstein?

Just think two points need to be re iterated.
7. ...overheated hostility toward public schools runs throughout the new literature on liberal homeschooling, and reveals what is so fundamentally illiberal about the trend: It is rooted in distrust of the public sphere, in class privilege, and in the dated presumption that children hail from two-parent families, in which at least one parent can afford (and wants) to take significant time away from paid work in order to manage a process—education—that most parents entrust to the community at-large.

8. In a country increasingly separated by cultural chasms—Christian conservatives vs. secular humanists; Tea Partiers vs. Occupiers—should we really encourage children to trust only their parents or those hand-selected by them, and to mistrust civic life and public institutions?

It is totally a matter of class. Plus They don't want their precious liberal kids to see the real world. But Class segregation is the main point. They love the proletariat. They just don't want to associate with them.

Slate isn't actually liberal, more middle of the road.

That said, my very liberal brother homeschooled his daughters and they are both very intelligent and currently in grad school.

I have mixed feelings about homeschooling. i think i am more supportive of it in early years, but doubt most parents can teach their children math, chemistry, geometry, trig, physics, english, etc from about 6th grade up. Yeah, they might be able to do well with some subjects but very few people can do all of those. And for some of the families in our areas, honestly, some of them are a bit weird about it. What i have found is that there are some who are gung ho for the first year of doing it, but the kids wind up back in public school or private school because it is a lot more work than they thought. For some others, i think they just settle in and basically plop their kids in front of a computer for a couple hours and that' s it. I am not against people who choose to do this, but it isn't something i would want to undertake.

To do it well requires a huge commitment from both parents. And there is something to be said for socialization skills that can only be learned in a setting with a wide variety of people.

I totally support those that can and do do it. But those that can't and try are doing their kids a disservice.

Just think two points need to be re iterated.

It is totally a matter of class. Plus They don't want their precious liberal kids to see the real world. But Class segregation is the main point. They love the proletariat. They just don't want to associate with them.

For purposes of background...and not in contention with the basis of your post....I am a member of several homeschool groups, and participate in various organized trips and functions (talent shows, science fairs, museum trips, etc,) and must report that the vast majority of homeschool parents are way liberal, and live in totally integrated and diverse communities.
And are very proud of that.

As structured and academically-oriented homeschoolers, we are, by far, in the minority.
In fact many are 'unschoolers', as per the Slate article.

But even so, the author of the article would be roundly berated by these folks (you should see some of the on-line and email comments) due to suggestions that homeschooling shouldn't be 'allowed,' and that only government knows what's best.

"It is totally a matter of class."
Not certain what you mean by class.

Slate isn't actually liberal, more middle of the road.

That said, my very liberal brother homeschooled his daughters and they are both very intelligent and currently in grad school.

Regards to bro!
I think the objection, PC, comes more from parents dumbing down science and teaching that Jesus rode a dinosaur.

Done right, homeschooling can be very useful considering that kids learn differently.

I see homeschoolers on both sides. I see extremely conservative people who homeschool. I also see some very liberal people who homeschool. It isn't just one group of people.

I have mixed feelings about homeschooling. i think i am more supportive of it in early years, but doubt most parents can teach their children math, chemistry, geometry, trig, physics, english, etc from about 6th grade up. Yeah, they might be able to do well with some subjects but very few people can do all of those. And for some of the families in our areas, honestly, some of them are a bit weird about it. What i have found is that there are some who are gung ho for the first year of doing it, but the kids wind up back in public school or private school because it is a lot more work than they thought. For some others, i think they just settle in and basically plop their kids in front of a computer for a couple hours and that' s it. I am not against people who choose to do this, but it isn't something i would want to undertake.

Yup...I've seen a lot of what you write....

But...one of our groups hires a teacher from time to time. Some of the moms teach courses.

We purchase entire curricula for each of our children, (K12.com) seven separate courses, plus Rosetta Stone language.

We find it very doable.
But, yes...it takes a lot of effort.

The author of the article could use a little more schooling.

Had this article been penned by a conservative as some sort of satire, it would be amusing...but I don't believe I have ever seen a more revealing example of Liberal thinking, and of Progressive desires...

....and even folks who would call themselves Liberal are incensed!!!

This Goldstein woman clearly identifies the divide between those of us who elevate the individual, as opposed to those who worship the collective:

"teaching children at home violates progressive values."

...the need for indoctrination: "history lessons about progressive social movements,

...removing a parents rights: "“Homeschoolers of all stripes believe that they alone should decide how their children are educated."

..."does homeschooling serve the interests not just of those who are doing it, but of society as a whole?"

...how affronted Liberals are that a parent might love his or her child more than money??? "at least one parent can afford (and wants) to take significant time away from paid work in order to manage a process—education..."

And the ubiquitous charge of racism: "they make it harder for less-advantaged children to thrive."

And, the cat is out of the bag: " But government is the only institution..."

Nowhere have I seen Liberalism summarized as well as Ms. Goldstein does here: "Nor can we allow homeschoolers to believe their choice impacts only their own offspring."

Now, we have inveterate Liberals, progressives by the ton on this board...but none of them can defend this ideologue.
Hope you remember this in November....

Remember what? I am not a liberal but a conservative and i am making the point there are stripes of both sides on the homeschool aisle. I didn't say i agree with that article at all.

Remember what? I am not a liberal but a conservative and i am making the point there are stripes of both sides on the homeschool aisle. I didn't say i agree with that article at all.

Sorry, Gaga, if you thought that the above was directed to you.

I was speaking to the board in general, even though Listening isn't liberal either.

Perhaps I should have said "I hope everyone remembers......including our Liberal friends....."
My bad.

So, my point in that post was that even if one leans Liberal, the OP shows the real direction this nation will travel if one mistakes the velvet glove for the iron fist inside.

Last edited:
Of course Slate opposes homeschooling.

Can't have any kids not indoctrinated in approved leftist groupthink, can we?

On one hand teachers can't teach, but yet on the other hand they are highly effective at indoctrination?

Most teachers I know try to indoctrinate kids against stealing, lying, and intimidation of others. How shameful is that?

1."Liberals, Don’t Homeschool Your Kids...
Why teaching children at home violates progressive values.

2.... the filmmaker Astra Taylor was “unschooled” by her lefty, countercultural parents. “My siblings and I slept late and never knew what day of the week it was,” Taylor writes in a new essay in the literary journal N+1.

a. “We were never tested, graded, or told to memorize dates, facts, or figures. … Some days we read books, made music, painted, or drew. Other days we argued and fought over the computer. Endless hours were spent watching reruns of ‘The Simpsons’ on videotape, though we had every episode memorized. When we weren’t inspired—which was often—we simply did nothing at all.”

3. Over the past year, there has been a resurgence of interest in homeschooling—not just the religious fundamentalist variety practiced by Michele Bachman and Rick Santorum, but also in secular, liberal homeschooling like Taylor’s.

4. Think no textbooks, history lessons about progressive social movements, and college-level math for precocious 13-year-olds. Some families implement this vision on their own, while others join cooperatives of like-minded, super-involved parents.

5. Yet whether liberal or conservative, “[o]ne article of faith unites all homeschoolers: that homeschooling should be unregulated,” Reich writes. “Homeschoolers of all stripes believe that they alone should decide how their children are educated.”

6. Could such a go-it-alone ideology ever be truly progressive—by which I mean, does homeschooling serve the interests not just of those who are doing it, but of society as a whole?

9. Nor can we allow homeschoolers to believe their choice impacts only their own offspring.....Low-income kids earn higher test scores when they attend school alongside middle-class kids, while the test scores of privileged children are impervious to the influence of less-privileged peers. So when college-educated parents pull their kids out of public schools, whether for private school or homeschooling, they make it harder for less-advantaged children to thrive.

10. But government is the only institution with the power and scale to intervene in the massive undertaking of better educating American children, 90 percent of whom currently attend public schools.... Lefty homeschoolers might be preaching sound social values to their children, but they aren’t practicing them. If progressives want to improve schools, we shouldn’t empty them out. We ought to flood them with our kids,..."
Homeschooling and unschooling among liberals and progressives. - Slate Magazine

No...this is not from The Onion...every word between the quotation marks is from the Slate article.
Really.

I am a homeschool mom, not an "unschooler," and I found that the opinion of this cartoon of a Left-winger was the best reason to homeschool!

So...and, especially if you have young children...did you agree with Ms. Goldstein?

I've seem mixed results from homeschooled kids.

But I certainly believe that a motivated parent with time CAN do a terrific job of educating their kids.

Forum List

Back